Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just bought my 2008 ZZR600 (Ebony) with 1100 miles on it a few weeks ago and am in the process of making it perfect to my tastes. I am also new to the forum and wanted to start off on the right foot here by helping anyone I can as I see fit.

First off, my only problem I have seen with the ZZR is that I can not see out the side view mirrors because the only thing I see are my shoulders. I went ahead on eBay and bought some 2006 EX650 mirrors because they are longer (and to me better looking) by impulse and after I bought them I realized...they were from a bike that had been laid down :(

Here I want to show you all how I reconditioned them to "like new." I didn't take photos during the actual procedures but I do have before and afters.

What you will need:
1. 400 grit "Wet or Dry" sand paper from Autozone
2. 2000 or 3000 grit "Wet or Dry" sand paper from Autozone
3. Spray bottle (full of water) and towel
4. Dupli-Color Acrylic Enamel (Glossy Black) from Autozone
5. VHT - Hood, Bumper, & Trim Paint (Flat Black)
6. Painters tape

STEP 1:
1. Use the painters tape to tape up the actual mirror. Be sure to be very particular so that you so not miss anything.

2. Use the painters tape to tape up the whole post.

3. BE SURE TO TAPE REAL WELL AROUND THE JOINT OF THE MIRROR SO THAT IT DOESN'T GET PAINT INSIDE OR ELSE YOUR MIRROR WILL BE STUCK IN ONE POSITION!

STEP 2:

1. Now connect your mirrors to your bike so that you will be able to sand them evenly without having to physically hold them.

2. Use the 400 grit Wet or Dry sand paper to sand them down like a mad man. Don't be afraid to apply a lot of pressure so that you can get the deep scratches out. BE SURE TO SAND EVENLY! If not, you will have flat places on the plastic.

3. After you have all the scratches out, your side mirror should be a white-ish color because the plastic is raw.

STEP 3:

1. Using the spray bottle, spray the plastic side AND the 2000 or 3000 grit sand paper so they are wet.

2. Again, sand the mirror so that it become very smooth. Look at your other mirror and try and make the surface the same look and texture.

3. Apply water to both mirror and sand paper as needed.

4. Dry the surface of the mirror and get it ready for painting.

STEP 4:

1. Remove the mirrors from the bike and lay them face down. One at a time, use the GLOSS black spray paint and spray LIGHT and EVEN coats. Do about three (3) coats of paint. Be sure they are LIGHT or else the paint will run.

2. After you complete three coats, use the FLAT black to apply three coats. You might need four or five if it looks uneven.

STEP 5:

1. Let dry

2. DONE!

Before:

AFTER:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts