Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As far as I'm aware the only difference is paint schemes. The '02 got the 636 in Australia/Europe, but the 01 and 00 are the same.

Red 2002 ZX-6R 636

It's not the speed that kills, it's the sudden stop...

·
Registered
23 Posts
In the UK the only difference was colour and graphics, 00 bikes were green, silver and red, 01 bikes were green, blue and yellow.

00 bikes had a fade from white effect at the bottom of the belly pan that was not on the 01.

One has a "rising sun" design and the other a "setting sun" (the stripes are a different layout) bit I don't know which way round is which.

00 is a J1 model, 01 is J2.

A mine of useless information.

Hugh. (blue J2)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys.
So no mechanical/performance differences?

Im surprised no-one has said (in regards to the differences) oh about one year[:p]

Go hard or go home

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
There were some mechanical changes, not a lot, but the 01 was supposed to be a little quicker (by little quicker I mean we're splitting hairs) . I don't remember where I read that, it was a review of the 01 6R, and they talked about a couple minor changes.

-=Welcome To Canada=-

2002 Green 6R
1986 Gixxer 7/11

·
Registered
261 Posts
Are there any?? I have been looking through my magazines and cant find any information. Any info would be good. Thanks in advance.:D

Go hard or go home

·
Registered
37 Posts
How about any differences between an 00 and an 02? I am trying to decide which one to buy. The 00 is cheaper but isn't in quite as good of shape as the 02, which is perfect except for some light scuffing on the plastic from a no speed slow drop.
Mileage on both is aroun 2,000.
00 is asking $4,600
02 is asking 5,900 but I'm planning on offering $5,500

No, I don't want a pickle,
Just want to ride on my motorsickle.

·
Registered
271 Posts
cracked lid,

If you're in the European or Australian markets, the '02 has the 636cc engine, which is said to have greatly improved the '00/ '01 versions -- more torque everywhere, etc. So if you have a line on the '02 AND it's a 636, I'd say go for that.

Otherwise, the 2000 is a great bike. I have one and after having it dynoed, tuned and hollowing out the stock pipe to open it up, I can't look for anything more to ask for: crisp throttle response, pulling power all along the rev range, with an extra kick at 9000 rpm. [^]

Oh, and in case you were wondering, I had the pipework done for a little under a hundred dollars ... with not a flat spot or cough in sight.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I ended up buying the 02 for $5,600. The 00 was a great deal, but there were some maintenance issues with it. The chain was spotted with rust and there was some rust dotting around the pegs as well. The brakes felt vague (probably just needed the fluid changed) and they squeaked as well. It was a lot of little stuff. Plus, the guy selling it didn't seem to have put that much care into it. I decided to pay a little more for the bike that is in basically brand new condition.

So, this is my hello to everyone. I'll be around.

No, I don't want a pickle,
Just want to ride on my motorsickle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.