Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I finally have enough money to get a motorcycle and I have my sight set on two of them. The Ninja 250 (duh its sexy and awesome.) or a DRZ 200 dual sport. I don't plan on going off roading much and will mainly use my bike to ride around to my friends houses and college. I live in a rural community so people are about 15 miles apart from each other. The only reason I would pick a DRZ 200 is the fact that I live down a dirt road :( Will the ninja be able to make it up and down no problem? its about 1/2 mile long not to steep but a little hilly there are a few bumps and lose gravel, being a new rider I don't want to take that many risks (I know i'll have to take a few.) I consider myself a really safe driver, but im new with motorcycles. Maybe Ill keep the Ninja at my friends house if i get one. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Hello, I finally have enough money to get a motorcycle and I have my sight set on two of them. The Ninja 250 (duh its sexy and awesome.) or a DRZ 200 dual sport. I don't plan on going off roading much and will mainly use my bike to ride around to my friends houses and college. I live in a rural community so people are about 15 miles apart from each other. The only reason I would pick a DRZ 200 is the fact that I live down a dirt road :( Will the ninja be able to make it up and down no problem? its about 1/2 mile long not to steep but a little hilly there are a few bumps and lose gravel, being a new rider I don't want to take that many risks (I know i'll have to take a few.) I consider myself a really safe driver, but im new with motorcycles. Maybe Ill keep the Ninja at my friends house if i get one. What do you guys think?
With an in-control rider taking it easy it'll make it. Can't say without knowing your road how it'll fair when it's wet out though.

·
Powerhungry
38,875 Posts
id say either bike wouldnt be too bad on a dirt/gravel road.

i shouldnt say this but....
we ran a gravel road once(was freshly tarred, overlayed with gravel) me and a buddy were "racing" ended up doing around 50-55ish.
straight section only.
everyone thought we were fuckin nuts:D

it wasnt too bad.
if you are careful, it shouldnt be a problem. the 250 will handle the dirt roads a hell of alot easier then the SS bikes.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Shit man, I run 2.5 miles one way of gravel everytime I take the bike out, same type of situation as yours.
It's not bad at all really. Keep a loose grip on the bars, especially if it's freshly graded. The bike will move around, but unless you're doing 2 mph it will always try to stay upright. Just relax on it, don't tense up and try to death grip the bars to hold it straight. Kinda seems backwards but trust me.

Biggest issue you will run into is sand and gravel collecting in the bottom of the plastics and rocks smacking off the radiator if you go too fast. Buy a rad protector(or make one) and know that the bike will always be dirtier than most. And if you have to ride after it just rained, be prepared to have to wash the bike, cause it will get REAL dirty.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
Yea Warbuk, these RR's don't mind flying on the gravel at all if you want to eh! Mine has only seen grass though when I pull up on the lawn to wash it, or blow corners at the track:D
haha, i hear ya man. i kinda wish mine hasn't but living in the country ya know, brings it's challenges :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.