Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
38,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's been talked about before but I’d like to re-open the discussion. Is it really a big difference between fuels made by different gas companies keeping the same octane as a constant? Or is this a myth?

I ran Hess and BP fuels because they are the cheapest (reputable) gas stations around here. A couple of days ago I ran out of gas and the nearest station was a Shell. For some reason the bike seems to be running a lot better. I've filled it up twice with Shell now and it's running great.

And also, I’ve heard and read that some people say 90 octane might be even better than 93 in terms of performance.

To sum it up:
1. Is there a beneficial difference between fuels made by different companies?
2. What are the benefits of running either 90 octane or 93 octane?

While searching this topic, I found these two threads:
topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4393&SearchTerms=what+gas

topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4803&SearchTerms=what+gas

· Premium Member
38,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I disagree. Fuel is an important part of the life of your engine. Changing your chain is not as expensive as rebuilding your engine. So I do care about what my baby drinks.

Thanks for all the helpfull posts.

I think that by what i've read, as long as you use 90 octane(US) or higher from a reputable gas station you should be ok. It's a mattter of finding out which of those gas stations work better for your bike. Then stick with it.

· Premium Member
38,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I must appologize. The gas that I put in my bike that made it perform better wasn't Shell, it was Mobil. The Shell station is in front of the Mobil station that I went to. I noticed it yesturday.

So there it is, one vote for Mobil.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.