Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That title really doesn't adaquately communicate my thought.... let me explain.

I have been crusing through the board doing searches on highsides and trying to understand the mechanics (rider errors, conditions, etc.) that contribute to this type of single-vehicle crash. Since I am in the begining stages of thinking about an eventual 600cc class upgrade (next summer at the EARLIEST), and have been watching several videos where bikes "appear" to randomly highside, I am a little intimidated by the thought of being thrown from a tiny lapse in form or sloppy techique.

Since riding my 250, I have never felt the bike could "accidently" throw me, because it is so forgiving and doesn't have the extra power..... so that is the background, but it got me to thinking.... CAN you get bucked off a 250r in the same way as the bigger bikes doing the same thing, or would you really have to try?

Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You can high side anything. A high side happens when the rear wheel loses traction and slides out of alignment from the front. Then when gaining traction it jerks the bike causing you to fly.

Easiest way of high siding is to lock the rear brake and then release it with the wheels out of alignment. The only difference between the 250 and the 600 is that the brakes are not as grabby so its harder to lock the rear.

Also you can highside from a tank slapper or headshake. I don't think this type discriminates between bikes, you really need a steering dampener if your worried about this.

Basically high side can happen to any bike, its just that since the 250 has less power and braking ability its a lot harder to get those wheels out of alignment.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
You can high side anything. A high side happens when the rear wheel loses traction and slides out of alignment from the front. Then when gaining traction it jerks the bike causing you to fly.

Easiest way of high siding is to lock the rear brake and then release it with the wheels out of alignment. The only difference between the 250 and the 600 is that the brakes are not as grabby so its harder to lock the rear.

Also you can highside from a tank slapper or headshake. I don't think this type discriminates between bikes, you really need a steering dampener if your worried about this.

Basically high side can happen to any bike, its just that since the 250 has less power and braking ability its a lot harder to get those wheels out of alignment.
:plusone:

The 250 is a very forgiving bike, you can get away with a lot of stuff that a bigger bike would hurt you for. It makes very little power, so throttle control isn't much of an issue, just hold it wide open, lol. You can really mash on the brakes and they won't lock up and spit you off like something else might. Plus the light weight and skinny tires mean you can really toss the thing around, and the bike is a lot more controllable in less than ideal conditions, like rain or running over gravel.

My first bike was a Ninja 500, I got away with a lot of stuff on that bike that would have spit me off if I were riding something else.

·
Labia Grappler
3,744 Posts
CAN you get bucked off a 250r in the same way as the bigger bikes doing the same thing, or would you really have to try?

Hope that makes sense.
A friend of mine who rode bikes for over 30 years got bucked off my 04' 250. He high sided at about 45 mph and landed himself in the hospital for 3 days and suffered a broken wrist (8 places), and a fractured vertebrae. The answer is YES.

·
Registered
188 Posts
i've highsided a ysr50 on the gas coming out of a chicane. gave me a slight concussion. you can highside anything if you push it hard enough and don't react the right way when it starts to slide.

the throttle control/power issue is the only difference.... that and suspension setup i guess. tires will make a difference too. some are more forgiving than others.

ps: if you're doing anything that can cause a high side on the street... then you should really get your ass to the track before you wrap yourself around a street sign or a barbed wire fence.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
A friend of mine who rode bikes for over 30 years got bucked off my 04' 250. He high sided at about 45 mph and landed himself in the hospital for 3 days and suffered a broken wrist (8 places), and a fractured vertebrae. The answer is YES.
Don't get me wrong, you can crash and hurt yourself on a two fiddy, a good friend of mine that is the best rider I know had his last crash on his VTR250. Cleaned off a mailbox mounted to a 4x4 post with it. He was really hauling ass when it happened though, he basically just took the tires to the limit and they both lost traction and into the ditch he went.

He had a track day planned three days later, and ended up doing it on his R1 with a little fresh road rash and a couple cracked ribs, lol.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the clarification guys.
The ones that are the spookiest are the videos of people just pulling out of a lot, not appearing to be pushing it, that HS. I guess they must be pushing it then...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thanks for the clarification guys.
The ones that are the spookiest are the videos of people just pulling out of a lot, not appearing to be pushing it, that HS. I guess they must be pushing it then...

Nice thread! I had the same concerns as you. I see those people flying off bike in parking lot and just doing normal stuff...I was getting a little bit scared.

What scares me the most is the uncontrollable factors, like small gravel in a corners..where theres not much to do until its too late.

·
Registered
188 Posts
the parking lot issue is all about throttle control and knowing how to handle the situation (a slide)

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
I almost highsided at the track a couple weeks ago. But I hit a patch of dust/dirt so that's why.

Other than that, you can roll onto the throttle 100% most all of the time. But shit still happens sometimes.

I don't touch the rear brake much so not really worried about tossing myself off in that way.

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
Probably not. Just a bunch of track days for me is all I've got planned.

·
Registered
727 Posts
just look far ahead on the road and pay attention and don't push it so far that there is no room to react if something happened. Always be thinking of escape routes and always prepared to hit the breaks at every second. It's tough at first but after awhile it becomes second nature!
+1

·
Registered
60 Posts
my bike high sided while I was in a parking lot. I don't know it happed. But I caught it and the bike smashed my hand against the ground.... what ever I did...first mistake in 4k miles.... :S

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Well, considering that most high sides are caused by the loss of rear wheel traction at the exit of a turn from too much throttle, I would consider the 250 to be harder to highside, but definitely possible.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I've seen those guys on you tube who highside in the parking lot after their new purchase.

#1 I don't see them as being very experienced riders.

#2 With the power of these bikes and the brand new tires under them, last thing you want to do is goose the throttle like they do just off the showroom floor, something about the stuff they use to get the tires out of the mold still being on the tires is, needless to say, not meant to stick to much of anything.

#3 See #1

#4 Look into tire break in while your looking into engine break in.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts