Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the whole summer but I finally got it. Okay in my world if I can go ten car lengths that qualifys as a wheelie...I redlined first gear while on the 1st gear wheelie. I was able to get one or two 2nd gear wheelies; only pop up off the ground for like 5 feet about 1 foot off the ground. Had one really smooth one about 10 feet...

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Hooray!

·
Registered
763 Posts
im the same way man... i can power wheelie 1st no problem and have it come up, then be at redline, let off and have the bike come down.

and 2nd gear clutch ups i can get up... sometimes a foot, sometimes all the way up to like 10 or 11oclock but cant hold them up yet :(

havent tried stand ups yet (tried bouncing it, dont like that and couldnt get it up)... wanna try staggered clutch ups soon tho but kinda scared.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You guys are slackin!!! I made it a goal to have wheelies down by the end of summer (only had my bike about a month)... Basically every straight i found i would practice, now with about 4,000 miles on the bike standups are as long as i want them to be, staggared is a lil shakey but the same... Bounce up, clutch up, whatever i feel like.

PRACTICE!!!

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I haven't even tried to wheelie my bike. I've done it many times on accident though, when downshifting to pass and such. It's not a very comfortable feeling. I guess I focus more on getting my knee down, instead of my front wheel up.

·
Registered
323 Posts
wheelies are so easy.....best way to learn is at nite on the highway on a straight...get in second gear doing about 45-50 and dont hold the bars for dear life...rev that bitch till like 12-14k and pop the clucth...think of it like pulling the trigger on a gun and watch it come up nice and easy.

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Originally posted by pcracks25
wheelies are so easy.....best way to learn is at nite on the highway on a straight...get in second gear doing about 45-50 and dont hold the bars for dear life...rev that bitch till like 12-14k and pop the clucth...think of it like pulling the trigger on a gun and watch it come up nice and easy.
I agree with the analogy of pulling the trigger on a gun, but I don't like your method of reving to 14k and "popping" the clutch. Maybe its just the way you described it. When I had my 636, I would rev to like 8-9K, use one finger to slightly pull in the clutch (just enough to allow it to slip) and simultaneously go WOT and let go of the clutch. It should pop right up, then let off the gas slightly to keep from looping.

At first your going to let off too much which will make the wheel come down, sometimes hard. I agree with what he said about not gripping too tight. If you come down with the handlebars crooked, it could cause a tank slapper. Use your arms like a damper.

Just keep practicing and you will get a feel for it.

Cover your brake, wear all your gear, and have fun.

·
Registered
323 Posts
sorry lol am thinkin of my current bike 06 gixxer 1000...i have to bring up to redline to clutch it up. redline is at 14k on the 1000. on my old 636 i used to bring it up to like 10k

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
sorry lol am thinkin of my current bike 06 gixxer 1000...i have to bring up to redline to clutch it up. redline is at 14k on the 1000. on my old 636 i used to bring it up to like 10k
You have to bring it to redline to get a gixxer 1000 up? That sounds kinda strange. I clutch up my zx10r at about 8-9K just like I did on my old 636.

Are you holding the revs constant at redline and then just slipping the clutch? I'm no stunter, but that seems like the wrong way to do it. For the experts out there, don't you want to roll on the throttle to get the wheel up? Holding the revs at redline and then slipping it would make the bike slow down and then jump forward when you let the clutch engage. Sounds dangerous. But hey, maybe I'm doing them wrong.

·
Registered
327 Posts
^

thats how you die. . .

you shouldn't have to rev that high especially on a liter bike

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ive been working on my weelies since I got the bike. Mostly clutchin first gear. I must say though some days it goes awesome and feels just great- others its like my timing is off on the WOT and the clutch slip- Any suggestions? (I know- practice. practice, practice)Any risk to clutch in slipping it? Also have never been able to Power it up- Im sure its me because the bike has tons of torque- but again any suggestions from those or others that have "under Litre" bikes would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Patrick

·
Registered
327 Posts
Originally posted by PSTEWART
Ive been working on my weelies since I got the bike. Mostly clutchin first gear. I must say though some days it goes awesome and feels just great- others its like my timing is off on the WOT and the clutch slip- Any suggestions? (I know- practice. practice, practice)Any risk to clutch in slipping it? Also have never been able to Power it up- Im sure its me because the bike has tons of torque- but again any suggestions from those or others that have "under Litre" bikes would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Patrick
You should have no trouble getting the front wheel up on power, even though clutching up is much safer. You might be sitting too tucked to make the front end lift, just sit a little more relaxed and more upright.

·
Registered
562 Posts
1st gear power wheelies are more controled to me than clutching it up, in my opinion. But I am still new with
only 3 years riding. I love the feeling of only being on one wheel.

--Anthony

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.