Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well first and foremost, I'm not here to get flamed just here for possible answers. I think i've been around long enough to be spared some flaming. So here is what happened. I was on a long 3 hour ride of straight highway and i was pretty much well into triple digits the whole time, I mean like 150 straight for long periods of time. It was daytime and pretty much no traffic and I was running behind schedule (not trying to justify). So anyway about 2 hours into the trip i passed a cop at a speed trap at 140 mph. He didnt turn his lights on right away (not actually sure if anyone was in the car as state troopers have been know to leave empty cars on the side of the highway). But I wasn't about to slow down to see if he pulled out so i pulled back the throttle to try to get of at the next exit before there was any chance he could catch up. I was accelerating at about 160 and all of a sudden the bike stops accelerating and slows down to about 148 and then catches again and bogs down again for the next couple miles. Anyway i pulled off and mad a few quick turns and parked behind a dumpster at a fast food place and got something to eat for about a half hour and then took back roads to my final destination. Havent had a problem since, rode about 150 miles of twisties pretty hard the next day and did the 3 hour trip again (at a considerably slower pace) with no problems. So i was just wondering what could make the bike do that? I have new spark plugs and a new air filter, and the bike has 12,000 miles. I was thinking maybe just going so fast for so long the injectors or fuel pump got overheated or something. Thanks for the help in advance. Flame suit on.

·
Registered
550 Posts
That sounds pretty reasonable - I doubt that's a scenario that has been tested much. Everything that moves the fuel generates heat, at sustained output near their limits, I could definitely see the whole system warming up. It doesn't take a really high amount of heat (relative to the heat the machine makes, that is) to make the fuel vaporize before it's supposed to. I've heard of this happening in carb'd vehicles on sustained speed runs, don't see why it couldn't happen on FI. To me your theory seems plausible.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Slipping clutch? When mine started to go out it would slip and lunge the bike forward like I was braking hard whenever I decelerated from 135 up. If I brought it up to 140 indicated, teh very instant I let off the throttle the clutch would slip and it felt like I was squeezing my front brakes. To test this I would rev on/rev off super fast and slow speeds, and the clutch would definately slip. Replaced the clutch and all went away.

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
Originally posted by duh1nonly
Slipping clutch? When mine started to go out it would slip and lunge the bike forward like I was braking hard whenever I decelerated from 135 up. If I brought it up to 140 indicated, teh very instant I let off the throttle the clutch would slip and it felt like I was squeezing my front brakes. To test this I would rev on/rev off super fast and slow speeds, and the clutch would definately slip. Replaced the clutch and all went away.

Wouldnt the rpms' race if the clutch was slipping? :D

Who knows but possiblility of the vapor lock issue shouldnt be thrown out, like said fuel heats up and vaporizes, it definatly happens in some instances, I never had it on my bike but then again i was never going 150 for a long peroid of time..

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i guess ill have to settle for that answer right now. Just wanted to be see if there was anything posssibly wrong with my bike. Thanks for the input. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the clutch at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
have you installed an alarm unit to your motorcycle?is it connected to the ecu in anyway????it is clearly from the ecu.Try again at top speed if you have no problem then it was an ecu mistake or water in the fuel etc etc etc.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.