Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i'm in the mist of buying a new bike. I'm a new rider, and honestly the most i've done is ride in the back when i was little, and sit on and rev my friends bike. I'd prefer to get a used bike, but kawasaki's financing promotion now is too good to pass up, and looking at the rates from other places, the difference between used and new isn't that much from just interest rates alone. Now, i'm a short dude... 5'3", and I want to be flat footed. I know some of you all will say tip toes are fine, but I know i won't be comfortable unless i can get my feet flat on. I was orginally looking at the zx6e, which sits real low, and i got half my feet flat on when standing it up. I could shave the seat, and it shouldn't be hard to get flat footed on it. But now lately, i've been looking at the 03' 6r's and dude, they're so fucking tight, you all are lucky mofo's. I sat on one the other day... can barely reach my toes to the ground trying to stand it up. I read in a post that you can shave about 2" out of the seat, and while a lot of people are against lowering it with lowering links, and lowering the front yolk down, how bad does that truly make the handling? Say I can shave the seat 2", lower the bike with the lower links another 1"-2", drop the front to match, and soften up the shock level to accomodate the drop. How will it handle? I'm not doing any hardcore racing on tracks or anything. I just want something to cruise on, have fun, and the bike's so fucking sexy. What do you all think? I'm new to the bike world, so i'm open to anything. Thanks, Dave.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry if i forgot the point, but do you all think i should stick with going with the zx6e, or should i shoot for the zx6r? I'm a new rider, but as often as it's said by everyone, i have a high learning curve. Plus i'll keep my best not to abuse the power (i'm gonna keep a picture of a bad crash in the windshield to give me a voice of reason). The zx6e would be easier to learn, but then say a year down the line, do you think i'd outgrow it and want something new? I'd hate to get a new bike, sell it after a year, and buy another bike which wasn't that much more in cost in the first place.

·
Registered
695 Posts
If you are trying to choose between the E and the R, go with the R. You'll be glad you did later on down the road.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
get the 6r. shave your seat, buy thick boots(polo) and pull the forks about 1/2 inch. most guys arent flat footed on both sides. at stops i can have one foot flat on the ground and the other covering the brake pedal.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I had an E that I traded in. I wouldn't have traded the E in if I didn't like the R better. I've seen little fine ass women ride Rs, you should be able to handle it.:)

-Ben

·
Registered
558 Posts
haha i can sit on my tank half flat footed...dude just tip toe it i got a buddies bout' your size that rocks a gixxer 6...if that's the bike that you really want that's a sacrifice your gonna have to make.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the info guys. I think i'll make the compromise and shave the seat, and if i have to get some dog bones afterwards. It's like trying to date Brittney Spears... if i can't have her, i'll compromise and date her cousin's friend's sister.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I have a better idea. Why don't you start on something a bit smaller than a ZX6R or a ZX6E as your first bike. Some poor sap just went through this same dilemma on the Cycleworl Forums. All he loser squid friends told him he should start out on at least a 600SS bike, so he bought himself a blue 636. Well, after a week, and just under 500 miles, he realised it was a bad idea after nearly killing himself several times over.

He finally listened to reason, and bought a '03 Ninja 500 after his dad bought the 636 from him. After another month, he's put some 1500 miles on the 500, and has been saying how much easier it is to ride the 500 safely than it is to ride the 636. He's now trying to unload the 636 with 750 miles on it.

He really wishes he could have the smoothness of the power of the 636, plus the brakes from the 636 on a bike the size and weight of the 500, with the same amount of power as the 500. He says the riding position of the 636 made him feel much more exposed to danger than the 500 made him feel.

So think about what you should start out on as a first bike. You can buy a beater bike, learn how to ride safely, and then move up to the bike you really want. Or, you can buy the 636 or 6E now, drop it a bunch of times, wreck it into a guard rail, and lose all your money, plus wind up in the hospital with massive injuries because you bought a bike that isn't newbie friendly just cause it looks nice(r).

BC.

·
Registered
81 Posts
heres a spin on things guys... my SISTER started out on a 97 GSXR 750... sure she dropped it a handful of times.. coz shes too damn short to flat foot.. (shes 5'3 also for the record) but thats what frame sliders are for... her husband bought it for both of them christmas lastyear.. she owns an 02 telefonica now, she loves it to death.. but she will drop that bike too... in time and she will cry when it happens... the bottom line is.. you gotta take what comes with whatever u get.. when bro in law bought the 97 he knew it would be dropped... coz well hes only about 2 inches taller than her lol... but they both learned to ride on it.. which is whats important... now that shes a bit more experienced (altho still truely a noobie with only about 8 months riding under her belt) she feels more confident on her telefonica. riding with her on the 97 coming to stops she was always nervous heh coz she dumped it at a few stop lights and i had to lift it back up for her... but other than that.. given the fact that she never really rode before except my lil honda 50cc almost 20 years ago lol... never a street bike tho... all together im impressed with how far shes come in the short time shes ridden.. she can keep up pretty good thru the twisties... certainly not the head of the pack but she holds her own among the boys and even smokes a few of em heh... bottom line is get what u really want and grow with it... but respect it... everyones different.. some ppl will get on a bike the first time and respect it til u learn it others will get on a busa and see what happens when they snap the throttle in first to see if it has the snap like their R6... LOL be one with your bike.. connect with it feel it and listen to it (she will talk to you =D )and always ride within your limits... test ride all the bikes your thinking of buying and by the time your done you will have made your decision... hope somewhere in my senseless rambling you found some kinda help or advice =) lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.