Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, im sure this topic has been beaten to death but i hear mixed opinions on the subject and just want some clarification. All i am running is the K&N replacement filter and the M4 gp slip on, but it is definitely running lean. I do not have an ounce of soot on my exhaust either with the stage 1 insert or the stage 2 silencer, they are as clean as a whistle. Obviously i will benefit from the pcv but since i dont have 3 bills laying around i was wondering if its something i can wait on? Then again nothing is too good for my baby and i will get the $300 if its something i should have. I've just always heard its safer to be running rich rather than lean whether its a car, truck, or bike. Thanks for any help guys. im gonna get it eventually, just wondering if i should get it sooner than later.

·
Registered
980 Posts
If your going to get the PC then you should also have it turned. I can tell you that with a slip on (Two Bro's) and no air filter on one of our race bikes the a/f was still nearly perfect still.
Only thing we did was fatten it up and get some more mid range out of it around 6000 rpm
You will probably be fine the way it is, but if you want to sure have the a/f checked on a dyno. Most shops that have a dyno for a few $'s will give you a baseline and print out of how it runs. HP & A/F.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I have only a two brother's slip on. shorty. I had popping on decel. got a Power commander V, and it's now smooth smooth smooth! it pulls evenly through out the rpm range and got an additional 10 hp from the tune. I'm very happy with it. I'd say is was a remarkable difference with the PCV and a good tune, from stock.

you don't 'need' it. but it will make a difference. the key is finding a good tuner in your area.

I got a shorty b/c I wanted to lose the weight of the OEM exhaust and pre cat. and personally I like the shorty. but I know I'm in the minority.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I more or less made this thread: http://www.kawiforums.com/how-tos-faqs/178810-common-questions-long-winded-answers.html

SPECIFICALLY for these questions :D Because yes, it comes up a lot. Long story short: No you don't NEED a PCV, but to realize your engine's potential a DYNO-tuned Power Commander map will do that for you.
lol, thanks vex. i didnt see that thread when searching "power Commander v". Looks very informative, i will check it out.
One last question though...whats the best slip on for the 09? HAHAHA JK! :D

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
:evil6: Ohhhh the things that drive me nuts.

And a quick note on the search feature. It's kind of dumb, but it will not search for words less than 4 characters in length. So if you search for "Power Commander V" it will only search for "Power Commander". People searching for things like "HID" "PCV" "HID for a 6r", etc. won't turn anything up. Drives me batty!

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
:evil6: Ohhhh the things that drive me nuts.

And a quick note on the search feature. It's kind of dumb, but it will not search for words less than 4 characters in length. So if you search for "Power Commander V" it will only search for "Power Commander". People searching for things like "HID" "PCV" "HID for a 6r", etc. won't turn anything up. Drives me batty!
put an asterisk behind it and it will...for example HID* would search for HID

-Cody

Reactions: VeX and 04RDA

·
Registered
3,845 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
If your going to get the PC then you should also have it turned. I can tell you that with a slip on (Two Bro's) and no air filter on one of our race bikes the a/f was still nearly perfect still.
Only thing we did was fatten it up and get some more mid range out of it around 6000 rpm
You will probably be fine the way it is, but if you want to sure have the a/f checked on a dyno. Most shops that have a dyno for a few $'s will give you a baseline and print out of how it runs. HP & A/F.
Is that with a slip on, no filter and no pc that the a/f ration was nearly perfect?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts