Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to go sign the paperwork for my bike today and the sales guy gave me a walk around the bike and explained a few things...

He tells me the break in for this particular bike should be to always keep the rpm's between 4k-6.5k because it's a high performance engine...wtf?

Then he says to always put 91 octane gas, because it's a high performance engine and it needs it...wtf x2?

Please tell me he's wrong...I read the owners manual and I think I'm going to go with that for the break in...and everything else I've read tells me that 87 octane is perfect for this bike...

I used to have a pretty modded 03 Mach 1 Mustang that I knew required 91 octane, there is no way I can compare that engine to this...why would he tell me that? Is he hoping I break something so I can bring it in for service

Or is he right :dunno:

·
Veteran Lowsider
20,840 Posts
search please, this has been very very very well covered within even this month

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
search please, this has been very very very well covered within even this month
I've searched and everything I found was to pretty much follow the manual, which is what I plan on doing. Just wanted to bring this up in case someone else heard something similar and to get confirmation from others that what I planned on doing was correct.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My bike says right on the tank 90 and up

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
87 (pump) octane is right for the States. Running on higher octane won't do any harm, but it costs more for no benefit. 87 (PON) as sold in the States is roughly the same as 91(RON) as sold in Europe.

Break in has been done to death, but as Kawasaki make exactly the same reccomendation in the manual for all of their bikes it has to be suspect. The 250 is a high revving engine and the manual doesn't really allow for that.

My view is to progressively load the motor - 4K - 5K rpm for the first 100 miles then add another 1,000 revs every 100 miles. Go by the manual's break in process and you risk having a motor that doesn't develop full power.

Don't let the revs drop too low in the higher gears and use the gearbox a lot. Avoid riding too far at a constant speed.

Rob

·
Registered
22 Posts
87 (pump) octane is right for the States. Running on higher octane won't do any harm, but it costs more for no benefit. 87 (PON) as sold in the States is roughly the same as 91(RON) as sold in Europe.

Break in has been done to death, but as Kawasaki make exactly the same reccomendation in the manual for all of their bikes it has to be suspect. The 250 is a high revving engine and the manual doesn't really allow for that.

My view is to progressively load the motor - 4K - 5K rpm for the first 100 miles then add another 1,000 revs every 100 miles. Go by the manual's break in process and you risk having a motor that doesn't develop full power.

Don't let the revs drop too low in the higher gears and use the gearbox a lot. Avoid riding too far at a constant speed.

Rob
Exactly what he says. I performed pretty much the same break in as listed above. I also changed the oil more frequently during the first 1000 miles. I changed the oil at 50, 100, 200, 500, & 1000 miles. I did all of these oil changes to help get rid of all the metal shavings during the break in period. Oil is cheap and changing it is very easy. I now have almost 2000 miles on my bike, and it runs great.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Exactly what he says. I performed pretty much the same break in as listed above. I also changed the oil more frequently during the first 1000 miles. I changed the oil at 50, 100, 200, 500, & 1000 miles. I did all of these oil changes to help get rid of all the metal shavings during the break in period. Oil is cheap and changing it is very easy. I now have almost 2000 miles on my bike, and it runs great.
This is what most of the guidance I have found has been saying so it's what I'm going to go with.

Again, I wasn't trying to ask "how" to break it in so I'm sorry if I seemed like a total newb right off the bat that doesn't know how to search. I was trying to say that the dealer was giving me some information that kind of goes against what I've read online on lots of other boards and blogs.

I laughed when he called it a high performance engine. I'm gonna go with 87 unless I hear pinging or other crap. I'll post pics soon, trying to convince the wife to get a friend to model it with her lol :cool:

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
This is what most of the guidance I have found has been saying so it's what I'm going to go with.

Again, I wasn't trying to ask "how" to break it in so I'm sorry if I seemed like a total newb right off the bat that doesn't know how to search. I was trying to say that the dealer was giving me some information that kind of goes against what I've read online on lots of other boards and blogs.

I laughed when he called it a high performance engine. I'm gonna go with 87 unless I hear pinging or other crap. I'll post pics soon, trying to convince the wife to get a friend to model it with her lol :cool:
Yes, do this. Now what was this thread about? :dunno: I got distracted.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Quick question, once you reach 1000 mi what's your oil change schedule? I got one at 1100 when i bought the bike and now i got 1900. I should get one right?

·
Registered
4 Posts
And you did change your filter at those intervals as well?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Drove the bike today for about 10 miles...kept shifting between 1st and 4th as I drove around this huge empty parking lot with lots of different areas for curves...I would speed up on straights and slow down as much as possible on curves...felt really good, I love this bike!

I think on Saturday is when I reach my 50 miles so I can do the first oil change...I remember from my old Mustang days we would run the oil and transmission fluid through a coffee filter so we can see if it's picking up any metal shavings from new engines and it seemed to indicate well enough so I'm going to do that with this bike...

Still working on the pics...she's playing hard to get lol

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Never felt any need to do extra oil changes over what the book calls for. Never had any problems even on bikes I've kept for 100,000 miles.

Once broken in it depends on how you use the bike. Can't remember what the book says - is it every 4K miles for the 250? - but if the bike's used regularly and isn't used for short cold start trips (less than 10 miles) you can double the book spec without any problems, with two caveats.

One is an annual oil change irrespective of mileage; the other is an oil change before any period of non-use such as Winter storage.

Rob

·
Registered
22 Posts
And you did change your filter at those intervals as well?

Yes I did. The oil and oil filters only cost me about $10 total per oil change. This was using Valvoline motorcycle oil (which I got when it was buy 1, get 1 free) and a K&N filter.

Never felt any need to do extra oil changes over what the book calls for. Never had any problems even on bikes I've kept for 100,000 miles.

Once broken in it depends on how you use the bike. Can't remember what the book says - is it every 4K miles for the 250? - but if the bike's used regularly and isn't used for short cold start trips (less than 10 miles) you can double the book spec without any problems, with two caveats.

One is an annual oil change irrespective of mileage; the other is an oil change before any period of non-use such as Winter storage.

Rob
The service manual states that oil changes should be performed around every 7.5K miles (or 1 year). I'm sure that is fine, but I'll be changing mine every 3750 miles. The way I see it, it's easy to do and doesn't cost much at all.

·
Sportbikes rock!
331 Posts
So I went to go sign the paperwork for my bike today and the sales guy gave me a walk around the bike and explained a few things...

He tells me the break in for this particular bike should be to always keep the rpm's between 4k-6.5k because it's a high performance engine...wtf?

Then he says to always put 91 octane gas, because it's a high performance engine and it needs it...wtf x2?

Please tell me he's wrong...I read the owners manual and I think I'm going to go with that for the break in...and everything else I've read tells me that 87 octane is perfect for this bike...

I used to have a pretty modded 03 Mach 1 Mustang that I knew required 91 octane, there is no way I can compare that engine to this...why would he tell me that? Is he hoping I break something so I can bring it in for service

Or is he right :dunno:

Different people will have different experiences and opinions and here is one .... I have friends who "break-in" their new 600/750 motors during their first weekend of racing. That's right folks, they take their brand new motorcycles, race prep them, and then repeatedly bounce them off of the rev limiter right from the start ......... redline the shit out of them from day one. And guess what, none of them ever experienced a motor failure.

I understand that this is extremely different than what the manual states as the correct break in procedure. I am simply offering this as food for thought.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
There's some research around that implies that oil actually offers better protection when it's a couple of thousand miles old and that that better protection lasts for a long time.

There are lots of questions and caveats, but while there's a chance that changing oil too often is at least as bad as not changing it often enough I'll stay with the book.

Rob

·
Registered
881 Posts
Best advice I can give is what I did with my 250 and now with my 675... there is a lot of articles explaining break in happens with in the first 20 miles or so at least 75% of it ... so being very gentle with the engine wont seat the piston rings correctly. I have done a few hard pulls in 2nd, 3rd and 4th and engine brake down... this is of course when the engine is fully warmed up. Don't quote me on that though, this was taking from motodave or something like that.... but in reality ride it normal, dont red line the shit out of it but I would avoid doing a constant speed for a while. Ride backroads so you are always constantly changing speeds and gears.

·
Registered
22 Posts
There's some research around that implies that oil actually offers better protection when it's a couple of thousand miles old and that that better protection lasts for a long time.

There are lots of questions and caveats, but while there's a chance that changing oil too often is at least as bad as not changing it often enough I'll stay with the book.

Rob
My reason for changing my oil so often was to get rid of all the metal shavings so they wouldn't circulate through the engine during the break-in process. I wasn't following the book for the break-in process, because it seemed more reasonable to follow a somewhat modified "motoman" method. IMHO, everybody is going to have their own way of performing this break-in.

When you look at the book, it states the following: Stay under 4K RPM's for the first 500 miles, and then stay under 6K RPM's until you reach 1000 miles. From what I have read, this is the same for the Ninja 250r up to the Ninja ZX-10r. To the extreme, these are two totally different bikes. To me, this is just a way for Kawasaki to cover their a$$.

·
Registered
91 Posts

Rob
This is what I've been doing with mine. Just turned 200 miles yesterday so I'm about due to change out the oil. How many intervals did you do before riding normally?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts