Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive only been on the exptress way about 10times max all for about a stretch of 3ish miles just to get a feel for it since i dont even have a license yet. and my notes so far...

1.visor down.
2. helmet TIGHTLY secured on because when you turn your head it feels like it will fall off!
3. riding on the e-way in general sucks.

I feel like im being thown around by the wind!like i actually feel my wheels schooch to the side when a big gust comes and my head is being knocked around from all the wind which makes it super uncomfortable and makes me feel like a gust of wind thats big enough could completely knock me off my bike :eek: ive tried coutching down getting my head closer to the wind screen but i can steel feel my head and upper body being moved around

what are tips or tricks you guys use to help you survive to death ride on these "super slabs"? Ive heard heavier bikes ride better the on e-way which makes me think the 650cc bikes might be better then i first guessed

· Registered
181 Posts
Just like they said, you get use to it. I live about an hour from my hometown and I ride back to see my nephew and I dont even notice anymore. Just lean over the tank, put your elbow on the tank, hold your head up with your hand and ride away. If youre feeling it flip out the passenger foot pegs and just lay down.

· Registered
401 Posts

· Registered
93 Posts
i commute to work with some highway parts every day, about 15-20 miles or so. It was nerve racking the first couple times but once you get used to it its not big thing. Just stay light on the bars so that wind gusts on your body dont translate into steering inputs.

· Registered
34 Posts
just like everyone else says, you will get used to it. when i first got my bike, i had to ride it from tampa to jacksonville. i think the first time a semi passed me, the first thought that went through my head was, "holy fucking shit, please dont run me off the road" because the gust from the semi moved my bike to the left. the next thought was "what the fuck did i just get myself into?" but, having a good 2 hour ride on the freeway, i got used to it, and adjusted myself to ride better and not become road kill by the semi's if they pass me. basically, i crouch down closer to the tank/windscreen, pull my knees closer to the tank, where it feels like i'm squeezing it, but i'm not, and kind of learn to counterbalance the wind. don't give up if you can't keep a completely straight line on the freeway, just do your best, and you will get better at it. i take the freeway to school everyday, just so i can get better at it, even though i can take main roads and avoid the freeway

· Registered
770 Posts
The only thing that i didn't like about it was revving at 11k.

Other than that, no problem.

And yes, much easier with a bigger bike.

· Registered
112 Posts
My sv650n (naked bike) feels like it's being tossed around more than my 09 ninja 250. In fact, the fairings on my ninja 250 makes it feel more stable than the sv650 which I believe is the heavier bike.

· Registered
308 Posts
Tips and Tricks for u my Friend
1 do the MSF Course then u will understand Riding better
2 it sounds like u got the wrong size helmet on 100% wrong size
3 maybe getting a License helps Just maybe

· Registered
170 Posts
You're just lacking experience. Even the larger 600cc+ bikes get blown around as they're only 30lbs. or so heavier. Once you gain some experience and buy a helmet that fits you'll become more comfortable doing it.

· Registered
912 Posts
The only thing I didn't like was revving at 9.5k for 30-45 minutes straight. It wasn't bad at my old job because I had to hit the highway for maybe 10 minutes at a time. The new job (and longer commute) pushed me over the edge and I got a 600. Still have to deal with high winds, semis and cagers but you get used to it. And I don't feel like I'm killing the engine anymore.

· Overwhelming Splendidery
13,506 Posts
You're just lacking experience. Even the larger 600cc+ bikes get blown around as they're only 30lbs. or so heavier. Once you gain some experience and buy a helmet that fits you'll become more comfortable doing it.
Bingo.

Bigger bikes get blown around too. You just need more seat time.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ive only been on the exptress way about 10times max all for about a stretch of 3ish miles just to get a feel for it since i dont even have a license yet. and my notes so far...
Tips and Tricks for u my Friend
1 do the MSF Course then u will understand Riding better
2 it sounds like u got the wrong size helmet on 100% wrong size
3 maybe getting a License helps Just maybe
i should probably calirfy on a few things haha.

1I have taken the MSF course but sinc eim only 17 i have to wait the 9month stretch :( (3months down)
2Im pretty sure i have the right helmet? One size down and it was to tight to fit my head but maybe im just not securing it tight enough?ill make it tighter when i go out next time.
3. And i said i dont have a license because i dont.I ride with my dad who does have his license and im not sure if this is every state but in VA you can ride on your motorcycle if someone 21 or older or 18 if family rides with you on their motorcycle or in a car around you. And i dont do a 3mile stretch because im worried about getting caught(because what im doing is legal) but because im still getting a feel for it and taking the very first exit i see.

But thank you all for the great advice,ill definatly go look into my helmet and try on my dads and brothers(theres are smalleer) and see if it helps

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.