Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's been a while in the planning, but it is all coming together. 2 weeks and I hit the dragon... July6-10 in gatlinburg. probably hitting the dragon thursday afternoon and or friday

·
Registered
532 Posts
just came back from there. remember when you hit the NC state line COOL IT. the road on the NC if efffhhed up. also make sure you stop by wheelers if you want to do a dyno run. have fun ride safe at your own pace.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Just got back yesterday from 3 days on the dragon. It was awesome, but all I can say is fucking goldwings... I had no idea the honda hoot was going on untill we got there. But around 5pm all of the crusiers clear out and the cops leave with them. Only saw two cops on the dragon in three days, Had a knee down in a turn going past a cop and he didn't seem to mind, than passed the same cop going 40 and didn't even look at me (he was patroling, not sitting taking radar). After talking to the locals, the cops don't mind too much as long as you stay in your lane, do not pass people, and are not stunting or going way too fast, 50+. Waiting to see the killboy pictures, should be some good ones.

My friend and I would hold 40mph throughout the dragon, there is no need to speed up out of turns, just hold your speed if you like to lean it over, and STAY IN YOUR LANE!!!!! Don't even get close to the yellow in a left hander, saw too many close calls from people in the wrong lane, again... fucking goldwings!!!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I just returned as well, take it real easy the first time you are on the dragon. I went a bit over the yellow line my first time, it is very technical. You quickly get used to it with each pass.

·
Registered
532 Posts
dont pass! BAD IDEA! as the signs say "lane crossing kills" maybe not you but maybe the car swerveing in the other lane.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Trashmonkey......thats one badass bike,love those ZZRs!

Yeah DG is pretty neat.Few points to work on and notice:1st is road engineering.Always pre-run any twisty that you intend to trash,thats a gimme.But pay particular attenetion to how they solved the transition areas between corners.Think about it......banked Rty leads to banked Lfty(and repeat this cpl hundred times),how do we as engineers treat the transitions?At DG its a fold or crease,check it out.Work those folds into your turn plan,its one of the key points to an enjoyable ride.Along that same thinking.....work on your body positioning whilst transitioning,IOWs you need proper form whilst bike flipflops side-side.The more seamless you can get this skill the better.Keep your entry speeds kinda low and really get your timing down on exit or drive part of turn.Not so much for overall speed but it really reinforces importance of throttle control as well as need for proper fueling on bike.I'd also suggest that your first 1/2 dz "runs" be treated as a no-brakes drill.DG is not that technical.A technical rd or track is one that theres no real rhyme nor reason WRT turn radius.IOWs sweeper-tighty-off cmbr-sweeper-decreasing radius,ect.Most of the turns at the gap are the same.Therefore it makes more sense to view it as an area to work on bike setup and rider form.One last thing.....don't pass......uhhhh,you pull off turn around,go the other way for awhile.best of luck BWS

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm on my way down there next Thursday!! (7/6) Riding the Blue Ridge Pkwy all the way getting there either on Friday or Saturday. Maybe I'll see ya'll there!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Originally posted by thepakrat
I'm on my way down there next Thursday!! (7/6) Riding the Blue Ridge Pkwy all the way getting there either on Friday or Saturday. Maybe I'll see ya'll there!
I did just about all of the blue ridge parkway starting from skyline drive. It is very beautiful and has lots of great scenery. Speed limit is 45mph so its not the most economical way to get there, but it has hundreds of great curves and probably a couple of hundred over looks as well. You'll love it, as long as you aren't in a hurry to get anywhere.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PAKRAT.... I am supposed to head over on 7-6 I dont know if I will get the bike off the trailer and ride it thursday or if I will go Friday Am... I don't really want to be there after 4 Friday evening because of traffic.. Anyway I will be in my silver supersuit on the maroon and black zxe... 1 week to to go, I can't wait. My plan is to comeback with a dragon sticker and keep my parts out of the tree of shame

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well headed out in the morning hopefully I can get some pics up in a while

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey maybe we can get a group from on here together for a new trip soon. My other half and I are always heading out there. I feel ya about the honda hoot thing... we didnt knw it was going on either. And a bunch more cagers yesterday than usual when we go up on weekends. We went for the day on Saturday and then back yesterday. Our azzes hurrrrrt lmao but we had lots of fun. I also am waiting for the killboy pics. They did take more yesterday but we held our hands in the air for them [:I] because we were coming down a turn on the tail of the dragon and stuck in between a car and a slow truck... EH... go figure they'd be on that one slow turn dangit lmao.

Ninja Mike do post pics when you get back it would be cool to see other's day's out there. [^]

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just loaded the bike on the trailer about an hour ago, I am supposed to pull out around 8 am. Should arrive in Newport around 2 pm then going to hit the dragon either thursday pm or early friday. Unfortunately this is not a dedicated Dragon trip but rather a detour from a family reunion on my wife's side.. Anyway if anyone is there look for me in the silver super suit,, I won't be hard to see, Ill be the one doing about 20 mph through the dragon:D My goal is to just get through, get my sticker and go back to the reunion with all my bike and body in one piece[^]

No dragon taming going on during this trip, just a little site seeing[8D]

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Sticker? Eh?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Dragon logo.. go to dealsgap.com the dragon on there looks great as a sticker on the bike or helmet

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Just got word from my g/f - she told me to take off the week of my birthday next month - we're loading the bikes AND the quads into the toy hauler & headed up there for the Dragon AND Tellico.

YEEEHAW!!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
^ that's awesome stuff right there... You guys will have loads of fun..

Oh and I have too many damn stickers already but it is a cool way to decor the helmet and bikes haha

I loved the Dragon for the 4th... there was a bit of honda hoot stuff going on but we had lots of open road to chill on easily.. yay!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
WEll Update on the Dragon!!!

I made it and didn't slow anyone up, oh and shhhhh don't tell anyone but I did have to pass a couple of cagers.. it was that or get out and push them they were going so slow.

This is definitely worth the trip, a very good place to hone your skills.. oh yeah.. I have NO MORE CHICKEN STRIPS at all on the back and very minimal left on the front. I could have put the knee down on a few turns but don't have pucks so I didn't.

Anyway here are the pics sorry about the quality, I had to use the cell phone for the pics. but u still get the idea

I may be heading back in september to try it again

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.