Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is it about supersports that make them have so much more horsepower than that of a similar displacement bike that has lower horsepower? and is there a way to tune a sport bike that isnt a ss to make it quicker and faster? I already hhave full aftermarket exhaust and air filter. Thanks in advance! i dont know why im posting in the zx6r forum but i figured id give it a shot

·
Registered
49 Posts
basically asking why (for example) an er6 aint as powerful as a zx6, even though theyre ~600cc?

am no expert, but typically higher rev limit, bigger air box, higher compression, and cam/timing wizardry - oft resulting in less comparable low/midrange in favour of higher top end - to name a few

Some bikes are specifically built to have better low/midrange on purpose, as makes them more tractable around town / lower speeds. For example, the street triple and daytona 675 engines are pretty much exactly the same bar the camshafts (and pistons, and maybe liners afaik), to give the Street more low/mid compared to the Daytona - sacrificing about 20-30hp at the top end.

Others are just built to a tighter budget, resulting in looser machining tolerances, and engines that cant take as much stress (oft resulting in lower rpm and compression - to be on the safe side) - the pistons and liners in the Street Triple above I believe (it has a lower max rpm vs the Dayt)

reckon alot easier, and cheaper to just get a bike designed at X hp, then trying to eek out more and more performance, from bike Y. Suppose technically, you could run the risk of overwhelming other componenets then (chassis, suspension, brakes etc)

But full aftermarket exhaust, performance air filter, and getting it set up on a dyno (via powercommander/bazzaz etc), are good steps alright - and you'll get the biggest gains per $/£/euro

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much, this does answer my question! my bike is already pretty quick, but maybe a could try a dyno tune just for a little extra!

·
Registered
49 Posts
cool yea, it can help with power delivery, and clean up any flat spots in your fueling - and should get you the most out of your exhaust + air filter.

an option if you just want to feel faster, is playing with the final drive ratio (going -1 in the front sprocket, or +2 in the rear etc) - you can tweak it to give more acceleration at the cost of top speed, or vice versa. You're not adding any ponies, just changing the way the ones you have are delivered :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts