Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 6R and 6RR say they have a "back-torque limited clutch". How does this differ from a slipper clutch, or are they the same?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Well, a slipper is something your wife throws at you. The back torque thing only comes after the slipper thing. [:I]

·
Registered
297 Posts
Does the ZX-6R have the slipper clutch or just the RR? The dealership I bought my bike from seemed to think that the RR did and the R did not...

·
Registered
394 Posts
The 636 has it also. The previuos models, 03-04 only the rr had it. Now we all do!!! yeehaa

·
Registered
148 Posts
Now that that is cleared up, I can feel free to hijack....

I was under the impression that a slipper clutch would allow the rider to dump the clutch at a higher speed than normal without causing the rear to lock up. My buddy with a new R6 dumps his clutch from 4th to 2nd gear at like 130mph, whereas I had considerable fishtailing downshifting from 3rd to 2nd at about 115mph (2nd goes to about 100mph at redline). Yes, this was on a track and yes, you should never just "dump" the clutch - but what gives? I must have left a 50 ft skidmark the last time I did this (not to mention the change of underwear needed).

·
Registered
297 Posts
-Chingon-

That why I kinda wonder about the 6R. Is ours just set really tight or something? Does anyone on here have a 6RR and had better results because I dont ever feel anything slippin...

·
Registered
272 Posts
i had an '04 636 right before I got myself an '05 and I can tell you that the slipper clutch is in fact there and working. i would have to be dead on with blipping the throttle everytime i downshifted in the '04 or else i'd get some twitching, but in the '05 i could literally bring it up to 5th and slam it down to 2nd with not much of a fuss. it's still a good idea to blip the throttle for the extra smoothness though.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Originally posted by GreenEnvy
Chingon, there are limits to how much it will slip, so in your case, you probably exceeded it.
While it does a good job of preventing this, if you are on the brakes hard, the back end will get light, and the wheel may lock anyway.
Aw, yes. I was on the brakes pretty hard so that would explain it. I guess even with all the go-fast goodies I still have to learn how to actually ride properly[:p]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.