Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
AKA "White Dynamite"
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DIY CHAIN RIVET TOOL

All you need is cheap pipe flaring tool, and a C-clamp...

Now, turn the screw in each tool counter clockwise until the adapters pop off.......

Now, take the adapter from the flaring tool and install it onto the C-clamp. If it doesnt fit right (or at all) dont worry, it doesnt have to stick to the screw.....

Now you can rivet your chain links..........

I hope this helps someone as broke as I am. :lol:

Yes, my bike is nasty. :eek:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Great idea, I think most of us already have both those tools. I didn't want to spend the $100 on a riveting tool back when I powdercoated all the parts on my CBR600RR so I used a die grinder to remove the rivets then replaced the chain link with an RK clip style chain link. They are still pretty reliable and are also reusable but now that you've shown us how to use the C clamp I think it's worth always installing a rivet style chain link.

·
AKA "White Dynamite"
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1/2 drive air wrench, and make sure you have plenty of air pressure built up in your compressor. :D

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
1/2 drive air wrench, and make sure you have plenty of air pressure built up in your compressor. :D
tried 2 different impact guns, big ass breaker bar, heat, reverse threading....nothing would break the thing loose. yes i bent back the safety washer or whatever it is.

·
AKA "White Dynamite"
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any idea what kind of torque the impact wrench makes? What psi were you running them with? Drive sprockets are a bitch............

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Any idea what kind of torque the impact wrench makes? What psi were you running them with? Drive sprockets are a bitch............
not sure about one but i think it was the more powerful of the 2. on was a craftsman rated to 90 psi but not sure of the fl/lbs, the compressor was putting out more than 90 psi at one point and still nothing. would it make a difference if i wasn't using an actual impact socket with the gun??

·
AKA "White Dynamite"
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The socket wouldnt make any difference, except that an impact socket is made to stand the abuse of continuous high torque impact. I think your gonna need a gun with a higher torque rating..................

·
Powerhungry
37,708 Posts
The socket wouldnt make any difference, expect that an impact socket is made to stand the abuse of continuous high torque impact. I think your gonna need a gun with a higher torque rating..................
actually, the socket can make a difference. i see it all the time.

use an impact socket. since usually they are thicker/heavier. and use the shortest one that will fit completely over the nut. and make sure its the right size. a tiny bit big, might work, in theory. but you lose a lot of strength with it rattling around on the nut.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
actually, the socket can make a difference. i see it all the time.

use an impact socket. since usually they are thicker/heavier. and use the shortest one that will fit completely over the nut. and make sure its the right size. a tiny bit big, might work, in theory. but you lose a lot of strength with it rattling around on the nut.
hmmm...maybe i'll have to give it another try this weekend before i give up and take it to the dealer. really sucks though cuz i wanted to do it myself.

·
AKA "White Dynamite"
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
while this is a great idea.
ive got a question. how do you set the pin depth?
on my rivet tool, theres a small recessed area, tha lets the pin go back so far, then stops it. keeping it flush with the rest.

how did yours look when you were done?
Sorry dude, I just now saw this question as I scanned back over this thread. :eek:

My new chain came with shims that you place above the o-rings to keep the link plates properly spaced. I'll post pics later for those who want to see them...........

·
Registered
11,326 Posts
Will this work on an EK chain with the pin rivets? They say to use their special tool, but thats at least $50 i dont want to spend.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts