Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night on my way home from work at about 1215 pm I was riding my 2007 ninja 650r going about 65 down a back road no other cars around and out of no where a deer jumped across the street. I had to of missed him by 2 feet or less, almost could of hit his tail. I had no time to react and was actually a little shook up after it.

Has anyone actually hit a deer while on a bike or came this close? Chances of people actually surviving these types of incidents?

·
Registered
85 Posts
My buddy came close about 3 weeks ago. It was about 4 or 5 in the afternoon and we were on our way from washing our bikes. I was about 5 mins from home and we were cruising about the same speed as you, 60-65mph. We come around a blind corner and there's a deer grazing right on the edge of the road. The deer looked up did a quick step as if he was going to bolt into the road then shot back in the opposite direction. I was far enough behind my friend to see the whole thing unfold. It was split second and if the deer didn't head back into the woods my boy would've crushed this deer in the ribs.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Most people survive due to a deer being flesh and bones, unlike a car. I had a friend that hit one and it messed up his back pretty good...but he hit a huge deer right down the center of the deer.

There's a video on youtube of a bunch of bikers and a deer literally jumps over one guy on his bike...crazy stuff. There's another of a guy who hits a deer and keeps the bike upright, just had some major damage.
-Cody

·
Registered
85 Posts
Same guy I was riding with knows someone who split a deer in half, literally, shattered both his wrists from the impact against the bars and didn't lay the bike down at all. The bike was fawked, but he survived!

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
A good friend of the family who’s is almost a step dad to me hit a deer on his bike. He was on a 4 corners ride and was out in the middle of no where (in Idaho or Montana I think). He was by himself. Sometime later they figure 45 minutes or so a car stopped to check on the bike lying on the side of the road and found him in the bushes.

Long story short he survived. Spent a week in the ICU for broken ribs, punctured lung, clavicle and many scrapes and bruises. He doesn’t remember much but it was a highway so speeds were 65+. It was getting dark. He didn’t even see it, just woke up in the hospital the next day.

The deer died. He is also a hunter so he took satisfaction in this.:Laughing rolling: The bike was resurrected with new bars and controls pegs and what not. The tank carries the scars to this day. He later sold the bike to a buddy. He still rides but never after dark.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
I killed one on a motorcycle, watched my buddy Paul kill another, and have another friend that has killed 3 on motorcycles. Fucking things. :headshake:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Glad it was only a near-hit, OP. If you hit that bastard going 65, it would have been pretty messy.

My friend just had a similar experience yesterday as well on his SV650. He managed to swerve out of the way but ended up getting the wobbles and laid it down in the ditch. Better than hitting the deer I suppose.

Every time people ooh and ahh at deer now, I can't help but think just how much of a menace they are, haha.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
If you actually hit the deer it's considered an act of god on your insurance.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I have had a few close calls with deer but a friend of mine hit one with his cruiser at about 50 carried it on the forks for 15 yards before it locked up the front wheel and put him on his side and into a ditch. The deer shit on impact and he got poison oak wherever the shit hit him lol, He was fine other than that and some road rash. The deer wasn't so lucky

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
45,123 Posts
So last night on my way home from work at about 1215 pm I was riding my 2007 ninja 650r going about 65 down a back road no other cars around and out of no where a deer jumped across the street. I had to of missed him by 2 feet or less, almost could of hit his tail. I had no time to react and was actually a little shook up after it.

Has anyone actually hit a deer while on a bike or came this close? Chances of people actually surviving these types of incidents?
Last Night?? Do you mean 12:15 a.m.?? Deer lay low during the day and move at night.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
The come out during the day too. In fact, it was daylight when I hit mine.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
actually, if you hit a deer that was standing in the road (I know that's not what he mentioned here), some insurance companies will claim it was an avoidable accident and list it under 'collision' instead of 'comprehensive'.

Moral of the story...the deer RAN in front of you :D
-Cody

·
Registered
737 Posts
Have barely missed a deer at 75 mph, and a mountain lion chasing deer at 55 mph.
I don't ride in the hills early in the morning or at dusk and dark.
Had a gentleman spend a considerable amount of time in ICU about a month
ago,was in town about 2 streets away from my house, mid afternoon, and a car coming in
the opposite direction hit a deer and threw it into the oncoming motorcyclist knocking
him off the bike at about 40 mph.

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
Have barely missed a deer at 75 mph, and a mountain lion chasing deer at 55 mph.
I don't ride in the hills early in the morning or at dusk and dark.
Had a gentleman spend a considerable amount of time in ICU about a month
ago,was in town about 2 streets away from my house, mid afternoon, and a car coming in
the opposite direction hit a deer and threw it into the oncoming motorcyclist knocking
him off the bike at about 40 mph.
holyshit. lol bet that was interesting.

i split two full sized doe at 65mph one night. a week or so before i put the HIDs on my bike.
i lived in bumfuck. was coming down a road i knew VERY well. knew exactly where the deer usually partied. .. well, they were a few hundred feet up this time and i crested a hill and on the other side was bambi 1 and 2 with probably 3' in between them. i went right the fuck thru there like a boss. didn't even see them til i was 20 feet away. shitty 7R lights.

i was so close i coulda slapped one in the ass and one in the face. LITERALLY. had i been tucked and had my elbows out i would have clipped both. i shat myself and dropped 35mph instantly for the rest of my normally 5 minute ride home. that ride lasted about 15 then. took a total of an hour. usually it was 40 minutes.

that was definitely the worst and scariest. i have hit small woodland creatures with success. possums, rabbits and such. they make horrid noises and a mess. and if you've got a large breasted female passenger on board it gives you a good excuse to hit the brakes hard and get D cups pressed into you.. but them coming off the seat as you cross over what was a live animal is a bit unsettling.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Comprehensive (or full) coverage would still cover it, would it not?

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Comprehensive (or full) coverage would still cover it, would it not?
Comprehensive covers it, yes. In fact, it's not considered your fault so they can not hold it against you either. Insurance wise, you are better off hitting the deer than swerving to avoid it and crashing.

·
Registered
272 Posts
About 2 weeks ago I hit one on my ZZR, I got down to about 25-30 mph before impact-its head straight into the headlights, it slid up over the windshield (I ducked down as far as I could but smacked my faceshield on the brake fluid resevoir so I still felt it hit me in the head) It slid up over my helmet down my back and hit the back seat (I sat up regrabbed a handful of brakes and came to a stop) by the time I turned around it was gone , into the woods I presume. This one was at about 6 pm

Damage to the bike, 1 headlight out, all the tabs on the headlights cracked or broken from the fairing, 4 of the 9 instrument cluster bulbs burnt out too, teeth or hoof marks in the upper, the right mirror and the right rear passenger grab handle ( I did find out that Chelly brand of red # 45 in a single coat is nearly a perfect match-but in multiple layers gets way too dark, it doesn't help I was filling in over the black abs in a deep scratch) Now both mirrors vibrate so bad when I ride it is nearly impossible to see anything without reaching up and holding them.

Yesterday on one of our customary 500 mile sunday rides, I hit a deer on My 09 ZX6R, doing about 70, the first one ran across right in front of me and I barely had enough time to get to the brake lever before the second one ran right into the left front fork tube, it smashed the reflector and the fender. Its momentum coupled with my speed had it smash the radiator, the left mid and lower and actually take the left footpeg bracket right off the bike. After getting stopped and looking back I saw the deer limping into the woods with the footpeg bracket sticking out of its rib cage. Oh this one was at about 3pm in the afternoon

Neither time did I crash or go off the road

Pictures forthcoming soon

1 - 20 of 35 Posts