Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Can anyone tell me what the difference between the 03/04 636 shock and the 05/06 636 shock...if there is any..? Does anyone know how long each shock is or if they are the same length ..?

thanx

KIRK
I don't have an answer for you but you could go on Kawasaki.com and check the part numbers.

:dunno:

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
the 05-06 is a better built shock and if I am not mistaken there is no differences in mounting them. i believe the 03-04 guys put the 05-06 shock on there older bikes as its an upgrade as well as the swingarm. hope that helps. also still have that piece you need for the shock for that 10 you have

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
the 05-06 is a better built shock and if I am not mistaken there is no differences in mounting them. i believe the 03-04 guys put the 05-06 shock on there older bikes as its an upgrade as well as the swingarm. hope that helps. also still have that piece you need for the shock for that 10 you have
Thanx...Do you know what spring is stiffer...Im thinking about maybe going to a 636 shock on my 10...My turbocharged 03 636 worked awesome with the stock shock...I sold my stock 08 zx10 shock last year and got a busa shock, but now after some changes, it may be a little to stiff for what im trying to do.....

and I ended up getting that piece from another member on the 10 forum when I never heard back from you...

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
I don't have an answer for you but you could go on Kawasaki.com and check the part numbers.

:dunno:
Don't forget sometimes they will change colors on parts and the part number will be diff

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
03-04 was still made by KYB, the 05 they switched to Showa.

I'm going from memory here, I think the 05/06 shock is 13 1/8" center to center....that was 1/8" shorter than the 98-02 shock. Never checked an 03/04

Racetech has measured spring rates for most bikes....those numbers are usually a sample of 1 or 2...your spring could easily vary 10% from what they list.

·
Ninja Bike Forum Mod
22,254 Posts
The spring rates might actually be softer on the 05/06 since most will say that the 03/04 bikes were over sprung. The easiest way to make sure the shock mounts properly is to use the dogbone that matches the shock.

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
Moved this to the general ZX6r section as it pertains to two generations of 6r's. Sorry for any cornfusion!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts