Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always use motorex chain lube made specifically for sportbikes. well, the shop goofed and sent me the fully synthetic version thats for motocross and enduro. Its X and O ring safe but do you guys think it will cause any problems? I have been using motorex from day 1 and had no problems with the other stuff....but looks like it goes on clear not like the sportbike lube which is a white pasty color.

·
Registered
550 Posts
As long as it's o-ring safe like you say, it's not going to hurt anything. I'd bet being for dirt bikes it's just lighter and less tacky, to avoid attracting dirt since they're exposed to much more of it. As such, it won't last as long, but it'll work just as well. Anything that doesn't eat the rubber rings and provides some slipperiness will do just fine. I'd switch back to the other though, just because that stuff will probably sling off easier and won't last as long. Do keep an eye on the fling-off, though -- make sure it isn't spraying a lot out onto the wheel and tire - chain lube sprayed on the side-wall in large amounts is bad, because it normally only runs up to the outer edge of the tread which doesn't hit the ground much. As such, it doesn't make your tire slippery until you're cranked over, which is the absolute worst time to be on slippery rubber.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
I like BelRay Superclean

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I used on my old chain for 15-17k Silkolene Synthetic Race lube and that chain even at 17k was pretty good still except for a few tight links but other then that I have used on my recent RK X-Ring the Dupont Lube stuff they sell in Lowes and overaul I have only got 10k out of this chain with the seals torn up and kinks in it. My next chain I install next week will be getting the Silkolene again.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Originally posted by southjersey636
I used on my old chain for 15-17k Silkolene Synthetic Race lube and that chain even at 17k was pretty good still except for a few tight links but other then that I have used on my recent RK X-Ring the Dupont Lube stuff they sell in Lowes and overaul I have only got 10k out of this chain with the seals torn up and kinks in it. My next chain I install next week will be getting the Silkolene again.
RK chains are crap. I had an RK X-ring and the damn thing was shot at 12K miles. My DID ZVM went 20K+ with the same maintenance and lubing. I don't think changing to a different lube was the reason the RK died quicker. It's just a cheapo chain at a cheapo price.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well im hoping to get at least 10k outta mine...and this motocross lube definately aint gonna get the job done. I rode in to work and it was literally dripping from the kickstand. oh well, lesson learned. :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Just spray a rag with wd-49 and spin the chain get it all clean and shiny, now your done. The change has lube in the o/x ring at every link. I'got no issues with my other bike at 5000 miles so far, and doesnt fling shit all over.
OU!

If its cold and raing I will use it here or there just because of corrosion problems, bu never during summer.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Originally posted by carlos durrah
Well im hoping to get at least 10k outta mine...and this motocross lube definately aint gonna get the job done. I rode in to work and it was literally dripping from the kickstand. oh well, lesson learned. :)
That sucks, because it's probably all under the tail, on your boot, all over the wheel...make sure you check that tire for spray -- I'm not sure how to clean it off if it's all over the tread, but I know at least one guy here low-sided because of that. He over lubed the chain and it sprayed everywhere -- different problem, but same result. Watch your ass.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah i am. I took it easy on the way home cause i checked the wheel and sure enough it was on the side tread like you mentioned. Ima go out here today and use some soap and water and scrub the tires pretty good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.