Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just the adjustment? I see that the bulbs appear exactly the same. Is anything different in the housing (a cut-off or something)?

Is there any reason I can't adjust my high beam downwards to be the same as a my lowbeam? And my low beams up a bit so they go a little further?

·
Registered
11,720 Posts
i could be wrong about this one, but they are both at the same angle and they are the same bulb and everything, there is just a high beam reflector over the low beam bulb. Basically, look at the low beam side and there is a chrome cap in front of the bulb to keep it from being so bright and the high beam side doesnt have one. just pull the cap through the backside and you will have two high beams.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't do that because I have HID lights. But maybe I can trim it? I'll have to pull the bulbs and have a look. Thanks

·
Registered
757 Posts
Two things: First, obviously, is the dome that doesn't let the low-beam bulb shine straight through. Second is the difference in reflector design that is not very obvious until you look close enough. You can really see it once the dome is out - the area of the low-beam reflector right around the bulb (about 2 inches in diameter) is non-reflective. That's all the difference there is. Adjustment range is huge, you can do pretty much whatever you want other than maybe make your lights shine backwards. However if you remove the dome with HIDs, you'll be lighting up the tree tops no matter how far down you adjust the reflectors. That's why almost all cars with HIDs have them in projector housings. For a while a number of cars had HIDs in regular housings and they had to go with some ridiculous dome designs to prevent blinding oncoming traffic. Furthermore, projector housings must have cutoff lines AND have to have a servo connected to the leveler (usually in the trunk, at least on Jaguars and Aston Martins). When going up or down the hill, that servo adjusts the beam up or down even more. To sum it up, legal/proper HID setup is a PITA.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks moloko. I'm going to try adjusting my lowbeams a bit upward before I do anything else. Mine only go about twenty feet.

·
Registered
306 Posts
who needs lights they are a crutch thats why i took mine out i just wear a headband with a light at night[}:)]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.