Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 1995 Kawasaki zx9r that i'm about 95% sure it has a blown head gasket. I'm not much of a mechanic or do I have much money to pay a mechanic, so I was looking into seeing if anybody has any knowing about putting head gasket sealant into motorcycles? If not, is there an easy way to take the head off without taking off the engine on this model and year?

· Registered
5,076 Posts
You shouldn't if the gasket is actually blown. Its more of an insurance than a fix. Gaskets really are a small investment to keep your bike from leaking oil. Bikes run too high of compression to trust using sealant to hold everything in.

· Registered
3 Posts
Head Gaskets

Hi
Just my bit of experience with head gaskets which maybe of interest?
My ZX9R "97" B4 had three gaskets fail. When last one went cmplained to Kawasaki and even though I was several years out of warranty, they paid most of the costs for a new head and all the bits.
But the interesting thing was, my local engineer ordered all the bits but the barrel gasket they sent was a different part no and the gasket itself was much thicker than the original, hence lowering the compression. Never had a gasket fail since in another 20,000 miles. So changing your head gasket might be only half the problem as the early B models suffered from too higher compression, causing head gaskets to fail and ultimately the head itself.
Hope that helps
Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.