Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work in a business casual environment, and have wanted to ride to work, but my problem is wrinkled clothes. Throwing a shirt in my backpack doesn't work cause it always get's wrinkled. And when I wear the shirt on the ride, and the backpack especially contributes to wrinkling. I've heard guys talk about riding to work in more formal atmosphere, so it seems like it can be done, but I haven't figured out how in the world to do it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
From what I've heard, you should invest in a tank bag, or ride with your attire on and use the tank pad for whatever else you need to carry, so you don't have a backpack wrinkling your shirt and whatnot.

·
Powerhungry
38,203 Posts
mini ironing board, and iron at work?
how far is the commute?
maybe the backapck is too small? or too soft?
maybe a hard case?

i use a laptop bag, its fairly rigid. i could fold a shirt, and it would stay flat. but a regular backpack, itd get bunched up.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have an REI day pack, The back is pretty rigid. The commute is only about 15-20 minutes. Nothing is too far away when you're in Eugene.

A tank bag might not be a bad idea. I normally throw my dress shoes and lunch in the backpack.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Umm....maybe shirts that don't wrinkle...they do exist.

I ride with a backpack and dont really notice my shirts being really wrinkled after, even the ones that aren't wrinkle free.
-Cody

·
Registered
63 Posts
Tank bag would be a good idea

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Maybe change into your work shoes, shirts and pants at work, driving them in and out with a car on rainy days.

Some more ideas:

Carrying a business suit

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I've heard people say Iron your clothes then roll then up, it suppose to help keep the wrinkles out or those sealed Vaccum bags! Another idea, that my wife does is store extra clothes at work if you can.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I ride year round here in MD. Invest in good tank bag. Press your clothes the night before and use water, not spray starch. Fold on the creases on your shirt and pants. Roll your belt and tie in your dress shoes. I also keep static spray at my office and a dryer sheet in my bags so my clothes don't smell like exhaust. Plus, leave 10-15 earlier so you can change and get your morning coffee. Most folks never know I rode in unless they saw me head into the gym or head.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I work in a business casual environment, and have wanted to ride to work, but my problem is wrinkled clothes. Throwing a shirt in my backpack doesn't work cause it always get's wrinkled. And when I wear the shirt on the ride, and the backpack especially contributes to wrinkling. I've heard guys talk about riding to work in more formal atmosphere, so it seems like it can be done, but I haven't figured out how in the world to do it.
drive your car at least one day per week. take 4 more shirts/pants with you that day. leave them there. ride the other 4 days and change there. keep shoes and stuff at your desk so you can commute in your boots...

s3aturnr

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Who cares if your stuff is a little wrinkly? As long as they aren't wet the wrinkles fall out in a little bit anyways. Are you having lunch meetings with high powered lawyers decided the future of the free countries?

I worked a desk job for quite a while where I'd carefully roll a shirt and pair of pants and place them in my backpack. If there was a wrinkle or two no one ever complained to me. Also you said business CASUAL. Casual clothes don't have creases.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Business casual = slacks, dress shirt and tie.

I'll try some of the above suggestions. Taking my car one day a week might be the best idea. I may try a couple methods of putting all the clothes in my backpack. I don't really feel like investing in a good tank bag after just buying a $100 backpack.

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
Keeping clothes at work is a good idea. I too would suggest a tank bag. I have an inexpensive Cargo expandable tank bag that will hold my lunch, my collared shirt, rain cover, hat, and rain gloves. It keeps my shirt pretty nice since the bag is in a rectangular shape. I think it was $50 new.

·
Registered
132 Posts
drive your car at least one day per week. take 4 more shirts/pants with you that day. leave them there. ride the other 4 days and change there. keep shoes and stuff at your desk so you can commute in your boots...

s3aturnr
what he said ^

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have to wear a pressed uniform to work, and I don't have any issues. On my first day, I'll wear my badge and all of the different crap I have to wear on my shirt underneath my jacket, and when I get to work it isn't wrinkly. I have even folded it and put it in my bookbag before and have gotten to work without it being wrinkled. If by business casual, you mean you have to wear a button down, or button down with a tie, I'd just fold it nicely and put it in a book bag, then put it on before you go into work. Also, keep a bottle of that Downey wrinkle-release stuff at work...a few sprays and a few tugs and most wrinkles are gone. Plus, you don't have to wear cologne to work then, as the Downey sprays smells purrty.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
When necessary I ride in a formal business suit with textile riding gear over the top. No problems with wrinkling or anything else. The riding gear is necessary to keep the business suit dry in the UK as well as for protection. The gear goes in the top box except for the jacket, which is easily put away, and the boots which are replaced with dress shoes on arrival.

If I had to spend 10 minutes changing at each end the time saving would be wiped out and I'd use the car to save the hassle.

One thing with the UK now though - ties are reserved only for the most formal meetings, and even then an open necked shirt is usually acceptable.

Rob

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
cool tank bag i use is the joe rocket manta bag....it was 50bucks (well spent) and allows me to carry things w/o a backpack, it maybe a tad small for what your trying to do.

·
Registered
941 Posts
The job I used to have required business casual (dress pants and dress shirt). I didn't really have a problem with wrinkles in my backpack, I made sure when I folded them to fold them pretty flat. However, I did begin to just leave my work clothes at work and just change when I got there. Once they got dirty just bring them home after work and wash them. :dunno:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts