Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the street or tracks? How do you do it? I know you have to press the hell out of the rear brake, but still what else must you do?

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Derrrrrr using the rear brake like that is begging for the sky, earth, sky, earth, sky, earth AMBULANCE treatment.

Generally what you're seeing on the way in is a combination of engine braking and heavy braking on the part of the front wheel. If you're doing it at the limit, the rear wheel is essentially hovering over pavement - this combined with engine braking tends to get things a little sideways on the way in.

As for exit, erm it's pretty simple really, just roll on the throttle a little harder - eventually things will begin to slide. If you end up on your ass or dropping ass in your pants - it's your own damn fault!

Have fun!:D

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
if you have to ask, please dont do it ;)

i would never consider riding at this limit on the streets....the traction on the streets isnt nearly as predicable as the track.....

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't want to try on the street.
HA, it's a good thing you mentioned not to use the rear break on the way in. I was thinking about it in my engineering class today.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Also called squaring the corner. Ex dirt-trackers tend to do this more than most and helps you to be pointed in the right direction out of the corner quicker. Works for some and not for others. Watch Aaron Yates sometime, that's how he makes his biggest corner moves.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I lost all respect for Yates after he bumped off some guy on a privateer R1 at Road America this year - fuck that guy!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
it happens...troy baliss crashed bad on a WUL and he's a pretty good rider..not like they have total control over things

·
Registered
348 Posts
I used to be able to do it on my 00 ZX7. Like they said the most predictable way is to just add more power on the way out. The 7 slides WAY more predictably the my 636 does. It will help if the bike is front heavy like the 7 is, makes it want to slide rather then wheelie out. Find a good clean corner (just go to a track) and roll on the throttle earlier and harder then the time before. Small slides you may not even notice at first but dont try to go huge. And most of all if it gets to far out there DO NOT CHOP THE THROTTLE!!! If you do you are in for one hell of a high side. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
ive drifted in the wet sometimes accidently. a little to much acceleration going around a corner finds the butt end of your ride beside you. i wouldnt recommend drifting unless of course your a millionare cat(with nine lives).
Glenn

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
actaully i find it easier to slide the rear on wet streets and can do it pretty controlled. I find it hard as hell to break my rear loose or dry clean payment... neevrtheless it's not something you want to just jump into too...you sorta have to have really good throttle control and can't panic when the rear breaks loose....it's a cool feeling...I want to start riding dirt so I can experience this more...

·
Registered
57 Posts
backing it is done (if you do it properly) with the clutch.
yes i have tested this theory going into turn at road atlanta on accident while trying to find shift points. i kicked a downshift earlier and didn't blip while letting out clutch like i normally do, with the blip. result? rear end broke loose and kicked out opposite of the way i started to lean.

for leaving darkies, basically what everyone has said, but don't get stupid with it. when you start to lift up out of the corner add about a quarter turn (don't be hamfisted, you have to feel it out) to the throttle and lift your butt off the seat a little bit. i normally put a lot of body weight onto the outside peg. as mentioned, don't chope the throttle! you WILL get the errie silence that preseades a asphault impact. (if you know what it's like to highside then you know what i'm talking about)

·
Registered
150 Posts
i hate that eerie silence b4 any stupid accident you have in any vehicle... ive had that silence in almost everyone of my cars, trucks, bikes, atv's and even on my skateboard... lol..

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Eerie silence? Even without a helmet? hmmmm

My favorite has to be when the bike slides AND wheelies at the same time - I fucking LIVE for that. There's one road around here that was repaved and the compound they used is just perfect for it. Scares the shit out of all the high-school girlies too when class is getting out muhuhahahAHAHH!

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
That's hard to say Tommy, I might make it, or I might spend part of my summer racing over in Europe - I haven't figured it out yet.

If we did a group meet, it'd be HELLA COOL if we could do it at a track somewhere. I don't know though, things are too far away for me to make a sure say. About a month out I'll know exactly what I've got going on. Thanks for the offer though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.