Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I moved to Australia from Canada a few months back and since the weather is great here year round, I decided to look for a bike for transportation. I looked around and settled on a 97 Ninja ZX6. (I signed the papers on it today at the dealer.) I googled the bike to see what i could find on it, plus potential mods and stuff. This lead me to a question. What is the difference between the ZX6 and the ZX6R was it just some mods that made the bike lighter? can you modify the ZX6 to get it up to par with the 'R' model?

What are the upsides and downsides for the bike?

I also wanted to know what kind of mods I can make to the bike. Its got an aftermarket pipe already, but I wanted to know what else I can do to get some extra power out of it.

I got a pretty good deal on the bike and so I want to put a few dollars into it to make it look and ride better.

Im thinking about sliders for the potential drop issue.

What can anyone tell me about making some starter mods?
IE Suspension, Motor, Etc. Also I wanted to know if I could update some of the body panels and make it look a bit newer. IE the tail looks a bit bulky, and the headlight is a single, where I like the look of a double. Are the panels from year to year interchangeable?

I also wanted to give the bike a new color since its got a drab silver thats sort of faded and Im thinking about the Kawi Green, or a Jet Black. I want to either do it myself or find a local reputable body shop to spray the bike for me. I noticed a thread about that, but nothing about where to go in my area.

I live on the Gold Coast in Australia, and would like some pointers from some locals on where to take my bike for service etc. I bought the bike from a Yamaha dealer, but I would rather a good Kawi mechanic work on it.

Anyway, theres lots here to answer, and for those that give me partial answers or tackle the whole thing.. Thanks a lot!!

Cheers
Ron

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
In a word, No.
The ZX6 and ZX6R are completely different bikes. Look around for pics of both, engine, frame, and just about every other component are different.
You may have trouble finding performance mods for that bike, it's a good bike, but it's not designed for performance, it is more of a sport touring style bike. As a result not many performance parts were made.

On the plus side, that model was made up until 2004 or so, depending on region, so replacement parts are plentiful.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually might be mistaken about it being a ZX6 instead of the 'R'
I googled my vin (starting with JKAZX4F1) and got a hit that said that the bike is a ZX600-F2:NINJA (ZX-6R) and the bike I put a deposit on looks like the ZX6R, and based on what you said in your response about the bikes looking very different, I think its a ZX6R. I also attached the spec sheet that I found on google that leads me to beleive that I have an 'R'

Anyway, the bike is a Ninja, it has the farings and the headlight like the images of an 'R' that I found on google.

So the next question is, what kind of mods should I make on the bike as a starter? its got an aftermarket slip on muffler already. The bike could use a respray. The bike is silver, with a red 'ninja' decal on it, along with some checkers that sort of sweep along the bottom of the bike. As my last post indicated, Im thinking of either the Kawi Green, or a straight gloss black. with some chromed parts.

I havent taken delivery of the bike yet, so can you tell me any areas that I should look out for when going back to inspect it again? problem areas etc?

Thanks Again
Cheers
Ron

[attached]

·
Registered
115 Posts
post a pic of the bike, camera on your phone perhaps, then we can help.

my 96 ZX6R is attached, if it looks like mine then its a 'R'

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah it looks like yours..
I also did some research online and found that the ZX6 has the front signals moulded onto the front fairing so they look like bulges whereas the R has them seperate like yours and the one that I bought.

The spec sheet I attached to the last post also indicates that I have an 'R'

Now for advice on mods.. anything to offer?

Cheers
Ron

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found a pic of it on the dealers website
its attached here.. the dealer has it listed as a ZX6R as well

·
Registered
945 Posts
You can do a tail swap and switch the gas tank, tail and seat and have the 98-01 style zx6r tail. As far as performance you can get a new exhaust and a jet kit.

Heres mine with the tail swap:

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Ron, there was no ZX-6 in Australia (or the world outside North America for that matter), there was only the ZX-6R. The ZX-6(D/E) of North America was known everywhere else as the ZZR600.

As a result, the ZX-6R is often referred to in Australia simply as the ZX-6, because there are no other variations of it here.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Guys,

I now know for sure what kind of bike I am buying and know that I can do a tail swap. The job looks good. How hard was it? any modifications to mounting holes? Did you source aftermarket panels? or did you find and use parts off a wrecked bike?

Any info would be great. What about undertail exhaust? can this be done easily?

Cheers
Ron

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Camaroguy72 fitted an underseat exhaust to his '95 ZX-6R. I think there's a thread about how he did it on here somewhere.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.