Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a little help, guys. Honestly can't decide on the exhaust mod for my ZX-6R 2000 model. The only thing I know for sure is that I want an oval Titanium end-can. Race or street-legal, it doesn't matter, the regulations for bikes aren't that sophisticated in the Philippines.

First question is, which manufacturer? Among Akrapovic, Yoshimura, Devil, Remus and Blueflame, how would you rate them in terms of HP gain, build and sound quality (the deeper the tone at idling, the better.

Shotgun configuration versus conventional single exit?

High-mount system vs standard mount? Is there a reason why all the other supersport 600s get a high-mount system and the Kawasaki usually doesn't? Does the high-mount offer less HP gains than the standard mount?

Would really appreciate help sorting these questions out. If there are too many questions, answers to the exhaust can rating would be the most helpful. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
You should have a look at each of them in person and judge build quality for yourself. I never looked at Blue Flame since they're not so readily available here, but I did look at all the others and then some. Yosh is very deep sounding at idle, maybe the deepest of the ones you mentioned. For build quality, you will not beat Akrapovic that much I'll guarantee you. They're all pretty nice, personally I'd go Yosh or Akrapovic for top quality, especially Akrapovic. As for high exit pipes, you'll have to look at each company, Akrapovic and Yosh don't offer high mounts, neither do Remus or Devil to my knowledge.

www.akrapovic-exhaust.com
www.yoshimura-rd.com
www.remus.at
www.devil.fr
www.blueflameperformance.com

You said "all the others" use high mount? Not sure where you're getting this from. In AMA supersport, none of the big teams are running high-mount except Honda with the under-seat system of course. But the general rule of thumb is the more bends and twists you put into an exhaust, at some point it's going to start robbing horsepower. Here's a bunch of pics of AMA and WSS bikes, don't see any high-mount pipes...

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Knew I could count on you, dj, for a full response.

I have the disadvantage of not being able to see the pipes for myself, because we don't have dealers for these products here. I only have websites to go on, and sterling endorsements from riders like you.

On the high-exit mount thing, I was only referring to street, not race bikes. You're right, they're not used on race bikes. It probably is more for the poser points more than anything else ... which I would also like to accumulate :)

As I went thru the websites, I noticed that there would be high-mount systems for R6's and F4i's, but nothing for our beloved ZX-6R. Saw a dyno graph on the Devil website for an F4i showing an 8 hp increase (96 to 104) for an SB2 slip-on, with Power Commander. That's pretty high for just a slip-on.

I did find a site with a high-exit system for the Yosh RS-3:

http://www.indysuperbikes.com/Isb1/Indysuperbikes Frame.htm

I am leaning towards the Yosh or Akro, but am giving the Devil SB2 a close look because of the reported sound it gives off. The Blueflame and Remus are in their for their dual exit products, which look really good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a rule of thumb as far as parts and gear are concerned. If it's good enough for pro racers to use, then I'd say that's the most solid endorsement possible. All those pictures have Akro pipes on them. I had an Akro on my '00 and I loved it. Admitedly I don't do a lot of city riding, mostly track days and weekends, but The Akro has always had that real "I'm at the racetrack" sound. (plus I have Slavic blood in me, that makes me bias) I have one on order now for the RR, but this time I went for the Evo, not the race. Should come in at the end of the month. I'll re-post with the difference [8D]

Rick the EBoz wannabe

·
Registered
349 Posts
All the advice so far is good.

Just one addendum: The reason why there are many F4i high-mount systems and few for the ZX6R is because teh F4i has really poor clearance for its pegs/OEM pipe. They drag really easy, limiting lean angle. The 6R's clearance is MUCH better so the need for high mounts is less.

Seriously, ride a stock F4i. The groound pegs and OEM pipe don't allow for the same lean angle as a stock 6R. It's almost a rite of passage for the F4i owner to (fix his CCT! Heh, jk) grind his pegs and scrape his OEM pipe.

'00 ZX6R silver

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
That's true. Also, another reason why it's so easy to find high-mount pipes for the ZX9R and R6 versus the '02 ZX6R is because they are a slip on system vs. a bolt-on, which means they can alter the mounting angles and so on because you're replacing more than just the can, you're replacing a significant portion of pipe too. With full systems where they COULD produce a high-mount for the ZX6R, they're more concerned with maximizing the power, so adding bends usually doesn't come into the equation when designing them.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for explaining that, cambridge/ dj -- now I don't feel as bad that they're just shutting us out.

After these replies, I'm accepting that an end-can alone would be a good first step. I can always get the headers later.

So, if Akrapovic wasn't such an obvious choice, what would be the next best thing?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
If I didn't go Akrapovic, I'd likely look seriously at that Yosh tri-oval or the Laser Hotcam... both are very kewl...

I'm big on build quality now, so those or possibly Moriwaki... but any aftermarket exhaust is going to be a step up from stock.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmmm, second time someone's mentioned the Laser Hotcam to me. Might be worth a second look ...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.