Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally found someone to co-sign the loan today. My grandfather. I've never ridden a motorcycle before but I've definately read quite a bit about it. My decision to buy a bike was engraved in stone when I read about the cost of the bike itself and the insurance payments. I'm only 19 years old, a novice cook (5 months experience), and can't afford car AND insurance payments (insurance for me is extremely high since I haven't had my car license for 6 months yet) each month. The money for the bike is coming out of my own pocket, which includes the down payment. Going to put about 2,000$ down so the monthly payments will be around 130-150$ a month for four years. I'm the type of person that likes to save up money and buy something that is high quality and keep it for a long long time. Who likes buying something then having to replace it months or years later because its a piece of junk and falling apart?

Going for an '03 or '04. MSRP for the 04 is 7,999, 03 is 7,500. How much am I looking to actually pay? What did you pay for your 03 or 04? What do you think I could talk the dealer down to? My grandfather has excellent credit, probably the best. He could walk in anywhere and charge the bike to his CC. Hes not rich, far from it, he just knows how to manage money. Any advice for a beginner would be great. I have read this website front to back like a nun reads the bible so I think the only other questions I would have would be about specific types of safety equipment. ANY advice on any aspect of motorcycles would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Probably not what you want to hear but . . . buying a 600 cc sportbike for a first bike is a bad idea. The insurance rates should tell you something.

You ought to take the $2,000 you have and buy yourself something like a Ninja 250 and ride it for a year before you buy that new bike for a couple of reasons. First is that most people who start out riding have a couple of little crashes. On a new sportbike these are very expensive. Second, liability on the Ninja 250 probably will be about as much per year as you would pay per month on a new bike. One more reason as a bonus. If you start out on a smaller bike you will end up a better rider.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
What he said:D

It's not only the note and insurance that can get you, but as SW said, the repair bills as well. Take into consideration the gear also. I'm in for over $1000 and still not finished! Then there are the mods...but we won't get into that[:p]. The spending never ends...

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Have you been riding any type of motorcycles over the past few years? I got a 600cc sportbike for my first bike, and I was fine. However, I had been on dirtbikes and quads and minibikes and all of that fun stuff since I was about 10.

As for gear, besides a helmet, I have a leather jacket and gloves. You can get all nuts with that stuff, but the type of riding I do doesn't warrant a full leather suit. I think the best advice is to just ride the mo fo wheels off that bike when you first get it, and if you drop it or go forbid you should crash, get up and get back on the bike again. Also, don't expect any amazing things to happen after you get a little time in the saddle. You really have to know your bike first. It took me 10K miles to get to know my bike, and I'm still learning.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I started on a 600, and I’m still here to tell about it. I got mine used, so when it went down on a parking lot I did not feel as bad. Bodywork is crazy expansive, and I know very few people that have never dropped their bike.

Also gear... I'm in more than a $1000, helmet, leather, boots, gloves, it adds up.
You will need helmet, gloves, and should get a jacket when you buy the bike. So add $500-1000 right there, depending on what you get.

OTD price should be around MSRP, depends on your state tax etc. Feel free to walk out if you don’t like the price. Also get them to give you a break on gear.

IMHO go get a used bike, get some good gear and ride that for a while. You can get a really great deal now on a used 600. Problem here is you will have to pay cash, so if you don’t have $4-5k this may not work out. I think you can go to the bank and get a vehicle loan on your own (with grandfather cosigning) not sure what APR that would have.

Best of luck to you. More 600s on the street = good

·
Registered
832 Posts
Unless you just get liability you cannot afford the insurance on a ZX-6R at the age of 19. The year doesn't matter I just bought a 2000 this spring and the rates for an 03 were within a few bucks, I was able to find this bike with only 900 miles on it and about half of the price that your looking to spend so I jumped on it. A friend of mine has a Ninja 250 he has liability only and he paid around 150 bucks for the year through Progressive. I wouldn't be caught with just liability I had some quotes for my bike at 1500 -4000 a year for full coverage, they will get you so look for something low key such as a 250 or a Katana 600. Its not what anyone wants to hear but insurance is costly espcially with all of plastic on the bike.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Whatever dealership you buy it from, make sure they give you a deal on helmet, jacket, and gloves. A lot of times they offer that up front, but be sure to mention it if they don't. I would have to agree with the rest of the bunch in buying a brand new 600cc bike for your first bike. A 600cc isn't necessarily a bad idea for a first bike, but a used one is definitely something to highly consider. You know how pissed off you'll be when you drop your bike at a light or lay it down in a turn and see your beautiful new bike's fairings scratched all to Hades? And take an MSF course...it may lower your insurance, but it will definitely make you a better rider. Good luck!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Buy a used bike for your first bike and only get liability insurance. You will save yourself thousands using this approach. My first bike in 1985 was bought used for $1200, they wanted $1900 per year for full coverage insurance. I only bought liability for $125 (or so) a year. I waited to turn 25 before having collision on anything.

A used bike will also give you a chance to learn about maintenance and repairs. Learning how to work on a bike will save you lots of money down the road.

You will drop your first bike once or twice. Why drop and damage an expensive new bike? Some things that happen (hopefully only one of these will get you): putting your foot in a puddle of oil (or sand) at the gas station, stopping on uneven pavement and not being able to catch the bike, leaving your bike in neutral while its on the side stand pointed downhill, or a slow speed crash trying to U turn in a tight spot.

After you have ridden for a while you will learn to spot the hazards and avoid them. After you are comfortable, step up and buy a new bike.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I agree and disagree with the buying a smaller first bike.

I bought a Ninja 250 for a first street bike and rode it for two years. I was bored with it in about three months, but I had the willpower to save some money and really learn how to ride on the street before I got something bigger.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with buying a 600 for a first bike. I would definetely look for an older one first though, the older katanas are very nice starter bikes. The biggest difference in the older bikes and the new ones is the snappyness of the throttle from what I have experienced. On my 03 I have definetely scared myself a couple times when shifting, the bike feels like it could jump right out of your grip. I've ridden a friend's Katana and it was very tame. The margin of error on a new 600 is just smaller than the older ones.

The thing to remember is the best way to control your bike is your right hand, and your common sense. You control the throttle, nothing else. A Ninja 250 will still go 110 MPH (it just takes a while to get there!) You get the same results when you put down a Ninja 250 at 60 mph as you do with a 03 6R. Just whatever you do, don't skimp on the gear.

·
Registered
558 Posts
i bought a 6hun for my first bike and im fine actully i want sumthing bigger. it all depends on what kinda person you are. with that said theres no way i hell you should pay 7500 for an 03 one 04s are out two its almost winter(nevermind you live in tx)but i only paid 5999 +++ for mine four months ago. so tell em you want invoice on the 03.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The stuff mjahelka said is exactly what a new rider needs to know, the tiny details that you only know from riding experience. I'm definately taking the MSF course, without a doubt. Its required to get my motorcycle license and even if it wasn't I would be stupid not to.

As far as laying the bike down, what about slider kits? Don't they protect the bike from most mistakes beginners make?

·
Registered
364 Posts
ya i bought my 03' RR for 6,600 drive out about 4months ago. dont let em get to ya if you decide to buy a new bike, they can come way down off that price. just be carefull whaterver you decide to buy. cars dont look out for ya, you gotta look out for yourself, and them.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Frame sliders are a must, but they wont completely save your bike from damage. Granted, with them you will save considerable damage, but you would need a bubble around your bike to completely protect it. It's your money, but if it were me I would buy a used 600 and trade it in on a new one a little down the road when you've become more comfortable riding. Either way, you're in for a shitload of fun and are making a life-changing purchase. Congratulations!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Everyones replies are greatly appreciated. I'm going to start looking into used 6Rs even though I don't want to its probably the smartest way in the long run.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Don't blow off the Ninja 250 unless you have looked at one. They are a great little bike. One of the things no one has mentioned is that sportbikes are expensive to maintain. A rear tire will go about $250 dollars or so mounted at a dealer. They only last 3-5,000 miles. The dealer will charge you about $100 to change the oil and maybe $3-400 to adjust the valves. All these things you can do yourself on the Ninja 250.

You can probably find a '98-'99 ZX-6R for less than $4,000 with less than 10,000 miles on it. Go for the bike that is stock or near stock as they are less likely to have been abused.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Look man, if you want a new bike get a new bike. There is not a damn thing wrong with starting on a 600. Some people just don't pick up on riding techniques as fast as others. It is all in your wrist. If you don't feel comfortable don't go so fast. A 250 will run 100mph just like a 600 will. Either one of them can hurt you. Just b/c some of the guys on the board had to start out on smaller bikes or decided to start out on them doesn't mean that you have to. Don't be a puss man. They are probably just worried that you will be able to outride them. Or they just want to outrun you on that little 250. Oh yeah, and see can't you find another dealership with a reasonable price. There should be more than $500 difference on an 03 and an 04. I would be looking at paying more like $6600-$7000 for that 03.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Originally posted by melloyello

Look man, if you want a new bike get a new bike. There is not a damn thing wrong with starting on a 600. Some people just don't pick up on riding techniques as fast as others. It is all in your wrist. If you don't feel comfortable don't go so fast. A 250 will run 100mph just like a 600 will. Either one of them can hurt you. Just b/c some of the guys on the board had to start out on smaller bikes or decided to start out on them doesn't mean that you have to. Don't be a puss man. They are probably just worried that you will be able to outride them. Or they just want to outrun you on that little 250. Oh yeah, and see can't you find another dealership with a reasonable price. There should be more than $500 difference on an 03 and an 04. I would be looking at paying more like $6600-$7000 for that 03.
That was an idiotic post there melloyello.
While I don't feel a 600 is to big of a bike to start on (I started on a gsxr1100) calling someone a puss for starting on something smaller is just plain dumb. If it were the case, I'd have you call you a puss for starting on a 600 rather then the 1100 I started on..

Anyway, you're entitled to an opinion but don't knock others

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Well, I started with an all stock 01' ZX6R this year having 8500 km's on it. The bike did not have any scratches or whatsoever on it when I bought it, and still there are none. I've put about 4000 km's on it, and didn't had any crashs, drop or whatsoever.:D

Looking for a good second hand saves you money, and come on, there is not sooo much difference anyway, and it takes some time to get to the level where you can say the difference. Look for a good 02' ZX6R. They have 636cc on 'em.;)

I had a good training prior making my licence though. So any training or course should be welcome.[^]

Of course you should be really carefull where you put your feet on tank stations and also keep your both feet down on redlight stops. Remember CAREFULL!![:M40]

But the advices on costs are quite realistic. I have paid about 1000 Euro for gear and 300 Euro for a dealer service since. I am still missing a good pair of boots. Insurance is also another cost you should look at. So check these before jumping on one. Get a good deal on a good helmet, but if your dealer only sells expensive gear, find a more realistically priced one, for your first, and quite easy riding season.[:M88]

Welcome!![:M11]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.