Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came back from work and nearly dropped my bike. I store my bike in a shed in the back yard and there is a lot of wooden decking around it. As it rained last night the deck was still wet and, as I made a right turn around the house and stopped I put my foot down and it slid on the deck. If the 250 were any heavier it would have gone down. Hooray for light bikes. Of course, when holding it up as your leg slides sideways it still feels heavy.

Tim

·
Registered
224 Posts
I almost dropped mine the other day when i was turning left at a 4 way intersection and someone ran a red light and would of hit me if i didn't stop so fast. Since i was turning left the bike fell to the left and would of hit the ground if i didn't get both feet on the ground and pulled it back up. Good thing it didn't fall or i would of followed that car all the way home.

·
Veteran Lowsider
20,840 Posts
Lucky you caught it, since i have a 430 pound bike, its VERY hard to catch lol. I've only had to catch my bike twice(more than i wish i had to). Luckily the first time i caught it. I knew it was going and was like ZOMG MY BABY BIKE MIGHT FALL and used all my strength to catch it. Note : my strength needs some work :eek:. But ya, ive also failed to catch my bike in a parking lot turning too sharp and braking to yield to pedestrians. I was so mad that I didn't have the skill to keep my bike up!

Rep for the catch!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Lucky you caught it, since i have a 430 pound bike, its VERY hard to catch lol. I've only had to catch my bike twice(more than i wish i had to). Luckily the first time i caught it. I knew it was going and was like ZOMG MY BABY BIKE MIGHT FALL and used all my strength to catch it. Note : my strength needs some work :eek:. But ya, ive also failed to catch my bike in a parking lot turning too sharp and braking to yield to pedestrians. I was so mad that I didn't have the skill to keep my bike up!

Rep for the catch!
I'm sure you were thinking, note to self lift more weights :p

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I just came back from work and nearly dropped my bike. I store my bike in a shed in the back yard and there is a lot of wooden decking around it. As it rained last night the deck was still wet and, as I made a right turn around the house and stopped I put my foot down and it slid on the deck. If the 250 were any heavier it would have gone down. Hooray for light bikes. Of course, when holding it up as your leg slides sideways it still feels heavy.

Tim
I have the same problem. Shed in the back of the house where I keep the bike and 300' to the driveway. I've tried riding it from the shed and on wet grass it's tried to come out from under me. If I walk it the second I roll over the wet landscape timbers it tries to come out from under me. Good thing I like small bikes. I wouldn't want to try either of those with a $7000 600cc bike. I have a friend with a 735-pound American Iron chopper. That thing starts going over and it's not only gone, but it's hundreds of dollars in cosmetic repairs. You think that guy would own a bike like that if he didn't have a garage and a nice, flat driveway?
The 330lb. Ninja - making riders happy everywhere. Even the ones who have to schlep it to the curb to ride it! :D

·
Registered
123 Posts

Tim
yikes! lucky you. I've had a few lucky times myself.

The night i got my 08 250 i was out in the driveway till 4am doing all the mods i had pre-planned (i only had two days at home to do the work with a garage full of tools before returning to NYC) my brain and body were fried by the time i was done and had the bike back together but i wanted to go for a test ride really bad (i know, stupid). i get on the bike move it forward a few feet, then remember to turn off the garage light. I had never raised the kickstand and wasn't paying attention, so i actually put the kickstand UP and leaned the bike over to rest it thinking the stand was down (it was a fluid motion haha) and by the time i realized the bike was not stopping i had it far enough over to very very slowly lay it onto the driveway. didnt even scratch the bar end but twisted the shifter. total jackass...

another time i was making a right turn and hit a patch of gravel, the back end went out on me but luckily i was going fairly slow, put my foot down as a relflex and kicked the bike back up enough to steer out of it...

SORRY for the threadjack, just sharin my slow speed "falls" if you will. haha

Stay up!

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have had to catch heavier cruisers before but luckily (knock on wood) I haven't yet on this one

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Part of the problem was my own stupid fault. I ride the bike up the grass and through the gate but have to make a sharp turn past the back of the house. Going slowly as I turn right I made the mistake of using the front brake. I think we all know what happens when you touch the front brake with the front wheel turned sharply to the right. Sudden stop and topple to the right. That was bad enough but putting my foot down on slippery deck just made things worse. It just reinforces the fact that I should NOT use the front brake with the wheel turned sharply. I thought I learned that lesson already. Doh!

Tim

·
Veteran Lowsider
20,840 Posts
If you havent dropped your bike yet or havent yet bought frame sliders it wouold be a good time to buy some. I prefer buying a racing rail though.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Part of the problem was my own stupid fault. I ride the bike up the grass and through the gate but have to make a sharp turn past the back of the house. Going slowly as I turn right I made the mistake of using the front brake. I think we all know what happens when you touch the front brake with the front wheel turned sharply to the right. Sudden stop and topple to the right. That was bad enough but putting my foot down on slippery deck just made things worse. It just reinforces the fact that I should NOT use the front brake with the wheel turned sharply. I thought I learned that lesson already. Doh!

Tim
Learned the same lesson durning a MSF course. My wheel was far left and I used the front brake leaving me to put out my left foot. I was fortunate enough not to drop the bike but I had a hell of a time fighting with my left leg to keep it up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dropped mine last Friday

I'm a new rider with 4,000 miles on my 2008 250R. Was doing a U-turn in a protected center turn lane and, for some dumb reason, hit the front brake with the wheel turned far to the left. (I guess I forgot it wasn't like a bicycle). It was moving to the ground quickly and got my left leg out but wasn't stopping it. Managed (somehow) to swing my right leg around but it was too late: Both me and the bike are down in the median.

Fortunately no traffic but did have two or three cars stop to ask me if I was OK. Embarrassing.

Bent the shift lever a little but amazingly not much damage other than that (I still have no idea.)

I had full gear on: Helmet, gloves, jacket, boots -- so not even a scratch on me.

You know, I took the MSC but there never was any emphasis about stopping with the front tire straight. I don't need to learn that now!!!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You know, I took the MSC but there never was any emphasis about stopping with the front tire straight. I don't need to learn that now!!!!
It only takes once for this lesson to be learned, well, maybe twice for me. Luckily I did not drop it either time, but it was close. If the bike was 50-100 pounds heavier down she would have gone.

Tim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts