Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question: does anyone take their bike to one of those Car Lovers / spray wash places? Nothing could replace the Mr Sheen and soft rag that the fairing gets but what about those-hard-to-get-to places, around the chain and monoshock? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
116 Posts
NO

you'll pressure wash the inside of your shocks.

those fork / shock seals are good for water like rain and riding through puddles, but a powerwasher will just spray water in the shock and fork and fuck them up.

the springs will rust, you will have to rebuild.

keep high pressure water away from your motorcycle.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just about to- water restrictions.

As previously mentioned- careful with the high pressure. I'm going to brign a sponge with me and low pressure wash it there. Takes time, though.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the defninitive "No" Mike :) - I kinda thought it'd be something like that. Saw a TV show recently where a guy high-pressure hosed down a naked Triumph... so was wondering.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
If you just use the water that comes out when you don't depress the trigger you might be alright. The problem with washing the bike there is that you have to get it dry or soak yourself on the ride home lol
Edit: of course this is a good time to wear your shorts and flip flops LOL (this is a joke I don't suggest anyone ride without proper MC gear) :D

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Fuck that, just ride your bike though the automatic wash, that way both you and your bike gets a wash and you get air dired.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2k6r - tried that already, lost one of my flip-flops. j/k :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Aw man don't degrade the thongs- call 'em by their true name. Or pluggers.

By the way those north of the equator I'm not talking about underwear.

Take a chamois with you so you dry it there.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
WOuld say NO WAY...

Them pressure washers as stated remove needed grease and mess with the bearings.

Me Personally hardly ever let water touch my bikes.
Maybe for only seriously caked on bug splatter,warm wash clothe and hand soap.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
If you don't rinse the dirt off before you start swirling away with wax and or whatever cleaning agent you use, you are just smearing dirt and dust, which is abrasive, all over your precious paint :D

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,894 Posts
Originally posted by trashmonkey
If you don't rinse the dirt off before you start swirling away with wax and or whatever cleaning agent you use, you are just smearing dirt and dust, which is abrasive, all over your precious paint :D
2nd. Water doesn't hurt a motorcycle. You just have to use common sense (i.e. don't set the hose on 'jet' and spray straight into the intake for two minutes). The good old rinse and wash is the best way to remove dirt and stuff, then some non-volitile degreaser stuff like Plexus to remove the real stubborn stuff, then wash it again with dish soap to remove the oil crap that Plexus puts on the bike (you can plexus it and leave it if you want, but it'll never shine like a good wax), then dry it real good and wax it.

When I really detail my bike I remove all the plastics and wash and wax them individually, then degrease the frame and engine and suspension and all that good stuff and detail all the hoses and metal bits, then put the plastics back on and give it a final buffing. It's theraputic.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Originally posted by dragknt

2nd. Water doesn't hurt a motorcycle. You just have to use common sense (i.e. don't set the hose on 'jet' and spray straight into the intake for two minutes). The good old rinse and wash is the best way to remove dirt and stuff, then some non-volitile degreaser stuff like Plexus to remove the real stubborn stuff, then wash it again with dish soap to remove the oil crap that Plexus puts on the bike (you can plexus it and leave it if you want, but it'll never shine like a good wax), then dry it real good and wax it.

That's quite a job. I'll just stick to the water spray, honda cleaner, final dry buff method. Maybe over the winter I'll do your way.

When I really detail my bike I remove all the plastics and wash and wax them individually, then degrease the frame and engine and suspension and all that good stuff and detail all the hoses and metal bits, then put the plastics back on and give it a final buffing. It's theraputic.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
We are talking about a hand held pressure spray of water right?

Just keep it away from any bearings. Your plastics/glass, tank, frame and wheels (except for the hub/center) don't have a problem with high pressure water.

But sure, it is easy to cause damage.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
When I was living in the dorms that was the only way I could wash my bike... I would put it on the lower pressure no spot rinse... If you take your own sponge with you just use the soap that comes out of the scruber thing and your set... Oh yea make sure you take something to dry it off with...

Now that I have my own place I use a hose, low pressure nozzle... Try and stay away from the intake and exhaust, the electricals will be fine as they were ment to get wet once and a while due to rain, just dont soke them in water all day...

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Like I said earlier....the water pressure that comes out when the trigger is NOT being depressed is not at high pressure, it's just above being a mist, and I can't see how at this level would cause any damage. I personally use my garden hose with a spray attachment. I obviously don't stick the hose down the exhaust or run it up the air intakes, or try to flood any part of the bike. It is my opinion that I would rather do all of this at my house rather than have to spend money at the carwash and dry my bike there. When I clean my bike, I clean my bike..it isn't a 5 or 10 minute deal for me lol :D

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
just use normal out of the tap water, the pressure level there is fine.
You can wash your bike just fine with a good automotive soap (I like mothers).

Rinse bike, apply soap, rinse bike again. Don't spray water in the ignition/gauges area, down the exhaust, or in the ram air intake, but at the same time don't freak out if some water does get in/on these area's.

For getting stubborn stuff like flung chain wax, I like simple green. Spray on, wipe off, rinse, don't let it dry onto metal.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.