Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Ninja 650 ABS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone!

I know there has been some discussion about this before and I'm not looking to start any debates about the legality of running LED headlights on the highway or anything like that. I wanted to post a DIY for what I just found with my 2019 650 abs. I just got the bike and wanted to upgrade the high beam/ low beams to LEDs but ran into the same issue everyone seems to have, which is fitting an aftermarket LED bulb behind the factory dust cover on the back of the headlight. Then comes the decisions, do I cut it or find different bulbs? (I really didn't want to cut the covers on my brand new bike). It took 2 attempts from amazon but I found bulbs that work that do not require modifications in any way, it just required some thought. The procedure to change them is as follows.

H7 LED Bulbs
Helpful Video (not my video)

1. I started with the low beam so I turned the handle bars all the way right to give myself ample room to reach down and twist the plastic dust cover to reveal the stock H7 bulbs.
2. Remove the stock bulb by unhooking the electrical wiring to the bulb (just pull it off) followed releasing the clip that keeps the bulb in place. The bulb is now free and able to come out (don't touch the glass with your fingers if you plan to keep it)
3. Take the new LED bulb and remove the mounting plate (sorry no pics but its the round part that has a rectangular key to make it go in straight) watch the video Below to see what I'm talking about. NOW HERE IS THE KEY TO MAKING THIS FIT without any mods. Pay attention to the direction you take this off and when you go to place it in the light housing REVERSE it so the that longer sleeve part is going into the light.
4. Re-attach the retaining clip to the mounting plate (before you put the led bulb in)
5. Place the LED bulb in the mounting plate, at this point because the plate is in backwards the bulb will not be able to turn and "latch" like it normally would. I'll explain how it stays later in the steps.
6. Reattach the power to the bulb (I didn't use the short jumpers provided in the LED package because the factory harness fit perfect).
7. At this point I turned the ignition on and cranked the bike to get the lights to kick on to verify the wiring is good and not reversed (the bulb isn't labeled)
8. Place the dust cover back on being careful to make sure the wires are not behind the led bulb because there is no room for them there. Press gently inward on the led bulb with the plastic dust cover and it will go right into place and then give it the final twist to secure the dust cover into place. The dust cover puts just enough pressure to keep the LED securely in its place.

Now repeat this on the other bulb if you wish to do so. This all took a matter of 15 minutes to accomplish! The bulbs do end up at a slightly off vertical direction but the beams reflect perfectly out in front of the bike.

THAT's ALL!!! Like I said the key is to flip that mounting plate around and let the dust cover press and hold the bulb into place. Also keep those wires out from behind the bulb when you mount the dust cover back on.

I can't speak to the longevity of these bulbs because I just did this install tonight but I was very excited it fit because I thought I was out of luck with upgrading the lights. Also I'm hoping that the LED fans being behind the cover will not cause them to over heat but I'll find out in time. As a side note, I don't do a lot of night riding anyway, this was mostly for the looks. I didn't even get to go for a ride yet but from my garage they seem to be much brighter then stock and they have the nice 6000k blueish tint that I was looking for.
The finished product:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll try to take more pics if anyone is interested in this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont have a ‘19 but if I did I’d be having a crack at this for sure. Thanks for posting
Thanks! It should be the same for any bike 2017-2020, I think 2017 was when they started using the hard plastic covers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts