Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey fellas,
Ive had my zx6-r for 2 yrs now, (its a 97, yes, i know time for an upgrade), and i was wondering whats the verdict on triumph's

I like the look of the 675, ( http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/Daytona 675_5345.aspx )

Its a cool bike, and i don't see many of them out there. I have heard however that (triumph) are not reliable/dependable and parts would be super expensive, and its better to just go with a Japanese bike.

What say you?

Oh i wanna get the 08'

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hey fellas,
Ive had my zx6-r for 2 yrs now, (its a 97, yes, i know time for an upgrade), and i was wondering whats the verdict on triumph's

I like the look of the 675, ( http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/Daytona 675_5345.aspx )

Its a cool bike, and i don't see many of them out there. I have heard however that (triumph) are not reliable/dependable and parts would be super expensive, and its better to just go with a Japanese bike.

What say you?

Oh i wanna get the 08'
You can't believe everything you hear. ;) A friend of mine has over 8000, track only miles on his '06 675 and hasnt had any problems whatsoever.

Triumphs are excellent bikes. The 675 has more power/torque than any jap 600 (even more than the old 636) and handles like a damn cat. The 675 has won tons of awards in the past couple of years.

Since they have become more and more popular in the sportbike world, aftermarket parts (and replacement parts) are fairly easy to come by. Not to mention that they are the only sportbike to come stock with SS brake lines and Pirelli Supercorsa's.

The cons:

They are tall. They are built for the track and have alot of ground clearance. Which is great for high lean angles...but they aren't the easiest bikes to navigate around the driveway/parking lots (and i am 6'2"). My g/f is 5'2" and she can't touch the ground on one.

The seat is hard as a rock and very square. It is so square that if i planned on race prepping one, i would add foam to the middle of it to make it easier to fall from side to side.

Because they are rare, you are less likely to walk through the paddock and acquire that very much needed spare rearset after a get-off.

With all of that being said, i would wait and get an '09. The biggest downfalls to the 675 has always been the suspension and the fact that it is virtually unchanged since it came out. BUT, it has been redesigned for '09 with a better suspension, better brakes etc.

Personally, i wouldnt hesitate about getting one.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
i've always liked them too. they are sharp looking bikes. like chaos said, that bike has won numerous awards. and has even more torque than my old :( 636

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
Dont hesitate for a minute, the bike is gorgeous to look at, and as mentioned load of torque (more than a 750)for getting out of a corner and you wont be tap dancing on the shifter all day long.
I have owned a triumph 955i in the past and had Zero issues and know of 3 people with the 675 and they all have had no issues either.

If i didnt have all the money i put into my 636 this would of been the bike i had instead..

DO it man!

·
Powerhungry
38,157 Posts
You can't believe everything you hear. ;) A friend of mine has over 8000, track only miles on his '06 675 and hasnt had any problems whatsoever.

Triumphs are excellent bikes. The 675 has more power/torque than any jap 600 (even more than the old 636) and handles like a damn cat. The 675 has won tons of awards in the past couple of years.

Since they have become more and more popular in the sportbike world, aftermarket parts (and replacement parts) are fairly easy to come by. Not to mention that they are the only sportbike to come stock with SS brake lines and Pirelli Supercorsa's.

The cons:

They are tall. They are built for the track and have alot of ground clearance. Which is great for high lean angles...but they aren't the easiest bikes to navigate around the driveway/parking lots (and i am 6'2"). My g/f is 5'2" and she can't touch the ground on one.

The seat is hard as a rock and very square. It is so square that if i planned on race prepping one, i would add foam to the middle of it to make it easier to fall from side to side.

Because they are rare, you are less likely to walk through the paddock and acquire that very much needed spare rearset after a get-off.

With all of that being said, i would wait and get an '09. The biggest downfalls to the 675 has always been the suspension and the fact that it is virtually unchanged since it came out. BUT, it has been redesigned for '09 with a better suspension, better brakes etc.

Personally, i wouldnt hesitate about getting one.
i've always liked them too. they are sharp looking bikes. like chaos said, that bike has won numerous awards. and has even more torque than my old :( 636
we were talking about this just the other day.

are you guys sure on those power numbers? i HAD thought the same thing. until i looked it up. the 08 675 has less power than the 05 636......

something like 104 hp/47 tq, for the 675, and 130/52 for the 636 *published numbers.* :dunno:
like i said, i originally thought it was higher...

anyone else find anything different?

·
Registered
267 Posts
The Triumph site lists the TQ @ 72Nm (53ft.lbf) at 11,750 rpm
I would imagine thats at the crank, but it's still more than the big 4.

·
Powerhungry
38,157 Posts
The Triumph site lists the TQ @ 72Nm (53ft.lbf) at 11,750 rpm
I would imagine thats at the crank, but it's still more than the big 4.
at the crank, thats got to be VERY close to the 636. i couldnt find it on kawi tho :dunno:

BUT, the tq on the 675 comes on WAY sooner. has something like 40+ at 4500 rpms. which is pretty much insane!.

here, i stole this from the PWT from yesteday

·
Registered
353 Posts
Good track bikes, but very racey egros. Pain in the butt to ride on the street. Biggest deciding factor would be local dealer. Our one local dealer for Triumph is a bunch of douches. I've know people waiting 3-4 months for parts, and with a short riding season here, that can ruin a year.

·
Registered
417 Posts
According to the latest reports, the 2009 675 is supposed to put 120+ HP at the rear wheel.

Something that should be mentioned also, the 675 is legal in C-SS and C-SB with all the 600cc bikes.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
yea.. i'm waiting for altec to chime in myself.. but i'm pretty sure he already has a comparison posted in a thread...

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
And here I am...You guys are damn quick posters!

Anyways...yes there are some reliability issues with the 675...but what bike doesn't? the 07-08 6r have the oil leak. The 675 had a steering dampener, engine and leaky hose issues.

Although I hear they've done some stuff to the engine and upgraded the suspension on the new 675, they're pretty much going to be the same bike...

Read the comparo

http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=110057
there's a member here that has both 675 and zx6r (636) probably the best person to ask :D
yea.. i'm waiting for altec to chime in myself.. but i'm pretty sure he already has a comparison posted in a thread...

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
they're sweet bikes for sure, prob the most flickable bike i've ever ridden, the torque is right about where i'd like my 636 to be but thats gonna take some work :( my buddy actually toasted a motor on one of them this year w/ the old valve probs they had, still wouldn't deter me from buying one though ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WOW, thanks for all the feedback. I'm reading up on the comparison. Ill let you guys know when i make my decision :D

Again thanks for all the feedback.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts