Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Damn bike (2005 ZX-6R, 8500 miles) wouldn't start yesterday. Sum bitch, frickin POS. Same deal as last month. It'll crank, but won't fire. Finally got it started by holding the throttle wide open and cranking (took a few tries over 1.5 hours and putting the battery on the Battery Tender in between to re-charge it). Ran fine the rest of the day. Put over 400 miles on it sampling some fine eastern Ohio twisties. Started fine and ran great the rest of the day.

Here's the thread from last month when this happened:
http://www.kawiforums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=61843

So what's the deal here? More than a few people have complained about an otherwise perfectly running bike not starting. A friend of friend that has the same bike and has had several similar incidents thinks that the ECU gets confused if you start the bike and don't let it come up to temperature before turning it off. Any thoughts?

I changed the oil last week, started it up with the left lower fairing off (in case the oil light stayed on and I needed to "burp" it). Everything looked fine, so I turned it off with the temp gauge reading 117 and put the fairing back on. Went to start it yesterday morning and was screwed. It sounds normal for the first few seconds of cranking (the very first time), then gets this different sound to it when it cranks, but won't fire.

There has to be an explanation for what's going on. I hope it's fixable or at least can understand what's happening and how to get it started quickly after it screws up if it's a design flaw in the bike. I have little patience for this kind of crap. I expect my bike to be reliable. My Triumph never failed to start or ever left me stranded in 43K miles. This is the third time in two months my Kawi has let me down (dead battery in late May and this won't start crap twice).

·
28,939 Posts
ive only heard of this twice garry, and they were after the bikes got washed i believe. i personally have never had a problem with mine either. are you still under warranty? if so id take it to the dealer and complain, maybe they will cut you a break on an extended warranty or something. im with ya though, if you cant trust it to start its no fun especially in the hills of WV with no houses or cell phones...lol

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by hoser
ive only heard of this twice garry, and they were after the bikes got washed i believe. i personally have never had a problem with mine either. are you still under warranty? if so id take it to the dealer and complain, maybe they will cut you a break on an extended warranty or something. im with ya though, if you cant trust it to start its no fun especially in the hills of WV with no houses or cell phones...lol
Read the previous thread. All kinds of people have had this issue. No washing involved, and it did start fine immediately after the oil change. I just didn't let it get up to full/normal temp. I already have an extended warranty. Now if someone just started the bike after washing it or changing the oil, didn't let it get fully up to temp, then turned it off...

I'm going to call the dealer, but don't expect anything useful. I'm sure as hell not going to leave the bike there while they just poke at it for a couple weeks and declare it fine. It's riding season. Unless I drag it there while its dead (no truck or trailer to do so), what are they going to do? Look at the ECU for a fault code maybe...

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by hoser

+1

last time this happened you didnt change the plugs did you? id say its time
I doubt it's plugs. The bike starts and runs like new. Except when it doesn't. But then its fine again once started. Bad plugs don't act like that. Still, it's about time to put new ones in there I guess. What a PITA job. Not looking forward to it. Too busy riding to have the bike down while I try to figure out how the damn jigsaw puzzle comes apart and goes back together.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.