Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to decat my 10R 2022 model and add a yoshimura to it. I am planning to add a piggyback for better fueling, which is the rapid bike evo. Will my engine be safe in the long run and are there any disadvantages of Rapid bike evo?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And what if I just decat the bike and dont tune it or add a piggy back. Will the engine still stay safe? People riding superbikes and racing, have told me that, it won’t and the engine of superbikes are strong enough.

·
41,236 Posts
Simply removing the cat will lean the a/f ratio. The ECM will try to compensate for it but I don't know if it will be able to. The only way to know for sure is to tune it. On the superbikes, they don't just rip the cat off and call it a day. They all have custom tunes, both a/f ratio and ignition timing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You won´t gain much, if any, from removing the cat. You need to de-restrict the ECU to expect improvement. Even exchanging the whole exhaust for an Akro won't give you anything unless, again, you de-restrict the ECU. You have more to gain from that alone, even if you left the stock exhaust in place. After de-restricting the ECU, the engine has to be tuned for whatever exhaust you are running, be that the stock one or any other, full system or just a slip-on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You won´t gain much, if any, from removing the cat. You need to de-restrict the ECU to expect improvement. Even exchanging the whole exhaust for an Akro won't give you anything unless, again, you de-restrict the ECU. You have more to gain from that alone, even if you left the stock exhaust in place. After de-restricting the ECU, the engine has to be tuned for whatever exhaust you are running, be that the stock one or any other, full system or just a slip-on.
I dont want any extra gains. I just want some sound and the engine to be safe. Thats it. If I dont tune the ecu, will the engine be harmed?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I dont want any extra gains. I just want some sound and the engine to be safe. Thats it. If I dont tune the ecu, will the engine be harmed?
Aside from deleting the cat, will you install a slip-on exhaust or do you plan to keep the stock muffler? Just removing the catalytic converter won´t affect the AFR. Plus, the '21-'22 ZX10R is way rich up top in the rpm range.

·
41,236 Posts
Aside from deleting the cat, will you install a slip-on exhaust or do you plan to keep the stock muffler? Just removing the catalytic converter won´t affect the AFR. Plus, the '21-'22 ZX10R is way rich up top in the rpm range.
Opening up the exaust (increasing flow) will always lean the AFR. The question is, will the ECM compensate for it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am planning to put an arrow slipon, keeping the cat intact due to different thoughts on the AFR and the ecu compensating it. Earlier I was planning to decat, but now I dont think so.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Opening up the exaust (increasing flow) will always lean the AFR. The question is, will the ECM compensate for it?
Yes thats the question. And even if the ecu compensates it, will it do entirely or to an extent?
Yes, opening up the exhaust will lean out the AFR, but removing the cat barely moves that needle. The cat is designed to give the less gas restriction possible. Exchanging the muffler has much more lean-out potential than the cat.
About the AFR, the ECU running the stock fuel map, closes the throttle plates to a great extent up in the rev range so I would say, that even if you swap the muffler and delete the cat your engine will be safe. I still have to see a damaged engine due to just swapping the muffler. That won't happen. If you just want noise, that is mostly what you would get out of the mod. I'm of the idea that, even if you are not planning it just now, you will end up flashing the ECU. That bike is screaming for that. Check out YouTube, there are a couple very knowledgeable ones flashing that ECU.

·
41,236 Posts
Yes, opening up the exhaust will lean out the AFR, but removing the cat barely moves that needle. The cat is designed to give the less gas restriction possible. Exchanging the muffler has much more lean-out potential than the cat.
About the AFR, the ECU running the stock fuel map, closes the throttle plates to a great extent up in the rev range so I would say, that even if you swap the muffler and delete the cat your engine will be safe. I still have to see a damaged engine due to just swapping the muffler. That won't happen. If you just want noise, that is mostly what you would get out of the mod. I'm of the idea that, even if you are not planning it just now, you will end up flashing the ECU. That bike is screaming for that. Check out YouTube, there are a couple very knowledgeable ones flashing that ECU.
Correct. The only real gain to be had by removing the cat and leaving the stock header and muffler in place is weight reduction, but it will negligibly reduce the restriction. Exhaust tone would change, but I don't think it would be by much. Certainly not as much as replacing the muffler.

OP, I'd fully expect to see one or more fault codes as well. If you want to do this, the right way is with a full exhaust system replacement and either an ECU reflash or a Power Commander with a dyno tune.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you want to do this, the right way is with a full exhaust system replacement and either an ECU reflash or a Power Commander with a dyno tune.
Keep in mind that a P.Commander will not solve the throttle plates closing in the upper rev range restricting performance (to an unbelievably great extent on the latest generation 10R). The only way to solve this issue is by reflashing the ECU with a proper map. The P.Commander would be great after a generic tune is flashed into the ECU, allowing to fine tune the AFR (Autotune module required as well). A generic tune is one where you mail the ECU, and receive it back derestricted.

·
41,236 Posts
Yes thats the question. And even if the ecu compensates it, will it do entirely or to an extent?
No way to know without doing it.

Keep in mind that a P.Commander will not solve the throttle plates closing in the upper rev range restricting performance (to an unbelievably great extent on the latest generation 10R). The only way to solve this issue is by reflashing the ECU with a proper map. The P.Commander would be great after a generic tune is flashed into the ECU, allowing to fine tune the AFR (Autotune module required as well). A generic tune is one where you mail the ECU, and receive it back derestricted.
This. ^^^

1 - 15 of 15 Posts