Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do you listen to music while riding? yes/no why/why not

if so do you use headphones or have speakers on your bike?

Hello fellow riders..

My name is Art,

i am a Industrial Design Engineer, i ride a Black soon to be white 2012 Ninja 250.

I am asking these questions because i would like to see who would be interested in a Motorcycle Audio System kit that i am currently developing specific for the Ninja 250's and 300's.

The kit would include:
*bolt on fiberglass pods housing 2" Full-Range Square Speakers 24W 8 Ohm
*one mini amp 100w 2 channel
*wiring harness
--this kit is straight bolt on, no modification needed.

if you do not mind cutting 2 small holes on your bike, you can upgrade to bigger full range 3'' 100w drivers.

stay posted i will be posting a video of the kit and sound system in action within the next couple days.. if you want you can follow me on instagram @atom24k @_A3Fabrication

Thanks for reading peace!:D

·
Registered
23 Posts
I only commute about 10 miles at a time right now at 55-60 mph. On occasion I'll go for headphones, but usually I just listen to the wind. I'd probably go for the wind anyway over an open air system because I think guys that blast music on bikes are obnoxious. (no disrespect meant to any present that feel and do differently).

Plus, with such a high revving engine and little wind cover on these bikes, I can't imagine sound quality being up to my audiophile tastes.

·
I ♥ Cute Cats!
22,796 Posts
The listening and riding to music thing has 2 functions:
1) To damp outside wind/road noise. This is very detrimental to your hearing so at the least, ear plugs are a wise move at highway speeds.
2) For long commutes instead of simple ear plugs, adding music via an MP3 player helps break up the monotony.

So having a motorcycle mounted stereo system negates point 1 unless you really crank up your music and use ear plugs. Then again everyone around you is hearing the music a lot more than you are which is kind of a dick move. That and to be able to push 100 watts? The stator/rotor setup on 250's output a maximum of ~230 watts. So nearly half of the charging system output would be going to the amp. While you can argue that this is a 'peak' rating for the amp, I would imagine a 100 watt system would have to be cranked all of the way up if you are cruising above 50mph or so with earplugs to be able to hear it.

So I hate to come and shoot holes in your idea, but there's a reason why hardly any bikes have onboard stereos. Bike's like Goldwings (which output a shit-load more electrical power than sport bikes) and have pretty sizeable stereos as well as some higher end Harleys do (then again those guys aren't usually the brightest bulbs and irritating everyone around them is something they shoot for).

·
Registered
1,992 Posts

·
I ♥ Cute Cats!
22,796 Posts
I doubt it. Art lives in the L.A. area (and would GUESS he goes to or graduated from Cal Poly Pomona?). The other guy lives near Chicago. Just highly coincidental :p

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
:eek: wow!! someone beat me to it, hahaaa lol

well i guess all i have to say is there is plenty of pie to go around.
i am used to competition its part of the game.

Me and my bro recently opened up shop of our own after working 8 years as independent contractors doing crazy automotive and motorcycle customization builds for other shops, and i must say being owners of our first business is pretty exciting and a bit less stressful.

This is why i decided to do this project and start making that paper..

i already have the first protoype version of my ninja 250 sound system,
check out my instagram for a better vision of my set up.

@Atom24k Instagram My personal account
250 - Imgur <<<< quick protoype
@_A3Fabrication Instagram Our New Shop account
https://www.facebook.com/A3FABRICATION

i will be posting the final product on sunday, if you would like to own a kit let me know and i will put it together..

The consumer kit will be an exact replica of the prototype casted from a fiberglass mold for faster production.

in the meantime check out this cbr 600 sound build i did awhile back for a costumer at his setup request, this is why i want to start getting into sport-bike sound systems, even though the market might be slim it is still an unsaturated niche..

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
sport bike sound systems....

wha tha fak
buy a cruiser

even if i was dumb enough to want the set up pictured above, i'd be too scared to park the bike anywhere unsecure (public roadways). white boys would be stealing dem LED screenz yo

for $20 you can grab headphones that will plug into your smart phone with a remote to pause/play, skip a track, repeat a track, answer phone calls, use siri...etc what is the point of adding unnecessary weight & valuable items to your bike all so you force bystanders to listen to your musical preference...

·
1,905 Posts
We choose No music, as riding is our escape. No music, ear buds, etc.
Just ear plugs and making miles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts