Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How in the hell can i get dirt out of the headlight assy??? My boyfriend suggested washing them but I am not sure that is safe...what would you guys recommend?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
take the bulbs and rubber boots off the back. get an air chuck and blow out the majority of the dust and shit. id say just wash it out with water, blow it out and set it in front of a warm vent to help evaporate the water. hopefully you wont get water spots inside the lens...maybe using distilled water will work??

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
I haven't played with mine but if you bake them in an oven @ 150-200F for a couple of hours the glue should soften enough to remove the back from the lenses and then you can clean them up real nice. reheat them up for a few more hours till the glue is softened back up and reassemble them. Or you just live with them dirty.

check ebay for a another set...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
prob solved but may have water spots...due to my boyfriend.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
haha-try rubbing alcohol! pour some in, pour it out and let it dry-it shouldnt leave any spots...well im pretty damn sure anyways

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:) thanks for your help...you guys are great...might need your advice when installing gps later...give me a month

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
gps- 12 volt plug goes to a fused battery source-then make a bracket and drill 2-3 holes for suction cups to fit through. now bend the metal back about 70-80 degrees and put velcro on the gps and homemade bracket-suction cups stick to the tank whereever...just a quicky job-wont look bling or anything...just make sure the gps unit isnt real heavy...or just dont hit bumps real hard

·
Registered
512 Posts
supa ninja, i love your post, put it in the oven for a few hours at that temp, wont do you any good, you will melt those headlights, what you mean is a few mins, right???

im just messing but seriously its only for a few mins, not a few hours

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
seriously guys-plastic housings...ovens are bad. go out and spend some money on a heatgun and some foil. tape the foil on the plastic-now heat the glass. you dont want to pry at the edges-if it chips, you can actually see it at the lens...so do it in the center (top and bottom) apply heat evenly and BE GENTLE!

but seriously-your headlights will practically need mud inside for you to want to take the lens off just to clean...water will work just fine in most cases

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
dude it won't mettle it at that temp
when i was living in the desert we'd have 127F temps and parked on asphault in the sun it gets even hotter. you need to melt the glue.

450 would mettle that sucker though

·
Registered
512 Posts
ok it would be easier and safer just to do the 300 - 350 for a few mins, like when you do a projector retro or halo install, ive done several of each. It just seems easier and safer or just bust out the heat gun or blow drier and do that. I understand melting the need to melt the glue. To each their own though.

I have used both methods to take headlights apart, you just need to be careful and take your time

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
i didnt mean it to sound like-for sure, itll melt the housing...(but you have to admit-if youre just going for a clean housing)...its not exactly a risk worth taking

unless youre doing the projector conversion and youre comfortable with doing it...which im not-id just rather have complete control over it all and take my time with a heatgun

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
i do what gsxr said.. i don't like to wait or leave shit unattended. 25-300 for maybe 15 minutes.. pry easily at first wit a flat screwdriver.. once you break 1/8" or so, you can pretty much pull it the rest of the way apart with little trouble and no tools.. maybe a knife to cut the sealant as you go.

afterwards, i put it back in the oven and reseal it that way.. remove, compress the housing, and you're golden.

as far as cleaning while they're still together, i'll make a ball out of cloth and tape it to a screwdriver and wipe the insides down.. i'll use a very soft polishing cloth on the reflector and just beng my gangly fingers thru the hole to wipe down the reflectors and pull off any baked-on crap ond remove oxidation from the chrome plating.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts