Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just interested to know who on the board has dirt experience;
-Did you start on dirt bikes or road riding
-Has dirt riding improved your road riding skills and how?
-Which type of riding do you prefer?

I started off road riding on a Suzuki Across, then up to a 636. I had my first dirt ride yesterday on a CR250. Wow what a different game! It definitely feels more dangerous than road riding. I cheated death several times i think[:p]. Several near misses. I havent been game enough to stick my foot out and slide the rear around a corner yet, still getting a feel for things. Dont wanna die too young. :D
Well lets hear it...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Starte off on road thenspent quite a few years doing both. Dirt riding is the best way I know to improve your bike handling skills and it's lots of fun.

I prefer both :D

·
Registered
605 Posts
I started out riding dirt as a kid and have owned birt bikes and dual sports. I think it definately helped my street riding.

Rode an older CR500 a couple weeks ago. That thing is a beast. I feel more comfortable on my street bike.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I got my first Dirt bike back in Nov 89 83 RM80, was racing them until Sept 98 when I sold my 97Cr250 & just recently about a month ago got a 98 Cr250. I think it definitely helps having dirtbike experience as well it improves my throttle control etc. Having the bike slide around on the road doesn't concern me too much as having the dirt bike thats how you turn alot of the time, as well I think it has helpede improve my wheelstands no end, I could always do good wheelies on dirtbikes & now I have one again I have been getting the balance, throttle control sorted & I have no dramas doing a 90kph-180kph wheelie on the 636 now which I think is cool as catshit. The aggression from dirtbikes also helps i think.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I started off on dirtbikes too, but I don't consider them to be more dangerous than riding street. If you wreck on a dirtbike, there's no chance a car will run over your ass, plus the dirt is a little softer than blacktop or concrete when you wipe out. A dirtbike also won't cost you $3,000 to fix after you lay it over. Just straighten the handlbars and away you go:D

·
Registered
340 Posts
dirt track riding is fun when you have places to ride. don't get me wrong but when your jumping doubles and clearing tabletops its the best thing. i own a yamaha raptor 660, i'd thought about selling it but everytime i get on a track or take it drag racing i quickly change my mind. i'll post pics later

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.