Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, not ONLY DJ, but since he seems to be the forum authority on Akrapovic exhausts, his advice is certainly welcome. After doing much research and deciding between whether or not to put a bolt-on or full system on my 01 929, I finally decided to buy a bot-on. Then I had the ever tedious task of deciding what brand to buy. While searching around, I came across this website:

http://www.hardracing.com/Exhaust Systems/Akrapovic.htm

Now I haven't found any Akrapovic bolt-ons that would be what I consider to be a cheap price, but this website is offering a FREE PCIIIr with the purchase of an Akra full system. The bolt-on is roughly $500 USD, and the full system is damn near $1500 USD, but I'll get a PCIIIr for FREE.

So, DJ and anyone else who cares to respond, my question is, do you think this is a good enough deal to shell out 1500 bones for, or should I get the bolt-on? I went to Akrapovic's website and checked some of their dyno numbers for my bike with a full Akra system.....141 horsepower!!!!!!!!!!!! That's pretty damned impressive, but I don't think that includes the PCIIIr map. What to do? I swore I wouldn't spend any more than $300 on a bolt-on for my bike, but I want the best quality, and this deal seems too good to just buy a bolt-on($500) and then buy a PCIIIr seperately($400).

·
Registered
534 Posts
141? to the crank? I highly doubt a full system will add 30+HP to the wheel. still..141 to the crank is kinda hard to believe...doable? yes...kinda hard to grasp.[?][B)] or maybe a pressurized air box??

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
30+ hp? (cough)(cough). I guess you missed the part where I said I was looking for an exhaust system for my 929. My Honda CBR 929. I don't have a 636. The 929 puts out around 129hp to the wheel stock.

That would be sweet though, wouldn't it? 30 more horses for $1500 bucks!

·
Registered
364 Posts
i bougth my akra full system from hardracing.com/free puter. they had it to my house in about 4 business days. If money isnt the issue, then i would recommend this system to anyone. It made my RR come alive with mid and topend power. Fit was perfect, welds look oh so sweet, and the pipe is just a great looking pipe to along with the outstanding performance gains. I know your not asking about a 636 or RR model bike, so im just giving my experience that had with that particular .com company and with the AKRA.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've owned 3 Akrapovic systems in the past (all Evo's) and have been very happy with the results. I currently have an Akrapovic on my Ducati and I think it's the best full system out there for Ducs. Having said that, I think the Arata systems are better (especially considering $$), for sure they will flow better (60mm!) and appear to be made just as well as anything Akrapovic has made. My opinion- spend $1360 and get a full Arata system + PC from Dan Kyle. He probably even has a good map for your bike.

Yea, I know Akrapovic supplies every WSBK and most AMA teams with exhausts- but that doesn't mean squat. It is possible that another company can make a system just as good, if not better than someone else for less money. BTW, Termignoni makes the exhausts for Ducati WSBK and GP teams and their systems are crap.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Mike636
929's are fuel injected?
Yep. The '99 CBR 900RR is carbuerated, but the '00-'01 929's are fuel injected. The 929's and 954's are basically a 900 engine that is bored out. That's why Honda came out with a 1000 this year. The 954 engine can't be bored out anymore.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By the way godsdozer, thanks for the reply. I'm a little leary about spending $1500 right now, but I'm glad to know that if I do buy it, it will be worth the money.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Well TommyV, I agree with you that the Hardracing offer for the free PCIII with the full Akrapovic system is indeed a very good one. It appears to me that if you get the Evolution system ($1495 for your 929RR) they'll throw in the free PCIIIr, and if you get the Race system ($1296) you'll get the free PCIIIusb. The Evolution and Race systems as you probably know are the same design, just using different header pipe material (stainless on the Race vs. full ti on the Evo). The "r" version of the powercommander is nice because it also gives you the ignition adjustment feature. Will that make worlds of difference to the average street rider? Likely not.

I think, by the way, when you're quoting 141 hp peak, you're looking at the 2002-2003 Honda CBR954RR, which is definitely up a little on power from the 2000-2001 Honda CBR929RR... correct me if you're looking elsewhere...

Here's the thing. I wish I could tell you or anybody how to spend their money, but really that's something that YOU have to decide. What I'll tell you is that you'll get very different results from the bolt on and the full systems (Race or Evolution). The bolt on will allow a little more airflow and will save you a good chunk of change. It adds roughly 2.9 hp to the peak power, basically mirroring the whole curve right throughout the powerband. Peak goes from 121.9 to 124.8 hp on a 2000 929RR Honda according to the Akrapovic dyno chart posted. The Evolution or Race system on the other hand shows a peak power increase of roughly 7hp, and a much better over-rev to the top end, which means beyond peak the gains are even more significant (about 10hp at 11,500rpm). Whether that extra 4 hp or so at peak and slightly better over-rev over just the bolt on cannister is worth the difference between the bolt-on and full system price is really up to you. It's a fantastic deal to get the PCIII included for free, but not if you're not going to feel afterwards that the gains were worth the money.

The 929RR is a fairly potent bike anyway, maybe not as explosive as the 954RR, but still way up on power from the 600 class. If you think you'll enjoy the benefits of a few extra ponies, one of the sweetest exhaust systems on the market, and a free PCIII then I'd jump on the deal. The PCIII is a great addition because it'll ensure you get good throttle response and crisp acceleration all throughout the powerband. I see on the powercommander site that there is a map available for your bike with the full Akrapovic systems if you're not into having a custom map created...

But if all you're really looking for is a lightweight and high quality cannister that'll add a couple ponies on top and give you that sweet Akrapovic sound, then $1000 in the bank can't be hard to take either. PCIII or not.

Here's a good question for ya... how long do you intend on keeping this bike? If it's for the long haul, I'd be more likely to want to invest in aftermarket goodies than if I was planning on moving it a year or two down the road for a different or newer model. You just plain CAN'T get your money back out of aftermarket parts. So I guess I'm saying to weigh out the pros (the ultimate in light weight, top build quality, a little more potent top end) vs your pocket book and longer term goals...

RRider, I appreciate that Arata systems are also extremely high end (I've often stated comparable to Akrapovic) and in many cases less expensive than Akrapovic. But when you say Arata systems "flow better" and comment on 60mm tubing, are you aware that Evolution systems like the one TommyV is considering also step up to 60mm at the link pipe and entrance to the cannister just as the Arata does? Why is it you figure they "definitely flow better"? I really don't mind discussion of the merits of different systems, I just want to understand the arguments people put forward...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hey DJ. Long time no speak (ok, I mean type!) The Arata is 60mm all the way through the silencer including the exit. I haven't had the chance to measure the exit dia of an Evo like yours, do you have the measurement? Based on my guess of the Evo exit diameter (and to make things interesting), I made the flow statement.:D

5 years ago everyone thought I was nutz for spending the $$ on Akra systems. It seemed you couldn't talk anyone into buying one, I even had difficulty selling my used Akra systems. I find it funny, but now you can't talk people out of buying them! ;) Seriously- up until recently, if you asked me who made the best exhaust systems, no doubt I'd say Akrapovic. I can't honestly say that anymore after seeing Sato and Arata systems, not even figuring $$.

Anyone in AZ with a Akrapovic Evo system on their ZX-6R/6RR???? I'd be happy to have a legit dyno comparison made between it and the Arata, on my bike with a custom map made for each exhaust. I'll even do the all the work removing and re-mounting the systems. That would answer some questions, wouldn't it?

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DJ, thanks for the response. I do plan on keeping the bike for the long haul, as I see no need to "upgrade" from a 929. By the way, the 929 and 954 are very close in horsepower. The only real difference between the two are the price tags.

I appreciate all of your feedback, and will keep you posted if and when I buy and install the system.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
RRider... fair enough. I'm not big on Sato systems, but I've been very impressed with the Arata systems I've looked at.

TommyV, then that makes things interesting. I guess it comes down to how much importance you're gonna put on those four or five extra ponies on top and what your priorities for your money are. Like I said, if you aren't going to feel good enough about the difference between the two when you RIDE the bike to justify the difference in price, I'd just go with the bolt on cannister. If your goal is to make the 929RR as fast as it can be, and own that sweet Evolution system, then you won't beat the deal Hardracing.com is putting up, at least as far as Akrapovic goes. RRider can try to sell you on Arata from here. They'll be close in price with that deal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.