Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not liking the way the stock tail light and turn signals of the 07 zx6 is hanging. All after market options use the same method and gives it a cheap look. I like the look of the tail and turn lights integrated in the rear fairing like the GSXR or the ZX10. Any one tried to fit the 07-zx10 rear fairing on the 07-zx6?? Any suggestion or recommendation??

·
Registered
104 Posts
I don't actually know for sure but just looking at pics of the 10, it's all one piece as oppossed to the 6 which has the extra two black side pieces that wrap around the muffler. I would imagine it mounts different. It also looks like the taillight is right where the muffler tip would need to be. It would be a sweet mod if someone could pull it off. After seeing this I looked up pics of the 10 and now I'm thinking of trying to find some used 10 turnsignals. If nothing else, those might work with a little tinkering. just a thought.

·
Registered
197 Posts
well I have a 07 ZX10 in my garage and ther eis no friggin way they will swap out inless you send a lot of time and money!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
off topic but kind of related....i'll be doing an 09 tail fairing on my 07 soon.
lol i read the title and thought someone was saying on 09 on the 07. was gona say that would be SICK!! but you beat me too it! god if i didnt want to sell my 07 for the 09 id deff do it!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well I have a 07 ZX10 in my garage and ther eis no friggin way they will swap out inless you send a lot of time and money!
Do you have the zx6 in the garage too and comparing by looking at both? or you are just guessing by remembering what the zx6 tail fairing looks like?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
off topic but kind of related....i'll be doing an 09 tail fairing on my 07 soon.
The 09 rear fairing looks nice. however, it only has the tail light built in the rear fairing and the trun signals are still hanging. so the problem is not solved unless you find a tail light that can act as turn signals too. let us know how it turns out and a write up will be nice.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Do you have the zx6 in the garage too and comparing by looking at both? or you are just guessing by remembering what the zx6 tail fairing looks like?
Have then side by side dude, and it would be a shit load of work man......real shit load

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have seen that pic on the net of someone putting the pics of that 09 tail on the 07 and I would love to do the same! looks wicked, but what are you going to do witht e pipe? Moto GP pipe I take it?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
easyest solution for the 09 on the 07 zx6r would be the whole subframe, i wonder if the 4 bolt mounting location are the same distance apart? it would also be the most expensive with getting a subframe and all. i think putting the plactics would be too though because all u need to do is make brackets to fit the right locations.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i bet you could run an 09 tail on an 07 and keep the exhaust...if im thinking correctly the header and midpipe are separated from the rear exhaust by just a s kind of bent piping and if you were to have someone bend a pipe with a different angle you could probably still keep the under the tail type exhuast...or at least i hope because i like that better than side pipes...but just a theory no really data on that yet (probably wishful thinking)

·
Registered
92 Posts
been building custom bikes for a while

mostly yamahas but most of the rules still apply
i have swapped tails on 3 different r1s

if you are looking to swap a literbike tail onto a 600 understand the majority of the time the since the engine is bigger most likely the subframe will be wider

if you want to seriously undertake this project let me lay down some insight
parts you will need
07 zx10 subframe
07zx10 plastics
zx10 tailight/ turnsignals and all wiring associated with
zx10 passenger pegs

first off the subframe is aluminum if im not mistaken so go find your self a shop that does aluminum specific welding......alot harder then standard welding

you will first off test fit the zx10 subframe and check that they have similar mounting points....if you can slide the subframe between the fram then thats a great start if not then you will have to chop both the zx6r subframe and the zx10 suframe and will have to weld these together

things to consider

the angle of the tail....since most likely the mounting points on the subframes will be different it will change the angle of the tail

when you hack the zx10 subframe make sure you are not cutting off any area where the tail plastics mount also when you are measuring the are that will be the existing zx6r tail also consider what part is visible when the tail section is mounted..... also check that you cut the tail the right length or it will look funny

well i hope that atleast gets you a start

·
Registered
99 Posts
i thought about doing a custom tail swap but that would force me into a motogp style exhaust er something, but i would like to get a tail off of an older 636 or the new zx6r

i think this tail would look sweet, and the mirrors

1 - 20 of 22 Posts