Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went to my local shop today to get my bike inspected, and, of course, i need new tires. i had ordered them online and had the reciept and everything, i just wanted the inspection because i hate riding without it.
anyway, the guy who's inspecting my bike was a real asshole about my buying tires online.
him: "why didn't you buy them at a shop?"
me: "cuz i got a good deal on them at this place."
him: "you should support your local shop, we're not going to be around forever."
me: "well, maybe when i can afford it, but that's not really an option right now, im in college [dumbass]."
him: "still should support the shop, where you getting them mounted?"
me: "(some motorcycle shop that mounts tires not bought through them)"
him: "you should have atleast bought the tires there, supported them."

now, is it just me, or does this guy seem like a real asshole? was it him, or was it me? should i have bought tires at a shop and had them mounted? (would have cost around 360+ for the shops around me, and PP tires, i got tires and mounting for 295) im all for supporting people who do a good job, and people who have training to do a job that i can't. but why would i pay someone to replace my oil for $70 an hour plus supplies when i can do it myself? that's a little general, but you get my point. i am able to uy tires at a cheap price online and take the wheels off and bring them all to a shop to get mounted at a reasonable price, why would i spend more money than i have to?

please just tell me if im thinking clearly and this guy was being a jerk, or if i should change my attitude towards bike shops and pony up the dough to feed these ********.

G

·
nothing wrong with saving money. i worry about myself b4 anyone else. if they dont like it, i still get a good nights sleep. [8D]

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
you did nothing wrong, that guy is an asshole. Maybe more people would buy their shit if the didnt rape you on the price. Im like you, i have no prob. supporting local places, but im not a dumbass. IM not gonna spend well over 360 for tires and mounting when i can buy the tires online for approx 200 (front and back) and then bring them to the shop to get them mounted for 50.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Now I run a shop, and anytime I get someone who comes in and tells me they can get stuff cheaper than I sell it, I always say "if it s a good deal then you should probably get it" because in the end we both walk away happy. That person is happy that I was honest and agreed with them about there next purchase and I am happy becuase I dont have to hear that person bitch and complain that I charge to much for products or servives. It is important to support your local shop, but your the customer and consumer and if he really wanted your business he would have made a better attempt to compromise with you about this purchase. If it is a great shop with good people I always give them the business and build a great business relationship because if I ever get in bind for service or parts then only good things come to it! cheaper parts cheaper and quiker service; the answer is D all of the above!!! You did the right thing man and you should have said to that guy " if you werent such A Butt Rash about it then I might have had you mount the tires and or purched them from you" Its always great to save money! Beer isnt geeting cheaper you know!

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
I love my local shop, and buy whatever I can there, but when it will cost me about $400 for tires, plus another $80 to get them mounted, vs $250 for tires and $20 mounting elsewhere, I just can't do it.

Maybe in my single days when I only had to worry about myself, but I can't toss an extra $200 down the drain to support the local guy anymore.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it's good to hear some of you guys agree with me. i've worked at a bunch of places before where i have to deal with people, and if i don't treat them right, i wont get their business again. this guy obviously doesn't understand that he provides a service, and to continue getting customers, he has to please them. now, don't get me wrong, after waiting on people (restaurant server) for a year, i hate the customer. not all, but there are some you just want to punch in the face. but, i put on my smile and do as they wish, because you know what? they are the ones that pay me. i suck it up, and make good money. im just suprised that after treating me like this, he's still getting repeat customers.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I support two local shops here and both work with me pretty well on prices. However, niether of them can come close to on line tire prices. They both tell me I'm buying them cheaper than they are. I don't get that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
when a shop buys there products wholesale, a lot of the time there cost is dependent on quantity. so when your shop is only buying five of one kind of tire a month and the place online is buying 250 a month and selling 250 of them that how they can sell them cheaper than your local mom and pop shop! not to mention that your local shop probably buys his tires at almost full retail value and then puts his standard mark up on them. its not a ripp off its just business.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Originally posted by burtonsbs5114
you did nothing wrong, that guy is an asshole. Maybe more people would buy their shit if the didnt rape you on the price. Im like you, i have no prob. supporting local places, but im not a dumbass. IM not gonna spend well over 360 for tires and mounting when i can buy the tires online for approx 200 (front and back) and then bring them to the shop to get them mounted for 50.
No joke. I'll bet the owner of that shop probably washes his own car or changes his own oil on occasion. Ask why he doesn't support his local Jiffy lube or local car wash. What a moron. I'm all fo supporting local business, but I'm not going to go broke to do it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.