Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a full muzzys exhaust in the works and since I plan on installing a full exhaust instead of a slip-on I will be re-jetting the carbs too. I was wondering if on these bikes a k&n filter makes any difference. I know that on past bikes it has gone either way depending on the bike. So I figured I would get opinions on the difference the filter makes on these bikes before i spent the money. It seems that these bikes could possibly benefit from a k&n but I would like to at least think it is going to make a difference this time as I have been disappointed in the past. Thanks guys..........

·
Resident Brit™
1,157 Posts
I cant speak for everyone but for my particular situation the K&N definately helped let my bike breathe better. I had it on dyno and it was running lean so i was advised to put a K&N in to help smooth out the curve and help the mixture.

Blue Flame Performance Race Can is all i had at the time no jet kit and it was putting out 105.3bhp at the rear wheel so the K&N should have helped that a little I am busy working recently so dont have a chance to get it back on the dyno to see.

Russ

·
Registered
532 Posts
well i felt a HUGE difference. then again my stock filter was 8k miles old. it really smoothed out the power. BUT the reason i bought it was for the reuseabilty. i didnt feel like shelling out money all the time for new filter and since my truck has a k&n i can clean both at the same time.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The more I think about it I will probably get one anyways just to compliment the full exhaust whenever I get around to buying it. More than likely it will help in one way or another wether I feel a difference or not but I will be installing it at the same time as all the other mods so i wont have anything to judge it against anyhow.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Can't speak for the bike, but I put a K&N drop-in in my truck ('04 Dakota 4.7L) and gained a few extra MPGs... so I am guessing it can't hurt in the bike. But the more you change the more likely you are to have to rejet.. On my '99 M750 (monster) I had an open airbox (a plastic ring, repalcing the airbox cover), slip-ons, and a BMC filter (K&N comparable), bike ran like poo until I got a stage II jetting done on it.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Originally posted by Deathace
I cant speak for everyone but for my particular situation the K&N definately helped let my bike breathe better. I had it on dyno and it was running lean so i was advised to put a K&N in to help smooth out the curve and help the mixture.

Blue Flame Performance Race Can is all i had at the time no jet kit and it was putting out 105.3bhp at the rear wheel so the K&N should have helped that a little I am busy working recently so dont have a chance to get it back on the dyno to see.

Russ
i'm kinda lost with the recommendation of a k&n when the bike is running lean (too much air/not enough fuel). if the filter assists in increased air flow, would it not further lean the mixture out?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Added it to my '01 6R. Did not seem to change top end, but low end throttle response was better.

The stock filter is supposed to flow fine. My take on the difference was the airflow as smoother (less turbulence) not more airflow.

·
Registered
532 Posts
the stock filter is a foam sheet that doesnt flow air evenly....so it can hender atomization. k&ns are a grid cotton mesh thats oiled. so they smooth out the flow more evenly.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
directly from the K&N website's FAQ section:

"We design our air filters to provide minimum restriction allowing high airflow into an engine. In the vast majority of cases increased airflow will increase engine performance measured by horsepower and throttle response (torque)."

this may be true, but only to the extent of EFI when applied to this situation. in order to maximize performance, you would have to adjust the jets to take on more fuel, or limit the oxygen entering the engine, depending on which is have trouble.

you also must take into account outside air temp, altitude (density varies at different heighths), engine temp, and tons of other factors. but i suppose that's getting a bit too specific for the majority of riders. if i see a performance gain, i'm happy!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I dropped a K&N filter in my '06 ZZR600 (a rebadged '00-'02 ZX6r) after having my Muzzy bolt-on for 2 months prior. After putting the K&N filter in I felt a bit more low end and also seemed to smooth out acceleration. I am really happy with the outcome.

·
Registered
56 Posts
does anyone add individual pod filters on these things? i would assume that would be the best way to pick up power on a carb'd bike

·
Registered
442 Posts
Id never ever drop a "recharged" filter in any of my vehicles. Filtration quality goes straight down the pooper.

K&N flows more because the holes are bigger. Its not magic. When you "recharge" it you make it worse (some holes get bigger, others get smaller- not very even grid like when it was new)

not worth it on the street, especially on a small high speed engine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Individual pods don't work well because the airflow is really uneven. They will also get dirty unevenly too.

Actually, I've heard that the stock filter will net you more power than the K&N. Often times people percieve that there is a power gain from doing a mod because they expect it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.