Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 1999 R1 for sale online, for $5200. It's got 15k miles on it and a bunch of extras. However, there are some scratches on the tail section. The bike went down at a slow speed, and the owner fixed everything but the little bit on the tail section. He said he was trying to avoid a deer at 15mph, and went down in some dirt, and the bike fell on him. The only real problem is that it has Supercorsa race tires on it, so that might be a problem for the wintertime. And regular street riding. Anybody have any experience with race tires on regular streets?

But anyways, he said he'll deliver it to me because he desperately needs to sell it. And I am desperate to buy a bike. I just got back from looking at a ZX7R, but the fork seals were leaking and it was beat. That seems to be a common theme in all of the bikes I'm looking at. So should I buy this bike? I don't give him any cash until I see the bike, so I can't really get ripped off. What do you guys think?

The files were too big to upload, so they're in my Yahoo photo album.

http://f1.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/salparadise85/lst?.dir=/My+Documents&.order=&.view=l&.src=bc&.done=http://f1.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/

And take a look at the panels, one says YZF and one has the R1 with the checkerboard.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Looks like she's been dropped. Those scratches look like the result of a low speed low side. If she rides good then just replace the tail section. You never know, it may be fine. Either way it's a good looking bike.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good looking bike, lotsa miles though, I do not know if that is as big a deal with motorcycles, But what about this. Yamaha is hitting the floor(no punn intended) with a new R1 in 04, would that not drop the prices on the bikes out there? So witht that in mind could you not wait a few months till their new bike hits the showroom and find a newer one with less miles for possibly the same price as the older one now? Food for thought, Chris

·
Registered
940 Posts
I'm always a little apprehensive about used bikes....

you never know what people will try to hide to save som $$$$

and when I'm cruisin' the interstate at 100++, I want to make sure that shit hasn't been fu**ed with..

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The guy said that he tried to avoid a deer and laid it down at 15mph; the bike landed on him so the only thing that got scratched was the tail and the mirror. But unfortunately, it's been raced or something, and the distance that I'd have to coerce one of my friends to drive is too far to waste my time on a bike that's been raced and laid down. Thanks for the quick replies anyway, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
It is my humble opinion that most sportbikes whose owners have really ridden them have been laid down or dropped at least once. It wouldn't scare me if everything checks out.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by mvrk1

It is my humble opinion that most sportbikes whose owners have really ridden them have been laid down or dropped at least once. It wouldn't scare me if everything checks out.
not true for zbaron

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
looks like a 180 tire on that R1 instead of a 190. sure its not r6 with r1 badges? could be just me.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Yeah if he put race tires on it Im guessin some of those 15000mi. came on the track and thats not the kind of bike I would want. Ya need to look for some military guy (no offense guys thanks for protecting our freedom) who bought it doesnt ride much and either cant make the payments or wants some other toy like a car to try and pick up chicks. It seems that around San Diego alot of navy guys sell off bikes that have hardly even been ridden.

·
Registered
207 Posts
man, that's a sweet ass looking bike. Will the dude let you take it out for a spin if you meet him cuz then u'd at least have some idea of how the bike is mechanically. Other then that, I know i'd have a problem saying no to that bike for $5200 bux

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.