Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys.. I'm just wondering who took the riding test through DMV? what did they tell you to do? just wanna know how hard would it be if I use my bike for that? thanks!

·
Registered
119 Posts
To get your license you need to do a figure around dots/cones followed by two right hand circles, staying in the lines on the ground without putting down your foot. Then you have to travel the right side in a strait line then do the circles and then travel a strait line on the left side back. Kinda hard on a supersport, IMO.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Originally posted by Ernie
It's pretty easy, if it worries you borrow or rent a 250, usually someone has one for rent.
[:+1]

I took my written and then did the riding test same day down in Van Nuys. Took me less than 1 hour to do it all. written test is a snap..just do the practice tests on the DMV website and you have all of the answers.

I was lucky enough to have brought my 1977 CB750 with me at the time (low center of gravity) and sailed through the riding test with ease. I would not recommend trying it on a sport bike. Too high of a center of gravity and hard to control at super slow speeds to stay in the circle.

Borrow someone's old cruiser.

·
Powerhungry
37,845 Posts
seriously tho. these test need to be either updated to accomodate more modern bikes. or have different test depending on the bike being ridden. ive been practicing the test at the local dmv, they have the course painted so u can see what u are supposed to be doing. the cones, yeh no problem. the larger u-turn following the cones, again no problem. the TIGHT u-turn ending the cones run. NO WAY IN HELL not on a sport bike atleast. turning all the way to LOCK and im still about 6 feet short of completing the turn in the box. check ur dmv. see if they have it painted. if so. practice practice practice. theres some plastic cups that we use in place of the cones. the spots are painted. gives a better visual of what u are supposed to be doing

·
Registered
119 Posts
yeah, failed mine. my handlebars were locked to the side, but it can be done if you put it in 2nd gear and feather the back break.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Why not just take the MSF course? You learn a lot and bypass that driven test. As much as I love my bike it has a crappy turning radius. Not to mention I'm not as comfortable in right hand turns as I am in lefties. :D

·
Registered
488 Posts
I've tried weaving through the 10 foot cones that are offset and there is no way in hell I can do it on my bike. Just have to get the time off work to get to an MSF course.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
i took the MSF course here. everybody said is was better than the DMV's, so i went with it. i've been riding for a while, and still found it a pretty good course. we did the weaving around cones, offset cones, sudden braking, swerve/braking, and the tight U turns. i managed the first U turn, but went outside the line on the second one. like everybody else said, it's tough to make that turn on a high center of gravity w/ a limited turning radius, but it IS possible. be sure to lean the opposite way of the turn and it'll make it a LOT easier. the instructors checked to make sure we didn't use our brakes on any part of the turn, so the rear brake idea is out of the question. overall, i would say learn the friction point VERY well on your clutch, and don't be jerky on the gas. point your head in the direction you want to go, the bike will follow. look down and you will screw up the turn. practice practice practice!

·
Powerhungry
37,845 Posts
not sure about everyone else, but here the second tight u-turn CANNOT be done on a sport bike. its just not in the bike capablities. its a very small box they want u to try and turn in. crazy.. but the cones can def be done just take pratice there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Originally posted by nevada
not sure about everyone else, but here the second tight u-turn CANNOT be done on a sport bike. its just not in the bike capablities. its a very small box they want u to try and turn in. crazy.. but the cones can def be done just take pratice there.
05 6r did it no [email protected] my dmv, yes the turn was tight but I still had a few feet to spare

·
Registered
91 Posts
I was under the impression that they supply smaller more (low speed) manuverable bikes for the MSF course tho...and you do not actualy bring your own.

·
Powerhungry
37,845 Posts
Originally posted by dopbaggins

05 6r did it no [email protected] my dmv, yes the turn was tight but I still had a few feet to spare
u may be correct..oops. ive been trying to cut the turn quite a bit shorter than designed. hhmm.. was just looking at the diagram. and yeh i think it wont be too bad after all.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.