Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright Alright Alright brothers I’m back for more kawawakasaki fun! I’ve posted quite a few times about this bike as it’s my first sport bike and my first sport bike rebuild mechanically and thanks to this forum I’ve been able to narrow down quite a few things to help me along the way! So to update everyone on the current problem I’m having which is the original problem I was having haha and hoping to come to a conclusion.....

But originally when I got the bike it would start and run but when I would ride it after a couple miles it would bog out and die and not re crank. Not until completely cooled down or the next day would it re start. I thought initially this was a carb issue or a rich or lean issue but it was not. Brand new plugs were installed and carbs were synced no issue. Then turned to fuel pump. New fuel pump was installed, new fuel relay from RMStator was installed, all new fuel line and filter, cleaned all vents in tank, petcock was rebuilt, new fuel put in tank. While doing this I had gone ahead and done a new clutch cover, cover gasket, oil pan gasket, stator gasket, k&n all around and Mobil 1 oil. Ran amazing for 3 days, I mean amazing. Went out yesterday 9/2/18 to start it up and it cranked and ran, I noticed it sounded different, like it used to when it ran like shit and then it started to bog out and die and wouldn’t re start just like it used to do. And then no matter what I did choke or no choke it wouln’t re start. Turning over, but sounded like it wasn’t getting any spark at all. Fuel filter is slam full and I know these pumps only prime when they need to so I’m really trying to tell myself it’s not that haha but isn’t the fuel pump supposed to click when the starter is turning? Because it’s not and would a bad stater relay cause that? Because my starter relay sounds like a maraca shaker. But for now on to electrical.

Battery when the bike was running good tested 12.4 cold, 11.3 crank 13.9 and above 14 once it was warmed up if I remember correctly.

All of the coils resistance checked out normal when I had tested them outside the bike and when riding the bike the 3 days it did ride the power was all there boy howdy.

The reason I think it could be the CDI box is because I’ve read other people having problems with theirs where it will ride fine for days and then do this very thing where it won’t start at all or have intermittent spark which is what seems like my bike is having, one day it works the next day it doesn’t.

Here is what I’m concerned about at this point.
1-CDI/Igniter Box
2-Junction Box
3- Short/Main harness (which I do have a donor from an 07)
4- starter relay?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
yeah guys for the record there is a serious problem with mobile double and sometimes triple posting and creating drafts and as fas as I see theres no way to delete a thread? ridiculous :|sorry though lol if theres a way to delete one let a brotha know :smile2:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sorry to hear the bike is being a pain. Can you just clarify something? When you say it sounds like it's running bad, do you mean it's dropping a cylinder? Have you checked to see if the problem is related to just one cylinder, or is it all round lacking power, or random? If you can pinpoint the cylinder it's happening on (if at all), it may help with diagnosis.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry to hear the bike is being a pain. Can you just clarify something? When you say it sounds like it's running bad, do you mean it's dropping a cylinder? Have you checked to see if the problem is related to just one cylinder, or is it all round lacking power, or random? If you can pinpoint the cylinder it's happening on (if at all), it may help with diagnosis.
its not just a one cylinder type of problem, this is a one day the bike runs perfectly fine balls to the wall scare the absolute shit out of you and then the next day it starts and then slowly cuts out and then won't re start. you can lay on the starter, you can hear normal compression wop wop wop wop wop wop wop wop wop but no fire. its got a literal mind of its own. Thats whats making me lean toward the CDI or junction box, that and compression was tested and all that was normal.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Try and test the Igniter, You will need a multimeter (and I use small crocodile clips), but the procedure is pretty straightforward.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d1caj3xhc914p55/ZX6%20IC%20Igniter%20Test.pdf?dl=0

At least you will rule out one component. Check the terminals in the connector to the igniter. If they look corroded, replace them. They are really easy to do and will give peace of mind.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try and test the Igniter, You will need a multimeter (and I use small crocodile clips), but the procedure is pretty straightforward.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d1caj3xhc914p55/ZX6 IC Igniter Test.pdf?dl=0

At least you will rule out one component. Check the terminals in the connector to the igniter. If they look corroded, replace them. They are really easy to do and will give peace of mind.

Hope this helps.
I don’t have that igniter on my bike but I know how to test it and did that and it actually tested out just fine to my surprise. I found a similar thread of a guy that was chasing electrical demons similar to mine and someone suggested that it may be clutch sensor or nuetral safety switch and out of curiosity I went out and put my junction box, starter relay, and CDI back on, kick it hard into first, back into neutral, hard into first, and back intro neutral and it fired right up like it should. Could a faulty neutral safety switch cause the bike to foul out after its already on even if you’re riding down the road in gear?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Any of the safety switches could cause a problem. Clean them all with contact cleaner and check connections. It could also be something coming loose/moving whilst you are traveling. Make sure you check the battery connections and that all earthing points are clean and secured. I know you have checked the cap vent, but make sure all other vent tubes are clear and not kinked as this will also cause a fuel supply problem. Re-check all the fuel pump connections also, just in case one has worked its way loose when you put the new fuel pump on..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any of the safety switches could cause a problem. Clean them all with contact cleaner and check connections. It could also be something coming loose/moving whilst you are traveling. Make sure you check the battery connections and that all earthing points are clean and secured. I know you have checked the cap vent, but make sure all other vent tubes are clear and not kinked as this will also cause a fuel supply problem. Re-check all the fuel pump connections also, just in case one has worked its way loose when you put the new fuel pump on..
The only thing that fools me about the sensors is that when it dies on the road the bike still tries to turn over the starter never doesn’t work that’s the weird part. I will clean vents again see what happens. Gonna get some contact cleaner and clean all the sensors and see what happens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts