Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I have bought a 2003 zx6rr for the track.
I am having a problem with 3rd gear.
I can select it when the bike is on the stand but when ridden it just seems to bounce around not engaging the gear.
Spoke to the guy I bought it from and he said he had no issues. The only thing that was changed when given to me was the oil.

When i select 3rd when stood still the bike will set off no problem.

Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Usually the problem in this engine is in the gearbox. And the big problem is, if u want to repair it you must open the entire engine...
Sorry for my english

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Usually the problem in this engine is in the gearbox. And the big problem is, if u want to repair it you must open the entire engine...
Sorry for my english
Thanks for your reply.
Spoke to a guy on another forum and he gave me some great advise
So I pulled out the engine and split the cases.
Found one really bad shift fork and rounded dogs on 3rd gear.
Just need to get the parts and rebuild. With the right advise you can do it yourself. I am an electrician so very different.

·
Registered
10 Posts
this video from Youtube is when i broke my gear on my trackbike.

when at home i checked my engine, i had 2 gear and 3 selector broken.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Seems like Kawi bikes prone to have tranny issue. I am looking to buy 2003/04 zx636, any advise anyone ?
Bike already have 41,500 km on it, valve clearance was done on 21+++ km. Start right up when I go to see it in the seller home.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The 03/04 636s are usually known for being bullet proof from what Ive read (which is alot lol). I just got a 03 recently with 14k miles and have had no problems. As long as its had basic maintenance everything should be good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts