Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to make a decision on what damper to purchase. I have been looking over the old threads as this has been discussed a lot. I have had some bad headshake from time to time and its definitely not fun. I have read that rotary dampers are more durable in crashes and don’t need to be rebuilt like piston dampers because of leaking seals. On the other hand I love the looks of a piston damper. I see positives and negatives on some of the most common dampers. The Ohlins would be nice but is out of my price range and I probably wouldn’t be able to tell the difference from it and a lower quality one. The Hyperpro looks good and is in my price range and it seems they are favored. The GPR has the lowest price out of all of them but seems very tall. The Scott’s is a little more expensive then the GPR but looks better and (can be transferred to another bike with a new mounting kit)? I could deal with drilling the holes in my frame. Is all of what I said correct and am I missing anything or is their any other options I am missing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
if you like the ohlins, then save up and find a good used one. they are pretty universal. then just get a mounting bracket new for your bike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
348 Posts
Scotts is built by Ohlins.

Both the Scotts and GPR can mount on a different bike with a new mount.

All types need occasional service.

I would vote for scotts or GPR. GPR is a bit easier to adjust with gloves on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
579 Posts
If you can deal with drilling and tapping, get the scotts. It is easier than everyone makes it to be. and I agree that it looks better than the gpr.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
i love my scotts its not hard at all to adjust with gloves on as you have a fairly good size knob sticking up. i got mine for $404 and some change no tax, no shipping, and was at my door next day. drilling aeint shit i think everyone is afraid that they will fuck their bike up because they are retarded with tools. just my opinion thouhg. i have a honda 450f and the damper switch from bike to bike. for 50 dollars more you get a way better looking damper (i cant say it works better cause ive never had a gpr), and you wont be like everyone else and their mommas

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
Originally posted by anthony636
i love my scotts its not hard at all to adjust with gloves on as you have a fairly good size knob sticking up. i got mine for $404 and some change no tax, no shipping, and was at my door next day.
hey, why do you have a wrist band over that tank thing next to your gauges?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
520 Posts
Originally posted by ben8jam<br>


hey, why do you have a wrist band over that tank thing next to your gauges?
He uses it as a whiskey flask. Nah... it keeps the brake fluid from turning brown from sunlight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I read somthing about it breaking the brake fluid down also it serves to absorb any brake fluid incase of an accident which is extremely corrosive on your paint.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
520 Posts
Yeah sunlight turns it yellow-ish brown. I guess it could also second as an asorber in the event of a crack or spill. That brake fluid is nasty stuff but as far as I know DOT 4-6 is not as corrosive as DOT 3 as used in cagers. Its silicon based so its less harfull, correct me if im worng.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,573 Posts
Originally posted by SubHuman
Yeah sunlight turns it yellow-ish brown. I guess it could also second as an asorber in the event of a crack or spill. That brake fluid is nasty stuff but as far as I know DOT 4-6 is not as corrosive as DOT 3 as used in cagers. Its silicon based so its less harfull, correct me if im worng.
Yeah, so you get 3 seconds to clean it up instead of 1 second before it eats your paint...lol

Originally posted by ben8jam

hey, why do you have a wrist band over that tank thing next to your gauges?
It protects against leaks and also protects the fluid from breaking down from the sun, cause we all know brown break fluid tastes like SH*T, even if it is in a Molson bottle.....what can I say, we had a few beers and needed to flush the breaks and clutch on my buddies race bike....empty bottle was used and set next to my beer...YUCK[xx(]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
520 Posts
Originally posted by morel_greg
I am trying to make a decision on what damper to purchase. I have been looking over the old threads as this has been discussed a lot. I have had some bad headshake from time to time and its definitely not fun. I have read that rotary dampers are more durable in crashes and don’t need to be rebuilt like piston dampers because of leaking seals. On the other hand I love the looks of a piston damper. I see positives and negatives on some of the most common dampers. The Ohlins would be nice but is out of my price range and I probably wouldn’t be able to tell the difference from it and a lower quality one. The Hyperpro looks good and is in my price range and it seems they are favored. The GPR has the lowest price out of all of them but seems very tall. The Scott’s is a little more expensive then the GPR but looks better and (can be transferred to another bike with a new mounting kit)? I could deal with drilling the holes in my frame. Is all of what I said correct and am I missing anything or is their any other options I am missing?
Yeah buy my GPR Black, used for 5 months for $275 shipped. You wont regret this purchase. Check the link below.

http://www.kawiforums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=70720
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top