Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering upping to a 02 9r. I currently ride a 02 6r. I've never been on a 9r, but how different are they?....weight, handling, etc.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
well one has roughly 300 more cc's lol;)
the 9 is heavier (not in a good way) turn in isn't that great, it's really more like a really sporty sport tourer...try a honda 929 or what ever they are 954?

·
Premium Member
11,912 Posts
One big difference you might want to consider is insurance. The 9R is ranked with the big boys and insurance is considerably higher than the 6R. I think the 9R's handle quite well though(not as good as a 6R of course, but it is not a touring bike). I originally wanted the 9R, I had never been on anything below 750 and thought a 6R would be too small, but settled for the 6R because of price and insurance (only a weekend toy, not worth the extra cost). Doesn't cost anything to take one for a spin at a dealer, give it a try, find out for yourself, it's the best way to know.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
The 9 is physically bigger, therefore more comfortable if you are a big guy. It gives you a bit more room. The 9 accelerates faster. The 9 is more work in tight, twisty stuff. At the end of a long twisty section (on a 9 with standard suspension settings) you'll be grateful for the rest. With the 6, you'll wonder why the fun stopped so soon.

The standard suspension on the 9 is softer than the 6 but it might not bother you. If you're a smooth rider, you'll probably like the suspension, if you're rough, it'll probably be too soft.

The 6 leans over a bit more easily. The 9 has a much more effortless feel about the way it accelerates.

That's most of the difference, really. You have to remember though, that the handling differences between them, and the "handling deficiencies" of the 9 can easily be improved vastly with a bit of thought and if necessary, some new springs and revalving. The 9's can be made to handle really well for not much money and they handle pretty damn well in standard form.

In short, do you want a bike you can wring the neck off? Or do you want to pull really effortless wheelies?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
After reading that. What's the power and torque of a 9R?

I see a lot of them around here, propably because of better top speed. Do they really handle bad? Any 9R riders around?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Btw, maybe look at 10R too. It will be more expensive, but maybe worth the difference?

Looking at the German and US Kawa sites, I realized 9R is not there anymore. Are they out of production?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Originally posted by Wintermute
Btw, maybe look at 10R too. It will be more expensive, but maybe worth the difference?

Looking at the German and US Kawa sites, I realized 9R is not there anymore. Are they out of production?
10R and 9R are totally different bikes. It's bit like comparing -03 6r and pre -03 6r. 10R is very similar to -03 6R when it comes to weight, size and riding position. Despite physical dimensions, the biggest difference will be that 10R is probably going to put out over 20 hp more than a 9R at the rear wheel :D...

ps. Performance Bikes tested -03 6R against 9R and actually the 6R was faster in a straight line in certain cases so if youre expecting a massive increase in performance over your 6R go for the 10R.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts

I see a lot of them around here, propably because of better top speed. Do they really handle bad? Any 9R riders around?
Generally around 120-130hp at the tire stock. There are tons of parts for it. Feels really big compared to other bikes, but thats a plus for me because it feels rock solid when it comes to stability. Far less headshake than a suckzuki or Honduh. Now as far as handling, there are not many curvey roads around my area. But the few we have I have had no problems with them. You can run away from any 600 with ease. (Ain't that right ga6rr :D) Ive seen 190+ on the speedo and still pulling rpm's. And like what was said earlier, WHEELIES!!! First and second, a little throttle and up it goes. Third a little clutch or bounce and up it goes. Still working on fourth though!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Originally posted by kilaman

You can run away from any 600 with ease. (Ain't that right ga6rr :D) Ive seen 190+ on the speedo and still pulling rpm's. And like what was said earlier, WHEELIES!!! First and second, a little throttle and up it goes. Third a little clutch or bounce and up it goes. Still working on fourth though!
You can run away from any 600 with ease? Puh-Lease...you're so full of it you're eyes are turning brown(er).

If you've seen 190 mph on your speedo its because you've gone over a cliff and are nearing terminal velocity.
190 mph (with revs left to go, too funny man!) is what the very fastest SUPERBIKES were running at Daytona this past week - SUPERBIKES dude, not 420lb(wet), 128 hp, 900cc streetbikes.

The BS-O-Meter is off the charts man...

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
Young Lion I've ridden kilaman's bike and while I don't believe his speedo is correct the bike is way stupid fast. In stock form(which kilaman's bike is not) there is no 600 that will run with a 900 on top end. The 9 will pass you around 140 or 150 even with a head start. Kilaman admits it's not that easy to catch me and I have held off a older model 900 to 170 mph(my bike is not stock) but they will pass you on a straightaway if it's long enough.

·
Registered
493 Posts
weight has an enormous effect on acceleration while horsepower has an enormous effect on top speed... that explains why a 03 6r(lighter)... can accellerate with the heavier more powerful 9r... but the nine has a higher topspeed

·
Registered
493 Posts
and not to spoil anyones fun but everyone saying the see 180+ on thier 600's and 190+on thier 9r's 200+on thier 12's with lots of revs to go...
yourr speedo is about 8percent fast from the factory... becoming less accurate as speed increases... and most stock bikes cant touch redline in sixth gear...
i think it was sport rider tested the topspeed of the 03 6r on radar... i wanna say 158 and some change and they got the 03 gixxer1000 to 175 i think it was... on radar
[}:)]

·
Registered
81 Posts
I traded in my '99 9R (31K miles) for my '03 6R. The biggest thing I miss about the 9 is the grunt of the extra cc's. I don't think the 1/4 mile times were much different, but the 9 felt much faster. I wish I could have rode them back to back on the track. I bet the times would be about the same because what the 9 might lose in the turns, it would make up on the straights. The 6 makes me work a lot harder due to all the gear changing needed to stay in the sweet spot. I really enjoyed the 9 but was starting to worry about the high mileage.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Originally posted by YoungLion

You can run away from any 600 with ease. (Ain't that right ga6rr :D) Ive seen 190+ on the speedo and still pulling rpm's. And like what was said earlier, WHEELIES!!! First and second, a little throttle and up it goes. Third a little clutch or bounce and up it goes. Still working on fourth though!
You can run away from any 600 with ease? Puh-Lease...you're so full of it you're eyes are turning brown(er).

If you've seen 190 mph on your speedo its because you've gone over a cliff and are nearing terminal velocity.
190 mph (with revs left to go, too funny man!) is what the very fastest SUPERBIKES were running at Daytona this past week - SUPERBIKES dude, not 420lb(wet), 128 hp, 900cc streetbikes.

Okay YoungCub. I'm gonna make this real simple!!!!

First, yes I can run from a 600 with ease and so can every other 900 like mine. You can't cheat physics. There is no replacement for displacement. You saying that a 900 can't run from a 600 is like saying a 1200 can't run from a 900. And I know that that ain't true!!!

Second, I have seen one 190 on the SPEEDO I did not say that I was clocked going 190. Everyone knows that there are errors in the speedo and even more when you go down one in the front like mine.
Read this http://kawiforums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10864

Third, dig your shit out of the snow and line up with this 420lb 128hp streetbike and see what happens to ya! [:M80]

And LAST, read the last sentence on this post. I have good brakes!!!![}:)][}:)][}:)]

Thax for the backup GA6RR. When are you gonna start putting that front tire in the air?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Originally posted by YoungLion

Okay YoungCub. I'm gonna make this real simple!!!!

First, yes I can run from a 600 with ease and so can every other 900 like mine. You can't cheat physics. There is no replacement for displacement. You saying that a 900 can't run from a 600 is like saying a 1200 can't run from a 900. And I know that that ain't true!!!

Second, I have seen one 190 on the SPEEDO I did not say that I was clocked going 190. Everyone knows that there are errors in the speedo and even more when you go down one in the front like mine.
Read this http://kawiforums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10864

Third, dig your shit out of the snow and line up with this 420lb 128hp streetbike and see what happens to ya! [:M80]

And LAST, read the last sentence on this post. I have good brakes!!!![}:)][}:)][}:)]

Thax for the backup GA6RR. When are you gonna start putting that front tire in the air?
Blah, blah, blah...

I don't quite understand you're last sentence there pal, you'll slow down so I can see there front of your bike? Wouldn't it be the back of your bike if you were slowing down?

Either way, if I was behind you it would obviously be because you were about to be lapped.

-Laws of physics have little to do with two street riders riding on a twisty backroad - displacement will only save your ass if we're at a dragstrip punk.

"Dig my bike out of the snow"? - its almost 50 degrees up here and will stay that way all winter - maybe you should dig the ignorance outta your ears Georgia boy and take it easy on the cow tippin' and peach pickin'.

[:p]

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Now I know how a Special Ed. teacher must feel. No matter how much you try to teach them, some retards just can't learn. So I'll break it down for you.

About understanding my sentence, being that you're slow you probably are always playing catch up, and don't have the concept of being in front.

2#
Get the ignorance out my ears? How bout ingnorace in my eyes? Reading that "Laws of physics have little to do with two street riders riding on a twisty backroad." Everything in the world works off physics. What was your major in college? Fingerpainting?

3#
I have to give it to you, though, I was wrong about the snow. I was thinking of another area. No wonder you think you're as fast a zx9, it's never dry enough for you guys to actually race!!! Damn thunderstorms and puddles keep you guys under 50 mph.

And Last #4
Cow tippin' is fun and peaches are damn good and sweet!!!

HAPPY!!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
OH YEAH [:M84]&[:M27]

·
Registered
386 Posts
"The everything in the world works off physics. What was your major in college? Fingerpainting?"

The everything in the world works off physics? Say it to yourself slowly, repeat, then ask yourself if your major in college was, oh, wait, you prolly didn't make it to high school so don't worry about it. This grammar stuff is pretty hard huh?

Either way, this is about 10 minutes of my life that I'll never get back so how about you go back to tippin' Holsteins and I'll concentrate on my fingerpainting.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.