Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO so my rear brake is feeling spongey this past couple of nites out, but then it's also been cold here in NY.

Today I bleed the rear, figure there might be some air in there.
Anyways, i pump the brake, open the valve and close it,
and repeat, seems ok, I tighten the nut again,
hmmm it feels loose, so I tighten it a bit more.
(I'm not a 200lb ape, more like a 130lb chimpaneze, so my muscles really don't put humungous tourque on it)
As I tighten it I heap "POP"!
DOH! doh! Doh!
the freaking caliper cracks !!!
I got weak gilrie arms, how the hell did that happen!?
a whole chunk of aluminum with the bleeder nut comes off.
Now I don't have no rear brakes!!! :( wah, wah wah....
ANd it's gettign warmer here, I was so looking forward to takign it out :(....

sucks to be me...

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
We don need no stinkin' rear brakes! I seldom use mine unless it is raining. You can probably find one on eBay cheap. There was some guy selling lots of parts for the '95-'97. Email him because he probably has one that he didn't list because rear calipers are not usually a hot item.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
yeah, a torque wrench could of guided you on the right way.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Originally posted by swjohnsey

We don need no stinkin' rear brakes! I seldom use mine unless it is raining. You can probably find one on eBay cheap. There was some guy selling lots of parts for the '95-'97. Email him because he probably has one that he didn't list because rear calipers are not usually a hot item.
I use my rear all the time, I try to apply even braking. Works well for me.
He is right though, you can survive without one for a little until the replacement comes in..

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have a spare off a 2001 I dont know if it will work but check the parts diagrams and let me know if you want it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oppps, forgot to mention this is on my 2002 ZX6R!
I sold my 1996 bike already.....

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thing that confuses me is that the bolt never did tighten down.....
It was loose from the get go, I think thats how air got in there in the 1st place.
I tried tightening it, but it it just kept turning, then eventually "Pop" and "DOH!"

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Originally posted by CdnNinjaZX6R

Originally posted by swjohnsey

I use my rear all the time, I try to apply even braking. Works well for me.
He is right though, you can survive without one for a little until the replacement comes in..
I only use my rear to increase the lifespan of my front pads, that's how cheap I am:D Hey, if the budget is tight, then what can you do[:M113]

Screw it, you really don't NEED the rear for anything, though it's nice to have while standing still or going down steep gravel/off-road hills, but how often do you do that. And you can always manage with the front as well. If someone told you that 75/25 front/rear max brake thing, then forget it, doesn't apply to modern sportbikes, in the dry at least.

So go on, you can safely take her out for a ride.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
The bleeders are probably the one thing on your bike you don't want to torque. They have a nasty habit of breaking or seezing. I think they rust and get thinner with age so older bikes a particularly succeptable. Speedbleeder makes some trick stainless one to replace those nasty rusty ones.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.