Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bring it back for a replacement for sure, and never deal with them again.
If they give you any crap about replacing it, start yelling how it's unsafe and they are selling unsafe materials. If they are an authorized shop by any of the manufacturers (like a Kawi authorized place) let em know you'll be letting Kawi know that their shop is putting people lives at risk :)
That should change their tune.

If not, post their email addy if they have one, Im sure we can talk to them some :)

-=Welcome To Canada=-

2002 Green 6R
1986 Gixxer 7/11

·
Registered
85 Posts
I agree with CdnNinjaZX6R. Start throwing around big phases like "unsafe sales practices" and "putting peoples lives at risk" and i'm sure their cooperate.

If not, you can always contact the Better Business Bureau as a last resort.;)

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Umm... Slight overkill on the reaction there. You can use the 120/60 tire, if you felt like it. Its not like they sold you a 120/60-15 when you needed a 120/65-17.

The bike will handle a touch differently with the slightly shorter sidewall height, and will feeel like it falls into the turns, but it will turn quicker with the new tire size than with the old. You would just have to get used to the new feel of the front end of the bike.

As for the brake pads, that's a different story. Are you walking into the dealer and telling them "I need a 120/65-17 front tire for my '01 ZX6R", or are you telling them "I need a front tire for my ZX6R"? The two things are entirely different.

Some dealers are in the habit of selling a certain size part when it comes to tires, and whatever they commonly install on the front of other 6R's, they'll just randomly give you that size tire. But if you specifically asked them for a 120/65-17 inch tire for your 6r, then that's a different story.

Oh yeah, if I remember right, the 120/60 tire is used on the 01 european 6r's, so the tire is perfectly fine for the bike.

BC.

I didn't do it, I swear.
And even if I did, what makes you think I would admit it to you?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dealer sold me the wrong tire! The right size tire for a ZX6R 01 is a 120/65 and they sold me a 120/60. Man I’m so mad. This dealer sucks. Two weeks ago they sold me the wrong break pads now the wrong tire. Dam this F...ers at the deal. Is having a smaller tire a bad thing because the tire is meant for the zx6r 98 model. But for real what should I do to the dealer?

BANG

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Yeah, I agree that it's no biggie. Your bike will turn faster with a 60, but be slightly less stable. That bike is so stable that you'll never notoce that though. Not all tires are even available in a 65, so it depends what you asked for...what make/model did you order?

Just so you know, the R6 (a much more extreme geometry than your bike) comes with a 60.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
On top of that, you may have SPECIFIED what make or brand of tire you wanted? Some tires are only available in 60 or 70 series tires... if you're really concerned about it, you can always go back to a tire that is available in a 65 series...

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

·
Registered
13 Posts
thanxs for the info. I talked to the dealer and they told me that the dunlop tire will be fine. But for the breaks pads they give me a %15 didcount on them. Thanx all you guy for the info you sand me.:D

BANG

·
Registered
280 Posts
I just did this on my 01 since my friend had a very good cond 60 from his R6.

I really love the way the bike handles with this tire. It is easier to make that first initial move at corner entry but at higher speeds, the flatter profile will fight you a bit and make steering seem a touch heavier. But this is for really dramatic transitions side to side. In fact, the bike actually feels more stable because of this trait. At slow speeds, it is a point and go issue with this profile. Because of being able to feel more of the road, you will be riding faster and you may not even realize it. I used to dust my buddy on his 7r through the turns but now I can simply obliterate him into a faint little blur in my rearview. :D

The big drawback is there is now a loss of reserve grip on the tire. What I mean is now I have about 1-2 mm of chicken strips left on the rear but on the front, it is like 1mm or so. This seems scary to me but I've yet to experience any front slippage and believe me, the bike has been majorly cranked over to test this tire out. Let us know how you like it..

Green/Black 01ZX6r. LP
flushmount v's, valter moto rearset adjusters, tank guard. Removed decals, 2002 rear fairing, Pyramid hugger

96 SVT Cobra Black/Tan Vert 32V. Not stock!

93 Blue Probe GT 24V Commuter car.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Originally posted by bladecutter

Oh yeah, if I remember right, the 120/60 tire is used on the 01 european 6r's, so the tire is perfectly fine for the bike.
Nope. European models also have 120/65 front tyres. Or atleast here in Finland, 2000 --> 2003 ZX-6R:s have a 65 profile front tyres. I myself would not put a 120/60 tyre on my bike. Even Yamaha admits that they use the 120/60 front tyre on their R6 only because of the looks and many bike magazines have comnplained about the R6:s front tyre.

The SuperSport racers only use 120/70 front tyres. I also have a 120/70 front tyre on my own -00 ZX-6R. I just upped the rear ride height a little when I changed the front tyre profile.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.