Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

DIY paint job question?

9K views 51 replies 17 participants last post by  criswolks 
#1 ·
Hi guys

This has probably been asked many times before, but I don't want to mess this up.

I received some OEM plastic bits for my bike, but it's in that dodgy metallic Ford Sierra(that's what I compare it to) green. Unfortunately, we can only get the OEM parts in that colour (well, that's what the dealer says).

I'd like to give them a diy makeover with some spray cans, but I want to do a descent job...obviously.

Can anyone give some directions with regard to the whole process i.e how to prep the already painted surface, which sand paper to use, how many layers of primer, colour and clear coat etc etc?

Thanks very much

Cheers

#42 ·
i'm glad you chimed in, chuck. maybe the problem with the paint on my wheels are the shitty wheels you sold me...

[Edit]:<kidding...for those of you who don't know that chuck and i pitted together at the track this past weekend>

#47 · (Edited)
Oh and one final thing, I'll be happy to take those wheels back. I'm regretting not having a spare set now so I can just leave them to get tires swapped...

Of course, you're going to have to take a hit for that ghetto ass paint job you did on them. :D

tree fiddy bish!

you don't want these things back. i swear you sold me wheels made of lead. that's why you're faster than i am...lighter wheels

...and say what you want but we both know you love my special edition paint job. you may be faster than me on the track but at least i look cooler doing it! that's what it's all about - who cares about lap times anyway? pff

[Edit]: I DID scuff and prime the wheels. it's just shitty paint. I don't have this problem with my r6 wheels. I used single stage automotive paint on them. they get dirty (they're yellow) but not the same kind of dirty. for the track, who really cares. if you want something nice for the street, i'd stay away from rattlecan shit unless you buy a product specifically for wheels. i think duplicolor makes a couple of products (but your colors are limited) and you could try some caliper paint too (same issue)

#49 ·
cool, post pics.

from what i learned, after wet sanding, you use rubbing compound, then polishing compound, then wax. that was my plan for my trackbike but then i saw how long it would take and said "fuhk that!"

good luck.

#51 ·
I am going to give my 2 cents Cause I have been painting bikes cars planes and boats for 30 years. I can tell you the ONLY reasons you rattle can a object is 1 you dont care about it, or 2 You have nt used a spray gun and REAL quality paint. People who are industrius enogh to want to paint there own vehicles obviously paint more than JUST 1 thing. Really think about it. And if you do infact paint more than one thing than you will already save money over the cheap POJ object you wasted your time and money on. Whats that? Time is not money to you? Ok tune out it is to most people I know. You will always have paint left over for other projects IE helmets nicked up lower panels or what ever. I like all the other advice people have been giving, but will add this. You can NOT expect a great looking paint job without a lot of sanding. I dont care if your name is Piacaso you cant spray and walk away! When it comes to paint there really are no secrets, its just a lot of work. And if you want it done yesterday. Pay someone else cause there is no room for impatience.

#52 ·
Does anyone have any experience with these? I recently bought a new house that needs the entire interior painting, including cabinets and molding. I was thinking of getting a sprayer to save time and they supposedly have a cleaner finish than rolling or brush. Please share your experiences and reviews, good, bad or indifferent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.