Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Do quickshifters shorten life of a transmission?

14K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  huey130 
#1 ·
Ok here goes I have a 06 Kawi 636, w/ a dynojet QS, ignition module and PC3. I know your already thinking yeah its a Kawi so trans is junk already, which is probabaly true, but I had zero probs w/ trans until I put the QS on.
Shifted great for a couple race weekends then the probs came. I did install a Factory pro star shift kit to clean up shifting but it was just a bandaid that fell off.
I installed QS myself and used the intellishift option, my question(s) are do QSers shorten life of trannnys? and should I manually program shift times and forego intellishift? any other tips are greatly appreciated....thanks.

#4 ·
I had a Dynojet quick shifter on my 06 ZX-6RR and never had any problems the tranny. I have seen trannys from other bikes (Suzuki, Yamaha and Kawis) have problems when the QS is not set up correctly. I'd take the bike to a shop that deals with race set up or that has experience with setting up the dyno jet quick shifters. If you are in the Atalanta area, check out Marietta Motorsports http://www.1888fastlap.com/store/customer/home.php they have a ton of experience in setting up race bikes.

#5 · (Edited)
Yes. Any time you don't shift with your clutch you can be wearing your trans. I ran a BPD quick shifter for the first time this year, racing expert class CCS, and my engine is currently in pieces getting a rebuilt transmission. Now from my experience: 1st to 2nd gear shifting are the hardest on your trans so use your clutch, it wears shifting forks quicker so you might want to plan on swapping them before they cause trans problems, the higher the gear the easier on the trans it seems, and check your chain, I streched my chain pretty badly at Road America this year using the QS.

Your trans was probebly on the edge and couldn't take the added stress.

#6 ·
I agree w/ spooner on everything. However, ddk I did take my tranny to Marietta Motorsports and to make a long story short, they charged me for work that was never performed on m y engine cases....they wont be getting anymore of my business.

As far as Qshifters go I used the intellishift mode on setting up my q/s and seemed to shift ok for a while, but I think im gonna play it safe w/ this new tranny and take it off and shift the old fashion way...never had any prob the old way....

Im gonna repair the trans myself so i will include as many pics and tips i can come up w/. The hardest part is determining what parts are bad in the trans, and use the service manual and take your time w/ it.

Will let u know the outcome, thx all

#7 ·
Im gonna repair the trans myself so i will include as many pics and tips i can come up w/. The hardest part is determining what parts are bad in the trans, and use the service manual and take your time w/ it.
If you have questions feel free to ask. This is my second time changing out gears in my transmission myself. If you have all the tools you can easily pull the motor out and split the case one day and put it back in the next. It seems scarey but once you get it out and split its not that hard.

What is your trans doing?

#9 ·
I feel it's a fine line between usage and setup. If you set the sputter time to the shortest possible then it is more likely to wear the gears faster. The more used to shift for higher gears 3+ seems to be less abusive as 1-2 and 2-3. Either way QS shorten the life of your trans, yes if you ride on the street and lightly use your QS you may never have any trouble but if your a drag race or road race and heavily use it then plan to have your trans replaced when your engine is freshened up on off season if it holds out.

When I removed my trans to fix it this time my bike was jumping out of 2nd and 3rd under nuetral or light throttle. All gears and forks were pretty worn so I replaced the whole trans but didn't need to replace everything to fix the trouble. I did so to try and extended the time that my engine would have to be pulled and have the trans replaced again.

#11 ·
I set it up using the Intellishift, basically go thru gears at 8k rpms and hit a few buttons for each gear, maybe somehow that was done wrong. I roadrace w/ it and like it.... but if its gonna shorten the life of something thats alreadt weak I guess its comin off...thx all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.