AKA "White Dynamite"
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
It really doesnt take much to get the pins to flair. :dunno:

At least mine didnt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I found this thread 10 minutes before buying that tool. Thanks. The last time i replaced my chain on my f4i I paid this moto mechanic to come over and use the tool for $10. Found him on craigslist.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
thanks will probably be using this very soon when i put the chain on i got gotta see if i have these laying around in my dads garage. I know i dont have the pipe flaring tool.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Its an old thread, But I need help. My pins are stuck at 3/4s the way in.
Will not move any farther. Iv even broken my EMGO riveting tool!
Iv used this tool on 7-8 chains now. This is the first time Iv had this problem.

The C-clamp is good for flaring the pins, once in. But I cant get em in.
Or out for that matter. Did I mention my tool is broken.

Can anyone HELP.
short of buying a new tool, I don't know what to do.????

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
For the master link pins stuck 3/4 of the way in- I would jam two flathead screwdrivers into the space, and use them as levers to get the master link back out; then look in the holes to see if you can see a metal defect inside. Then use a drill bit smaller than the holes or a narrow dremel grinding attachment, to ream one or both holes a little bigger on the side that is sticking, and some fine sandpaper on any bumps found on the master link pins, rotating the sandpaper with a twisting thumb and one finger motion the way that the chain moves. Put some chain oil on the master link pins before trying to get them back on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
DIY CHAIN RIVET TOOL

All you need is cheap pipe flaring tool, and a C-clamp...

Hi Guys,

Ken from HomemadeTools.net here. We appreciate the creativity and ingenious solutions found everywhere builders of homemade tools congregate.

Great riveting tool. If I hadn't already bought a commercial unit, I'd be making one of these. I've been putting off changing one of my chains and really ought to do it this weekend...

Added to our database (always with full credit and linked to the original post) here: Homemade Chain Riveting Tool

Ken

21 - 40 of 40 Posts