Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always bought my motorcycle tires for the past 25 years via online companies or catalog companies(back in the day)to save money. I would take the wheels off my bike and take them to the local dealership to have them mounted and balanced. I have been using the Kawasaki dealer since 1998, since I have bought a few of my Kawasaki motorcycles from him. I had some tires mounted and balanced last September.

Well, today I go in and the mechanic states that he should get them done in a couple of hours. I unload my truck and take the wheels and tires into the shop. I then walk into the store portion and say my usual 'Hi' to the owner. He asks what brought me in today and I told him I was getting some tires mounted and balanced. He then asks if I bought the tires from him and I say no. He tells me that he can't mount the tires. I tell him that you have always done them in the past and he states that he can't do it anymore and asks me to remove the wheels and tires from the shop. Funny how the mechanic doesn't know this new policy. No sign mentions it either. The owner won't even give me an explanation. I would have expected an explanation and a more pleasant discussion, since I have given him thousands of dollars in business over the years. (By the way, I got a set of new Dunlop Qualifiers for $189, if I bought them from him I would have to pay $355)

I leave the Kawasaki place pissed :(and go to the Honda shop. I used to take tires into him back in the late 80's and early 90's. The first thing the shop manager asks is if I bought the tires from them. Well, he at least explains the supposed reason for not being able to do them. (Gay Insurance companies and lawyers)

I then go to the Yamaha dealership. He takes the tires and wheels from me and mounts them without any questions. I guess Yamaha saved the day for me. :D $40 total for both tires mounted and balanced.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I cant believe Phil or Dean wouldnt make you a deal with that, they are normally really good with their customers. Even though I have only bought one bike from them and a couple jetskis they have been really good to me. When ever I go in there and talk to them they always greet me with a smile and friendly hello. That just doesnt sound like them. You might want to check that new motorcycle shop, dont remember their name though.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I have always gotten along with Phil and Dean. They have always been very helpful and Phil has given me quite a few discounts in the past. I have known the both of them since the 80's. Phil was probably having a bad day. It sounds like both Phil and the Honda shop use the same insurance provider, since this cropped up for the first time at both places.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sounds like GREED to me. If they are going to be assholes and not service their customers, at least they should verify that no one else is going to do that job. What a stupid and narrow business mind. You present them with an oportunity to sell a service and they reject it!!!:(

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I wouldnt go that far, Cheyenne in the Business aspect is a very small place. Most insurance companies will screw them over if they find something wrong, and then it would be hard for them to find something else to go with. Most of the time they are really easy going and great with service.

I doubt that shop would do something stupid like that to loose service considering its the Oldest private owned kawi shop in the states. With their rep and service I dont see them doing something like that...

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I was told it's some liability reasons. I asked my dealer if he would put my tires on bike, he said only if I buy the tires from them. I was like wtf, so I found another local shop which mounted and balanced my both tires for $40 ( which is cheap here ) AND the owner said he will beat or at least match a price on any set of moto tires I find online. Guess where I'm going for my next set :D Screw you [email protected] stealerships[}:)]

·
Registered
389 Posts
The insurance thing is a total load of bull. It's just one of those things where dealers are using tires as a way to make up for slow sales. That's a pretty common practise locally where you'll pay 25% to 75% higher prices for the tires than on line PLUS the mounting and balancing fee. It's gotten better locally than when I started riding. During the boom-boom days of the last decade I was quoted a total bill of $300 for one tire, including the change.

Folks, do your own tires. It's not that hard once you get the knack. $100 of tools will do the job and then you can afford a couple sets a year, which is nice for track days.

·
Registered
201 Posts
[:eek:)]What if you were going to get your bike serviced? I guess that means if you did not buy the bike from them, they would not work on it.[:p]

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Balancing is pretty easy, I had a guy mount my tires for me this year. He just had a little setup using 2 axle stands, and the tire hung between them by it's axle. Spin the tire, see where it stops, mark the bottom most point. Repeat a few times. Once you see a pattern developing, put a weight there and repeat.

Keep doing this until it stops at random spots.

The local kawi dealer here (NRC, from NRC engine covers fame) will mount tires you bought elsewhere. It's better to make $80 mounting then $0 being pissed you bought them elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Glad you found a place to get the tires done. I bought a new set of M3's a couple months ago online and took them to my local shop to get put on. We have a large dealership here, and a small shop that sells some used sport bikes and tons of performance parts. I don't go to the big dealer for shit, I use the small place where I know all the guys and they do any work I need done. I change my oil and do all maintenance, but for tires, sprockets, and other "major" work I take it to them.

·
Registered
748 Posts
i worked in a atuomotive tire shop before. and even some (well most now) won't mount tires you bring in. and believe it or not, there are jacka$$es that have taken companies to court when something goes wrong with the tires. so, think about this if you own that business... owner makes a certain percentage off the sales of tires (mounting/balance/labor is already figured in to the co$t). now joe frugal wants to save a buck and buys the tires off the internet site (which provides no means for warranty), and takes them to a tire shop to pay only the labor changing the tires. well, anything goes wrong down the road, you're going to run back to him and expect him to deal with any warranty issues. and if it was an accident and your lawyer takes him to court?? yes they proabbly have insurance, but their insurance works like ours...the more claims you have, the higher your rates go. and you've already cut into his profit.

hey, if a tire shop will mount "carry-in" tires at a reasonable rate, then kewl. but i can't blame and curse a shop because they refuse to mount equipment i bought elsewhere.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Originally posted by Seven-R
[:eek:)]What if you were going to get your bike serviced? I guess that means if you did not buy the bike from them, they would not work on it.[:p]
ever try to "carry-in" your own parts for the shop to install?? i don't know of any that will. hell, even here in the aviation industry, fewer repair stations will install customer provided parts. the liability just doesn't make it worth the risk.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.